R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 01-07-2004, 02:54 PM   #16
Tech Elite

For Truck,

P2K all the way! Still one of the best motors out there. And, they work great in buggies and 4wd too. For xxx buggy, just throw a 21 pinion on there, and rock and roll. They don't make tons of heat, are efficient and fast. My motor of choice, unless your on an open sweeping track, then go for a monster.
PitCrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2004, 10:19 PM   #17
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

ya id have to agree with pit crew. p2k or monster trinity makes a great motor. or fantom ..
ROLLINGaFTGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2004, 10:11 PM   #18
Tech Addict

P2K2 PRO and Novak Dually ESC are good. Plenty of torque and low end power while still having a good top end.
Techart27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2004, 01:36 PM   #19
Tech Addict

Send a message via AIM to xxxssportracer Send a message via Yahoo to xxxssportracer
Default Cars

I run a XXX-T M/F edition off-road truck. In stock I prefer a lightspeed monster stock, or a hellfire either one with an 18t pinion. My motors stat cool with this setting, and I run on a pretty large track, 8400 sq. feet indoor. My esc of choice is a tekin G12c or the G2. And yes you can have them fixed by revtech I believe, or I know someone that fixes them, I got an order back from them and they are perfect. -Dave
xxxssportracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2004, 09:28 PM   #20
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to TexRacer

etzkev-Sorry bud Im not sure where your experience comes from but on MOST local tracks a core will out run a Monster on smaller tracks.A monster has Great RPM but not the midlevel RPM nor torque that a Core has.I personally LOVE the Core's and Peak Hellfire's(Same Motor).Install Reedy 767 brushes on them and they come alive.Even try a 767 on the + and a 766 on the - and watch what happens.For BIG fast flowing tracks sure put a Monster in and gear it LOW.But my Core will smoke you throughout the infield 9x's out of 10.Sad thing is if done right they will come close to hanging on the straight.
If the track is 3-4 straightaways with a few jumps then sure a Monster will be great but then 2-3 weekends in it's doesnt have ANY magnet strength left.A core or hellfire will.
The P2k with the right brushes is a great stock motor from the Epic/Trinity Family,then the P2k2.The Monster will run fine on bigger tracks but on smaller or medium sized TIGHT tracks this is NOT the motor of choice.Sorry you chose that motor for your lathe but when you learn how to tune a motor it will be a runner.
P.S.If you pay attention to Fantom #'s then this explains your inexperience.
Old 01-10-2004, 09:40 PM   #21
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to etzkev

Quote:
Originally posted by TexRacer
etzkev-Sorry bud Im not sure where your experience comes from but on MOST local tracks a core will out run a Monster on smaller tracks.A monster has Great RPM but not the midlevel RPM nor torque that a Core has.I personally LOVE the Core's and Peak Hellfire's(Same Motor).Install Reedy 767 brushes on them and they come alive.Even try a 767 on the + and a 766 on the - and watch what happens.For BIG fast flowing tracks sure put a Monster in and gear it LOW.But my Core will smoke you throughout the infield 9x's out of 10.Sad thing is if done right they will come close to hanging on the straight.
If the track is 3-4 straightaways with a few jumps then sure a Monster will be great but then 2-3 weekends in it's doesnt have ANY magnet strength left.A core or hellfire will.
The P2k with the right brushes is a great stock motor from the Epic/Trinity Family,then the P2k2.The Monster will run fine on bigger tracks but on smaller or medium sized TIGHT tracks this is NOT the motor of choice.Sorry you chose that motor for your lathe but when you learn how to tune a motor it will be a runner.
P.S.If you pay attention to Fantom #'s then this explains your inexperience.
You are right that I am not an expert which you sound like. But, probably the reason I bashed a core is because the only experience I had with it was with a Touring Car which, obviously require that extra rpm. After your advice, I just might even take my core out of my lathe and try it out in my truck or buggy. And I know that the Monster will die on you quicker too. But I do not understand it when you say "If you pay attention to Fantom #'s then this explains your inexperience". Please explain!

