R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road-4/)
-   -   Getting back into the R/C scene (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road/298568-getting-back-into-r-c-scene.html)

Monteman 05-19-2009 10:00 PM

Getting back into the R/C scene

Hiya, with fears of starting a flame war im gonna ask which truck i should go with. I currently have an T4-RS and i am looking to pick up another truck. Why i am not looking to go with something else im not sure but i really like the 2wd stadium feel. So SC10 or Slash ? Or something else?

I have been tossing back and forth between the 2, reading whatever i can watching videos, trying to talk to LHS up here in edmonton alberta but honestly they all go SC10 ??? what the hell is that? I dont know why but that truck is simply not even on the radar up here yet. But if it is as good out of the box as they say it is i'm willing to wait for one.

Ideally i would really like to switch to brushless and li-po. Am i barking up the wrong tree here by looking into a new 2wd staduim thrasher or should i just convert the T4-RS to brushless.

So many questions but i am simply going crazy trying to decide haha. Oh fwiw my T4 is totally stock.

Monteman 05-20-2009 05:56 PM

TTT -

Found a LHS that had a line on a Sc10 RTR ProComp Edition. Should have it by the end of next week if all goes well.

Im pumped :)

20 SMOKE 05-20-2009 06:10 PM

sc10 is a good choice, you already know the t4 so tuning will be easy

Monteman 05-20-2009 07:32 PM

Now all i have to figure out is a ESC/motor/gearing combo that is good for bashing, i dont do much track racing as of yet so no point spending any big money on it. But i know i will not be able to stay stock for long. :lol:

Any suggestions? I am open to all ideas brushed or brushless. No code words tho i have no idea what your talking about and all your gonna get is a O,o response from me haha. Link me what your talking about please :)

shanty140 05-20-2009 08:06 PM

I personally feel the SC10 is a better vehicle then the Slash. But the Slash racing is the most fun I have had in RC. Since you are in Edmonton you probably know the RC track. If you buy a Slash come out and race, it's some of the best fun you can have.

Monteman 05-20-2009 08:16 PM

I know of the track if your thinking of the same one i'm thinking of (SW corner of baseline and 216)

I really don't see myself buying a slash as well haha, but who knows down the road. Are they going to open up to an SC10 class as well? i would like to assume so.

harv29t 05-20-2009 08:30 PM

right now slash classes both stock and mod are taking over every track across the country. some track will allow you to run a sc10 in the slash class others wont. i think the slash would be better due to it being more of a basher, but can also be a racer. the sc10 seems to be made more towards the racing side.

Monteman 05-20-2009 09:05 PM

for 1 i am really familiar with the associated stuff. #2 i dunno if its the color of the plastic but the traxxas stuff looks very toyish to me, i think it is almost a stigma for me owning anything traxxas. Too many Radio shack toy r/c's growing up i guess. I am sure the Traxxas stuff is good quality why else would everyone own one. :lol: I think i will stick with the Sc10. I never was really hard on stuff anyways. just the tires haha

shanty140 05-20-2009 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by Monteman (Post 5839887)
I know of the track if your thinking of the same one i'm thinking of (SW corner of baseline and 216)

I really don't see myself buying a slash as well haha, but who knows down the road. Are they going to open up to an SC10 class as well? i would like to assume so.

It doesn't sound like there is going to be a SC10 class or allow them to run with the Slash's. There is a couple of them running in the Electric Truck class and they are doing quite well.

Monteman 05-20-2009 09:28 PM

ahh well thats not a huge deal for me, i have had the T4 since it came out basically and i have been on an actual track once with it so racing isnt quite a deciding factor for me i suppose haha

Rootar 05-21-2009 05:16 AM

For brushless you shoudl look into a tekin rs system they are easy to drive and are plenty powerful, if your mostly bashing you could look into a 7.5 or 8.5 combo, i run an 8.5 in my T4 and its geared for 40mph and ive ran it over 40 minutes straight (two 7.4v 5000 lipos back to back) with no worries of it getting hot, i was so impressed with the first system i ran in my T4 the 1st weekend that i built ANOTHER T4 with a matching system, it just a great setup.

as for lipos look into smc 7.4v hardcase packs, and RC-monster.com has an ultra powerful 7.4v 5200 lipo. Id steer clear of maxamps, protech, and venom lipos they dont last long and are over priced for what they are.

HWYSHREDDER78 05-21-2009 06:00 AM

My vote goes to the Slash if your going to mainly bash. I wouldn't underestimate the Slash on the track as well as I have handed the SC10 it's rear on the track.

For brushless I would recommend a Tekin RS or Pro esc with a 8.5 or 10.5 for bashing or 17.5 for racing. It's all about having a smooth trigger finger with the Core trucks on a track.

If you are dead set on an SC10 I would hold out for a FT version as it surely is on the horizon and will be worth the wait.

Monteman 05-21-2009 07:20 PM

i have also heard/read of an issue with the slash drive-train/gearbox crapping out quite fast... any merit to that? I am still leaning to the SC10 over the Slash but i had a crazy thought today that i hope i don't act on haha... one of each. :tire:

run em both stock for a while then decide which i might wanna race with haha

HWYSHREDDER78 05-21-2009 08:34 PM

I have never heard or seen anything like that. The transmission internals in the Slash is the same as my 1992 Traxxas Hawk except for the metal gears of course.

Both are great trucks and I will buy an SC10 when a FT version comes out and either one is a winner in my opinion.

Fatstogey 05-24-2009 12:14 AM

Originally Posted by Monteman (Post 5836046)
Hiya, with fears of starting a flame war im gonna ask which truck i should go with. I currently have an T4-RS and i am looking to pick up another truck. Why i am not looking to go with something else im not sure but i really like the 2wd stadium feel. So SC10 or Slash ? Or something else?

I have been tossing back and forth between the 2, reading whatever i can watching videos, trying to talk to LHS up here in edmonton alberta but honestly they all go SC10 ??? what the hell is that? I dont know why but that truck is simply not even on the radar up here yet. But if it is as good out of the box as they say it is i'm willing to wait for one.

Ideally i would really like to switch to brushless and li-po. Am i barking up the wrong tree here by looking into a new 2wd staduim thrasher or should i just convert the T4-RS to brushless.

So many questions but i am simply going crazy trying to decide haha. Oh fwiw my T4 is totally stock.

I say convert the t4 to brushless. I got a mamba max adn 2.4 ghz futaba and it runs great.