Wiki Posts
Search

Neu 1512 Retinning wires

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2009, 07:35 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)
Default Neu 1512 Retinning wires

I have done went and cut my connectors off of my Nue 1512/2D(I know, Stupid move). Now i can't get the wires to tin again. I know it has to do with the coating thats on the wires, because i can tine the very end where its cut and raw brass is exposed. Does anyone know how to get the coating off the end of the wires. Please help!!
Old 05-18-2009, 09:02 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 168 (100%+)

If I had to guess, I would say manufacturer removes the insulation on the wires with some sort of organic solvent. I know that the only way I was able to solder a connector to a castle mamba CM20 motor after the wires were shortened (by someone else) was to mechanically strip the insulation off each strand of wire (with an X-acto knife blade). With as many strands as there are in a Neu motor of that size, I think your only hope is to send it back to Neu.
Old 05-19-2009, 06:24 AM
Tech Fanatic

I searched the web last night and found where people have put paste flux on an ASPIRIN and melted the flux and aspirin and it cleans the laquer coating off the wires and they tin up. Tried it and guess what, IT WORKS!! I'm glad I found a way to strip the coating, but don't think I'll ever be able to take ASPIRIN again. It gives off horrible fumes as well. If you ever plan on trying it use venilation!!!
Old 05-19-2009, 04:14 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 168 (100%+)

Do you grind the aspirin up and mix it with the flux then apply it as usual? Or melt it first and dip the wire in it?

Can you post the link you found?
Old 05-19-2009, 07:06 PM
Tech Fanatic

I put the aspirin on my work bench, applied a litle flux to the top of the aspirin, then heated the flux, which in turn melted and disolved the aspirin, then put my wires in the aspirflux , then applied 60/40 rosin core solder as normal and BAM, it's done. I think i will try a "flux pot" out of like a thimble or large cable end or something to dip the others in and future possibilities. here is the link:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=593024