Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Multi Tasking with your RC stuff >

Multi Tasking with your RC stuff

Multi Tasking with your RC stuff

Old 05-23-2009, 10:55 AM
Tech Initiate

Lightbulb Multi Tasking with your RC stuff

A lot of us here figure out ways to put household and non RC items to work for us in our hobby. But what kind of things have you come up with to use your RC specific tools to help in your non RC endeavors?

Since us E Power guys always have extra batteries I thought I'd share one useful thing I use them for outside of RC.

My HD Camcorder Battery was starting to crap out on me. I looked into buying an new one and they are not cheap plus you only get a few hours at best of recording time with them. I noticed the battery is 7.4V and immediately a light bulb went off. I'm sure I'm not the first to do this but as projects go it's a piece of cake and you can save a lot of cash and in my opinion have a better more functional set up.

If you want it lighter use a 2s lipo and if you want to lose the mono-pod add some industrial velcro to the bottom of the cam and one side of the battery.

I find it works well with either the 7 cell NiMh or the 2s lipos even thought the Nimh's are 8.4v and the original batteries are 7.4v

Last edited by ballz6spd; 05-23-2009 at 11:19 AM.
Old 05-24-2009, 06:43 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Nice idea! I've done that thing SO many times. I got a 50W 12v halogen lightbulb and made the brightest torch you've ever seen. It only worked for 40 minutes though.
Old 05-24-2009, 06:52 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Good idea..

I'm now charging my mountain bike lights (Lithium and NiMH) with my Hyperion charger now. I did that in preparation for a move to Australia in which my current NiteRider chargers wouldn't work. I've found the battery charger to be quite useful.

I've also been experimenting with Pico switches, the larger 110V current ones to accomplish tasks using old AM radios.