R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 01-03-2004, 07:01 PM   #1
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default BEST stock motor for truck

I'm a nitro guy getting into electric trucks, so what the BEST stock motor for a truck???? I also need a speed controller?? At the moment my club only runs stock truck but for big events I may run mod so the speed controller must handle that as well.
lineburner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2004, 07:18 PM   #2
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to LosiFromHell986

what kind of truck you runnin'? I'd say for a good speed control, even though they're not in business anymore, is Tekin. Look on Ebay for Tekin, and you'll find loads. I'd suggest a Tekin G12 or G9. Both have no motor limit, and forward/brake. If you want reverse I'd go for the Novak Super Rooster. Here's a pic of a Tekin G12... without the Heatsinks on it, they usually come with 'em.

As for stock motors, I dont run stock motors but I'd go with the Epic "Banned" motor... I hear its REALLY fast...
Attached Images
File Type: gif g12ciii.gif (12.2 KB, 228 views)
LosiFromHell986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2004, 08:16 PM   #3

its my understanding that you can no longer get a tekin speed control or charger serviced anymore, ssoooo, if you buy one and it quits for what ever reason your out, buy something new that you can get fixed or replaced if something happens to it. as for motors there is no best, only what you prefer. i have had great success using a core stock, p2k, and old paradox and even older midnight. but you don't want to run one of the motors designed for high rpm and low torque they usually run hot and that will wear them more quickly. although i hear the new epic quad magnet motor is pretty good too. buy your stuff at the race track where you race. it keeps them in business and they should know how to help you.
ritchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2004, 08:36 PM   #4
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to etzkev

A good speed control to look at is the LRP IPC Pro Sport. I have two of them, and I really like them. They are even fairly well-priced. They have no motor limit either!

On to the motor situation. In my opinion, the monster stock is the best for EVERYTHING. I use it in my touring car and my buggy. Go with the Monster Stock motor or the Epic Binary 2 (which is the same as the monster stock, but just has 4 magnets instead of 2).

If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

etzkev
etzkev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2004, 08:47 PM   #5
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to LosiFromHell986

Quote:
Originally posted by ritchie
its my understanding that you can no longer get a tekin speed control or charger serviced anymore, ssoooo, if you buy one and it quits for what ever reason your out, buy something new that you can get fixed or replaced if something happens to it.
Looking at my experiance with Tekin, My impression is they are very reliable, and if one DOES go out on you, go to ebay and odds are you'll find one exactly like or better than the one you had, for cheaper. I'm talking about the ESCs not Chargers, I have no experiance with their chargers. I've had two, and both haven't givin up, I have a G12 and a Rebel, and I love 'em both.
LosiFromHell986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2004, 12:42 AM   #6
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to nutfluff

For 1/10th stadium trucks it's ALL about a P2K2...monsters aren't "torqy" enough for a truck....
nutfluff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2004, 06:42 AM   #7
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Not quite sure if it will be a B4 or a Matt frances XXXT but alot of guys here are running Novak Gt7 & P2K2 is that a good combo for a truck?????
lineburner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2004, 06:52 AM   #8

Post motor

if its the mfe xxx-t
and using a p2k2pro or orion stock motor
go with a gearing of 19 or 20 on the pinion and use the stock red spur
muggleh8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2004, 08:22 AM   #9
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 156 (100%+)

I would go with, LRP 7.1 digital, and an orion core stock motor. Thats what i run, i gear it 19/86 on my XXX-T. Fast and reliable. The orion seems to hold up for a longer lenth of time then the trinity motors. The magnets in the can stay stronger and have great performance. Just my $.02
Old 01-06-2004, 01:14 PM   #10
Tech Fanatic

I just don't understand why you guys like those Orion Core Stock motors. THEY ARE TERRIBLE (I guess I shouldn't say "Terrible", but they aren't even close to Monsters or P2K2's). Orion fools you into thinking they have better stats on the label, but they are testing the motors at 7.2 Volts! All of trinity's are tested at the normal 5 Volts. The sad thing is that still, the orion's don't even have that much better stats even though they were tested at 2.2 Volts higher! I used an orion, and now it is in my lathe. The orion just does not compare to a P2K2 or a Monster Stock. That is the truth.

-etzkev
Old 01-06-2004, 05:25 PM   #11
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 156 (100%+)

Well the numbers on the package the motors come in do not mean a thing. Its all what you can make the motor do by tuning it. I have had great success with the mvp also, as i am sure many others have also. But the orion may not be the best, but it lasts alot longer, and does not wear as fsat as opposed to the trinity motors. Thats from experience. Anyone can have a blistering fast motor last one five minute run, but if you can't drive your car, you don't need all the power. I dont' want to make this an argument, i am just saying what works for me.
Old 01-06-2004, 06:04 PM   #12
Tech Apprentice

if you are willing to spend spme money buy a quantum 2 this has some of the best features
http://www.rc10.com/lrp/index.htm

visit this and explore the features that it has i think you will like it

the only problem is that it cost 160 but it's worth it

as far as a motor goes monster is the best if you want to run mod a reedy kr motor is really good that is the motor that billy won the 2003 IFMAR 2WD Buggy class in and barry baker also won the 2003 reedy race with that motor but if you are just runing stock the monster is the way to go

Last edited by nick b.; 01-06-2004 at 06:10 PM.
nick b. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2004, 06:07 PM   #13
Tech Apprentice

you might have to copy paste that hyper link
nick b. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2004, 08:35 PM   #14
Tech Adept

burner... if that combo is working and most of the racers are using it then i would just go with that. it helps when looking for help tuning.

brian,,, i agree, package numbers mean nothing. the brushes aren't even broke in. in a truck gearing is everything, and thats for which ever motor you use. i perfer a larger then stock spur gear to help the truck get off the corners better. i suppose you could even find gearing to make a monster work. what i would suggest to the other guy is first... buy a truck...take the motor off the lathe, cut the comm down to around .280 install a set of high silver brushes. purple spring on pos and red on neg. gear it down a tooth or two from what the p2k2 is and go kick some butt.
vanguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2004, 07:53 AM   #15
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by Brian Miskolczi
Well the numbers on the package the motors come in do not mean a thing. Its all what you can make the motor do by tuning it. I have had great success with the mvp also, as i am sure many others have also. But the orion may not be the best, but it lasts alot longer, and does not wear as fsat as opposed to the trinity motors. Thats from experience. Anyone can have a blistering fast motor last one five minute run, but if you can't drive your car, you don't need all the power. I dont' want to make this an argument, i am just saying what works for me.
I agree with you totally on a motors performance is how you tune it. What it does out of the box means nothing. But, if you tune a Core stock and a Monster Stock or a P2K2 to its best, the monster or the P2k2 is still going to come out on top of the Core. I also agree with you saying that the Core lasts longer. Thats all.

-etzkev