Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Mamba Maxx 4600 system getting hot >

Mamba Maxx 4600 system getting hot

Mamba Maxx 4600 system getting hot

Old 06-18-2009, 02:12 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)
Default Mamba Maxx 4600 system getting hot

I recently built a OFNA hyper mini stE and I have it equipped with a 4600 mamba since I figured the 5700 would be on the brink of too much heat. Well, my 4600 is still getting pretty darn hot. Im running it on the stock 14t pinion and a 3s TP 5000 40c propack. After just five or so minutes the esc is too hot for me to rest my finger on. I wish I didnt break my temp gun so I could give you an exact number.

Thing is I thought If I lowered the timing on the motor it would help. It was on normal with start power at low, I just changed it to the next lower timing and left the start power at low since there is nothing lower there. For some reason it felt just as hot just as quick if not a little bit hotter even. Is the trick to gear way down now and then raise the timing to get my torque back? The speed is above awesome the way it is right now. Id say Im pushing close to 50mph. Any ideas?
Old 06-18-2009, 03:54 PM
Dan
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

If you're running 3S and close to 50mph, I would gear it down to around 40mph. It should lower the temps quite a bit.
Old 06-18-2009, 04:01 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 118 (100%+)

Ride also think about getting a heat sink for your motor and a fan for your esc , go on ebay they are pretty cheap. Also make sure to keep your timing on low , i dunno why this is happening but i would send it to castle to have it checked bc im running a mamba and 5700kv with stock gearing and it doesnt get too hot . Maybe that 3s pack is just to crazy for your setup aswell.
Old 06-18-2009, 08:39 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Justpassedu View Post
Ride also think about getting a heat sink for your motor and a fan for your esc , go on ebay they are pretty cheap. Also make sure to keep your timing on low , i dunno why this is happening but i would send it to castle to have it checked bc im running a mamba and 5700kv with stock gearing and it doesnt get too hot . Maybe that 3s pack is just to crazy for your setup aswell.
I just picked up a fan, and will be lowering the timing one more notch to make the car more driveable. Gonna get to setting that all up now. Heck my TC is for all out speed haha. Ill let you guys know if it cools me down enough. The whole chassis seems to be acting as a huge heatsink for the motor. Dont know how good of an idea that is though.
Old 06-19-2009, 08:50 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 268 (100%+)

you can also drill holes in the case of the ESC (take the ESC apart first) and then have a fan blowing into the ESC. This is what was done on my 1/8 scale Mamba Max setup before the Mamba Monster came along. worked quite well.

As for settings, if you are not getting any weird cogging or low end go backwards starts, leave the start power at low, and just adjust your timing setting to low. Rest you have to make up with gearing and cooling methods (heatsinks, fan, etc)
Old 06-19-2009, 01:25 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 118 (100%+)

also drill a few small holes in the body so the esc can get some air while your driving it , thats what i did ....
Old 06-20-2009, 04:34 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Cain View Post
you can also drill holes in the case of the ESC (take the ESC apart first)
I can totally see someone not doing that and ended up with some damaged circuit board and components!

If you have enough clearance, forced air down into the heatsink/extrusion is your best option, if the fan is smaller then the area of the extrusion, make sure to position the fan in the center, so air is blowing out both sides.