Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Cannot decide on a motor. (BL Hyper7 build) sick of researching. >

Cannot decide on a motor. (BL Hyper7 build) sick of researching.

Cannot decide on a motor. (BL Hyper7 build) sick of researching.

Old 06-16-2009, 08:39 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Cannot decide on a motor. (BL Hyper7 build) sick of researching.

Here is the deal. I bought a Hyper 7 roller a few years ago, and then dropped out of the rc game. I just recently got back into it and want to get this thing running finally.

I machined up the motor mount (except for the bolt pattern...) and esc mount and know where im putting the batteries and the rest of the goods, but I cannot decide on a one motor. I keep on flip flopping because I will read something bad about the one i wanted and just round and round I go. It is getting a little rediculous.

These are the motors I have been thinking of using.

Castle combo 2200
Feigao 580L
Feigao 10L
Feigao 7xl
maybe medusa around 2000-2350ish?
Other?

I already have a warrior 9920 esc (99 amp, 20 cell capacity) and would not mind using that. However, also would not mind getting that castle combo if it is deemed "worth it".

I know that i can use the feigao L motors with my 9920, but can I use the xl motors without the setup being too hot and blowing up my stuff?

How is the 2200 in a 1/8 buggy? I have heard the 580L puts out like 40% more power than the neucastle 2200. True?

Like I said, I have been out of the game for a while and my head is spinning with all of this new brushless technology. (when I left, the fastest traxxas rustler online was 62mph... now they go faster stock.)

Please, please. this seems like the place to go for brushless help. Straighten my problem out.
Old 06-16-2009, 08:44 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by randomletterz View Post
Here is the deal. I bought a Hyper 7 roller a few years ago, and then dropped out of the rc game. I just recently got back into it and want to get this thing running finally.

I machined up the motor mount (except for the bolt pattern...) and esc mount and know where im putting the batteries and the rest of the goods, but I cannot decide on a one motor. I keep on flip flopping because I will read something bad about the one i wanted and just round and round I go. It is getting a little rediculous.

These are the motors I have been thinking of using.

Castle combo 2200
Feigao 580L
Feigao 10L
Feigao 7xl
maybe medusa around 2000-2350ish?
Other?

I already have a warrior 9920 esc (99 amp, 20 cell capacity) and would not mind using that. However, also would not mind getting that castle combo if it is deemed "worth it".

I know that i can use the feigao L motors with my 9920, but can I use the xl motors without the setup being too hot and blowing up my stuff?

How is the 2200 in a 1/8 buggy? I have heard the 580L puts out like 40% more power than the neucastle 2200. True?

Like I said, I have been out of the game for a while and my head is spinning with all of this new brushless technology. (when I left, the fastest traxxas rustler online was 62mph... now they go faster stock.)

Please, please. this seems like the place to go for brushless help. Straighten my problem out.
stay away from feigao motors. They are not efficient and overheat all the time (hints the price). Get the mamba monster combo. If you are running a 4s lipo get the 2650 combo. If you are running 5s or 6s get the 2200 combo. Medusa motors are also great but i would still get the MMM combo over it.
Old 06-16-2009, 09:00 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by snowboard094 View Post
stay away from feigao motors. They are not efficient and overheat all the time (hints the price). Get the mamba monster combo. If you are running a 4s lipo get the 2650 combo. If you are running 5s or 6s get the 2200 combo. Medusa motors are also great but i would still get the MMM combo over it.
I feel like I would regret getting the smaller motor down the road. or would the 2200 be a little too rediculous in the buggy?

Here is what I want in the end. I want this buggy to be a little bit reduclous. maybe hard to control even. that is why the 580L caught my attention with having 40% more power than the neu castle 2200.

Battery-wise, I am willing to run/buy whatever is neccesary to get things a little cuckoo.
Old 06-16-2009, 09:07 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

The Medusa 60mm 2000kv have been doing awesome in buggies. We have 3 or 4 guys running them locally without any trouble. The 9920 should do fine with the Medusa or Castle. If you want the Castle, you might want to wait and get the new 1900kv motor they are working on.
Old 06-16-2009, 09:10 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by randomletterz View Post
I feel like I would regret getting the smaller motor down the road. or would the 2200 be a little too rediculous in the buggy?

Here is what I want in the end. I want this buggy to be a little bit reduclous. maybe hard to control even. that is why the 580L caught my attention with having 40% more power than the neu castle 2200.

Battery-wise, I am willing to run/buy whatever is neccesary to get things a little cuckoo.
The MMM's are completely programmable using a usb cable, you can program the esc on the computer. Trust me, both MMM systems will be out of control in that buggy on a nice lipo. Most racers tune down the power on the esc because it is to powerful. This system is very high quality and you don't want to blow your esc on a cheap battery.
Old 06-16-2009, 09:20 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Take a look at the new 1/8 tekin motors.

http://www.teamtekin.com/pm_8thscale.html
Old 06-17-2009, 05:41 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

def look at the tekin..prolly the better ones on the market
Old 06-17-2009, 06:34 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

If you want to use you old warrior esc, I would stick to a motor that is a little lower on the Kv scale. I have seen a couple of guys run a truggy motor in a buggy and it works just fine. For me, the Tekin 2050 works great for racing and has enough power to be fun too.