Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
1/8 scale beginner >

1/8 scale beginner

1/8 scale beginner

Old 05-19-2009, 07:06 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default 1/8 scale beginner

I think I may bite the bullet and add a 1/8 scale vehicle to my ever increasing stable of R/C cars. My question is what is best to being racing in that scale, buggy or truggy? Which ever one I get, it will be electric powered. The track nearest my home runs alot of nitros but said I was welcome to race my electric with them if their wasnt enough to make an electric class. The EP vehicles are growing in popularity at a mixed rate between buggy and truggy. I currently run 1/10 but have to drive quite a bit most weekends to race because there are no tracks that run them nearby.

Thanks for the input.
Old 05-19-2009, 07:23 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Check out www.casterracingusa.com

Old 05-19-2009, 07:31 PM
Tech Elite

http://casterracingusa.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1513
Old 05-19-2009, 07:52 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Default Well which do you like better in 1/10th scale

I love 1/10th truck and suck at 1/10th buggy. Sure enough the same holds true for 1/8th scale. The truggy allows you to let in all hang out, where as the buggy you need to be tight.

FYI if running with nitros, figure out the run times they usually do: 10, 20, 30 or 45 minute mains. Then purchase the lipos and setup which will allow for equal pit times as the nitros. Electric pits are between 15 and 20 seconds (2 guys) What I have found is you need to go at least 15 minutes of run time.

Good luck
Old 05-19-2009, 08:28 PM
Tech Regular

Honestly, I am horrible at both buggy and truck but I am learning and practicing and one day hope to be a decent driver. I have always heard that the trucks were more forgiving....if that is so, then I would probably be better off starting there I guess.

About Caster Racing...I have been looking at those. Actually saw one in person recently and it looks pretty stout but I talked to a few guys at the track the other day and one used to run a Caster and hated it. Kind of mixed reviews online. I know that alot of people bash what I call non-majors and sometimes that is the Ford vs Chevy vs Dodge thing. I really like what I saw and from what I see around the web they are growing in popularity and parts support.

Any suggestions on a budget (not cheap, just not top of the line) brushless system to start off with?
Old 05-19-2009, 08:52 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I just went through the same choices that you've had to make. I do like buggies, so for that, I'd say the main kits to get are the RC8E (especially the Limited with BB shocks, etc), the Castor products, or the Ofna/Hobao Hyper 9e. Honestly, the AE is probably the most solid bet for pricing and parts support. I never was one to run the same thing that everyone else is running, however, and I'm very happy that I got the Hobao.

I would say the Losi 8ight 2.0 is also a front runner, but since they cram their electronics down your throat at the same price that you could get the RC8E or Ofna Kit with a Tekin RX8 setup, for me, they eliminated themselves from consideration. Of course, you could always pick up a used Losi Nitro kit and do the conversion yourself.

The good thing about your decision to make is that given the way you're doing your research, asking here and at the track, I think you're going to be happy regardless of which one you get. I think all the top manufacturers are producing great cars.

From what I've seen, do not skimp on your ESC/motor combo, they are strained a lot more then in tenth scale. Do your research and pick wisely. I have heard mostly good things about the Zippy batteries, however, half the price of most brands and good performance.

Last edited by ice-nine; 05-19-2009 at 09:11 PM. Reason: no speakle the english.
Old 05-19-2009, 09:02 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ice-nine View Post
I just went through the same choices that you've had to make. I do like buggies, so for that, I'd say the main kits to get are the RC8E (especially the Limited with BB shocks, etc), the Castor products, or the Ofna/Hobao Hyper 9e. Honestly, the AE is probably the most solid bet for pricing and parts support. I never was one to run the same thing that everyone else is running, however, and I'm very happy that I got the Hobao.

I would say the Losi 8ight 2.0 is also a front runner, but since they cram their electronics down your throat at the same price that you could get the RC8E or Ofna Kit with a Tekin RX8 setup, for me, they eliminated themselves from consideration. Of course, you could always pick up a used Losi Nitro kit and do the conversion yourself.

