Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Need a little advice from the vets. >

Need a little advice from the vets.

Need a little advice from the vets.

Old 06-15-2009, 02:30 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default Need a little advice from the vets.

I started racing R/C's this year with no prior exp. I bought a Slash and raced it 3 race days. I recently bought a used Ofna 1/8 buggy roller and converted it brushless. I have a MMM with a 2650kv and a Thunder Power 3s 40c. The car is pretty fast and keeps up with the newer cars on the straights. Its just too fast for my skill level and I tend to send it too fast out of turns and off jumps. I feel like Im in the way on the track and most of the other guys have years of racing and I don't want to damage their expensive cars.

I watched the truggies and they seem much more forgiving and a buddy told me they are. My question is,think I would be better off putting my brushless gear in a truggy? They look easier to drive and I may get a better result and have more fun in something more rugged.
Old 06-15-2009, 02:37 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by CSaddict View Post
I started racing R/C's this year with no prior exp. I bought a Slash and raced it 3 race days. I recently bought a used Ofna 1/8 buggy roller and converted it brushless. I have a MMM with a 2650kv and a Thunder Power 3s 40c. The car is pretty fast and keeps up with the newer cars on the straights. Its just too fast for my skill level and I tend to send it too fast out of turns and off jumps. I feel like Im in the way on the track and most of the other guys have years of racing and I don't want to damage their expensive cars.

I watched the truggies and they seem much more forgiving and a buddy told me they are. My question is,think I would be better off putting my brushless gear in a truggy? They look easier to drive and I may get a better result and have more fun in something more rugged.
o yes truggies are WAY more forgiving but u still have to have skill to drive them..the truggy isnt going to make u instantly better but yes it is more forgiving...plus a 2650 in a buggy is WAY overpwered for racing
Old 06-15-2009, 02:52 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by B.A. Racer View Post
o yes truggies are WAY more forgiving but u still have to have skill to drive them..the truggy isnt going to make u instantly better but yes it is more forgiving...plus a 2650 in a buggy is WAY overpwered for racing
I think that is some of the issue. Im going to pull out a bunch of punch out of it in the castle link tonight.
Old 06-15-2009, 03:05 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I think that is some of the issue. Im going to pull out a bunch of punch out of it in the castle link tonight.
Also, keep in mind that the motor you have was designed for a buggy, not a truggy. Adding the weight, rotating mass, etc... from a truggy would likely be the death of that motor. If you did decide to switch, you DEF need a different motor. I'd suggest the castle 2200 if you plan to stick with 3S, or go down in KV if you decide to go with more battery. I know you think it's too fast now, but if you got a higher voltage battery, and a lower KV motor, the whole system will end up with the same top speed, and run cooler.
Old 06-15-2009, 03:08 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

You already have a more forgiving vehicle, your Slash. Your cheapest option would be to race your Slash. Keep racing it until you are consistently doing good, this will force you to learn how to drive fast, without having horsepower to make up for a lack of good lines/smooth driving. You can still run your 1/8 scale in practice to have fun, but concentrate on learning to drive with your Slash. You could get a truggy, move all your electronics over, and learn to drive with that, but that will just take more time and money. Ultimately what you need to do is spend more time on the track. You will also find it way more rewarding to know how to drive a nimble buggy, then learning with a truggy and still struggling when you drive a buggy. Usually the smaller the vehicle, the harder it is to drive. The Slash is easy though because it doesn't have rediculous amounts of HP out of the box. If you can learn to go fast with a slow car you will definately be able to go fast with a fast car. Sure it isn't that fun to run a slow car, but as you have found out, it isn't that fun to be in the way, or to destroy your car.

When my dad got me into the hobby 15 years ago he always made me concentrate on not crashing, rather than having gobs of HP. He knew that speed would come with more driving experience. On a side note, last year I won the 4wd mod class at my local tracks big trophy race with only a 10.5. My dad also knew that if I had alot of power in my cars I would crash alot and get burnt out. If you want to get another car just to have another toy, may I suggest getting a mini sized car of some sort, and set up a track/jump/obstical in you house. Then see how long you can go without crashing. This is what my dad did with me to teach me to not crash. When I crashed/got the car stuck I would have to hand the controller over to my dad, and he would go as long as he could without crashing. Basically the more wheel time you can get the better, even if it is just bashing your car around in front of your house. I just bought a house and I am very excited because I will be putting a track in my backyard. Hopefully this will really help my race results as I am only able to drive on the weekends, I still do pretty good, but when I get to practice (like before that trophy race I took a week off of work) I can usually drive alot faster. Either way good luck.
Old 06-15-2009, 03:35 PM
Tech Elite

I'd throw a 2S battery in it. It will slow you down and make the car much easier to drive.