-etzkev
etzkev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2004, 09:46 PM   #22
Tech Elite

It's due to the Fantom being one of the WORST dyno's out when it comes to comparing #'s.Expecially if your trying to gear off it.
Let me ask in your sedan.
#1 what sedan are you running?
What is the track size?Is it tight?Do they have a website?
What motor do you run now and what is the gearing?
Old 01-11-2004, 07:27 AM   #23
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
It's due to the Fantom being one of the WORST dyno's out when it comes to comparing #'s.Expecially if your trying to gear off it.
Let me ask in your sedan.
#1 what sedan are you running?
What is the track size?Is it tight?Do they have a website?
What motor do you run now and what is the gearing?
I am running a TC3 FT. The track is very long but skinny. I would say it is a medium sized track. There is one long straight, and the rest changes every week. Sometimes it is tight, but most of the time it is in-between real tight and real loose. They don't have a website. Now, in my seday, I run the Monster stock, which seems like pretty much everyone else uses also. Gearing is 21/75.

The second track I race at (not as often) is a medium track which isn't real tight. They do have a website; www.larrysperformancercs.com The track setup in the picture is quite different from the one they have now. It is the same situation here. I run the monster stock, and so does pretty much everyone else there. Gearing is 21/75.

-etzkev
Old 01-11-2004, 07:49 AM   #24
Tech Elite

Next Time you try a core put a Reedy 767 on both sides with the same springs.If you drill a hole or put a slit down the middle of the brush this will help with heat issue's.
I would try 23/75 or 24/75 on the Larry's track.It doesnt matter if it gets hot it doesnt seem to bother them.
The Core motor's are known for having some TIGHT bushings.What you can do is disassemble the motor,put some old tooth paste on each end of the shaft going through the bushing.Put the part where the pinion goes in a Dremel and turn it on.NOTE* make sure the brushes and springs are OUT of the motor at this time.Your just breaking in the bushings.Run it for 3-4 minutes in which it will get a lil warm.Take the dremel off,disassemble the motor and clean well.Install the new brushes(767's),and springs and oil it.Try running it and see what you think.At larry's you may get beat a lil on whatever straight they have but the motor should do you well on the other area's of the track and maybe have more pull from the corners.It's not low end torque we are looking for like on offroad but instead midrange torque due to the car carrying speed.When I say pull from the corner Im not speaking of from a dead stop but at about 8-13 MPH.Goodluck racing guys and have a good time.Thats what it's all about.
Old 01-11-2004, 08:16 AM   #25

btw guys, if any of you have any old but still good midnights or paradoxs, drop me a pm.
ritchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2004, 10:32 AM   #26
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Next Time you try a core put a Reedy 767 on both sides with the same springs.If you drill a hole or put a slit down the middle of the brush this will help with heat issue's.
I would try 23/75 or 24/75 on the Larry's track.It doesnt matter if it gets hot it doesnt seem to bother them.
The Core motor's are known for having some TIGHT bushings.What you can do is disassemble the motor,put some old tooth paste on each end of the shaft going through the bushing.Put the part where the pinion goes in a Dremel and turn it on.NOTE* make sure the brushes and springs are OUT of the motor at this time.Your just breaking in the bushings.Run it for 3-4 minutes in which it will get a lil warm.Take the dremel off,disassemble the motor and clean well.Install the new brushes(767's),and springs and oil it.Try running it and see what you think.At larry's you may get beat a lil on whatever straight they have but the motor should do you well on the other area's of the track and maybe have more pull from the corners.It's not low end torque we are looking for like on offroad but instead midrange torque due to the car carrying speed.When I say pull from the corner Im not speaking of from a dead stop but at about 8-13 MPH.Goodluck racing guys and have a good time.Thats what it's all about.
Thanks for the help. I'm going to do the toothpaste thing. I just installed it on my new XXX-T, and I will see what happens. Are there any disadvantages to putting a slit in the brush face?

-etkzev
Old 01-11-2004, 01:45 PM   #27
Tech Elite

If you put the core in your XXXT gear it 86/18 or 88/18-19
Putting a small slit in the face will loose a very small amount of torque.Not even noticeable without a dyno really in offroad.
A slit down the middle of the brush from top to bottom just helps with heat issue's.Make sure the brush hoods are aligned.
Old 01-11-2004, 04:55 PM   #28
Tech Fanatic

Yeah, right now I have the core in my XXX-T (with the stock spur, which I'm not sure of the tooth number) and I have an 18T pinion on. I'm gonna go to the track and see how it works out.
Old 01-11-2004, 05:00 PM   #29
Tech Elite

If the spur is green in color thats 88.
If it's red it's 86
Purple is 84
Old 01-11-2004, 05:13 PM   #30
Tech Regular

tex- have you ever cut the 767's down to a square shape on your core? like that "Big Jim" has in his book.
xxxtracer32 is offline   Reply With Quote