The good thing about your decision to make is that given the way you you're doing your research, asking here and at the track, I think you're going to be happy regardless of which one you get. I think all the top manufacturers are producing great cars.

From what I've seen, do not skimp on your ESC/motor combo, they are strained a lot more then in tenth scale. Do your research and pick wisely. I have heard mostly good things about the Zippy batteries, however, half the price of most brands and good performance.
That was well said......Definitely keep reading before you decide on the chassis brand. Don't skimp on your electronics as you will get what you pay for. I obviously like my losi stuff due to parts support as well as no major parts breaking. I didn't go with the losi conversion due to the limited gearing options. I did have a Kyosho 777 and a ST-RR with the RCPD kit, but I felt it was not balanced and I didn't like the motor mount.
Old 05-20-2009, 03:47 AM
Tech Elite

I used to run a Losi. I started running the Caster in January and have had no problems at all. You can get any part you need from the Caster site or from www.holeshothobbies.com . There are quite a few other shops starting to carry parts.
You will be able to run all the 1/10th batteries you all ready have.

I run a MMM/Neu 1512/2.5d and MaxAmps 6500 packs in my car. I can get 20+ min of run time.

The guys on the Caster fourm are very helpfull too.

I recently won the Don Tilley race at the Farm in North Carolina with my Fusion Pro.

Old 05-20-2009, 05:44 AM
Tech Regular

Thanks so much everyone for the great advice. I will continue on my search and really take the info you have given me into account.
Old 05-20-2009, 06:21 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (73%+)

Well let me start by saying I don't have an 1/8 scale YET but I do have a Brushless SC10 and I love it. It has a Novak Havoc 8.5T system in it with a SMC 5000mah 28C lipo and i get about 40-50 min of runtime.
Old 05-20-2009, 08:39 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Can't go wrong with the RC8e. Great handling car, easy to get parts for anywhere, and the best team support around for setups.
Old 05-20-2009, 09:07 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Went through the same thing a few months ago, and got down to two:

Losi 8ightE and Caster Fusion Pro

I went with the Caster Fusion based on the following:

Metric Hardware
2 battery packs-easier to get than single 4s packs
Pick your ESC and Motor Choice (MMM & 2560kv)
Great forum with tips, pics and regular guys
Price!!!

Excellent service from Chris at www.holeshothobbies.com!
Old 05-21-2009, 10:11 PM
Tech Regular

I am really leaning towards either the RC8e or the Caster Racing EX-1. There is over 100 bucks difference in cost but the Associated probably has better parts support at this time. Any opinions on one vs the other?
Old 05-21-2009, 11:09 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I say be different and try the Caster... but then I'm a little biased

There is obviously a difference in parts support, or at least in how you get them. AE, Losi... you check with the LHS and maybe they have the parts. If not, they order them in for you.

Caster can be a similar experience, except that the LHS likely won't have any parts in stock. But they can order them just the same. They have to order directly from Caster USA, and not through the main distributors, but there is a nice supply of Caster parts in stock right here in the US so it's not a big deal. If your LHS isn't helpful for some reason, you can get parts from one of the online shops that carry the Caster line. Everything is in stock at the shop and if there was ever basic parts they DON'T have... I think they would pull parts off a NIB car just to keep the customer happy. Parts and service is good... just a little different because they aren't one of the bigs yet.

There are lots of good cars and conversions out there... most of them can perform just fine on the track, and the EX-1R is definitely right there with them, imo.
Old 05-22-2009, 05:16 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

ok either way u go RC8e or EX-1 u wont be dissaponted..but ive seen the caster and associated..they looked all the same lol but it looked like the rc8e might be allitle better...or racer friendly than the caster....i was thinkin about a caster but i went associated because ive been racing for 6 years and ive always been loyal to associated...either way u wont go bad

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.