Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
How hard is it to install a backlight in an ICE? >

How hard is it to install a backlight in an ICE?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How hard is it to install a backlight in an ICE?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2009, 06:58 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 33 (97%+)
Default How hard is it to install a backlight in an ICE?

On all the ebay auctions for the upgrade backlight for the ICE, it says "professional installation highly recommended". How hard could this be?
Old 05-15-2009, 07:19 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Its not that hard if you're good with your hands, patient and know what you're doing. Its incredibly easy to break the glass lcd screen when you're getting it ready to accept the backlite.

You break this thin glass and its pretty much over, your Ice now has no visible display - they really don't sell replacement parts for it either. Its not like you can call DTX up and order a replacement.

Last I heard, you could get a replacement but it was $70-80 if you persisted - you can get a good used Ice for that.
Old 05-15-2009, 07:22 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Duster_360
Its not that hard if you're good with your hands, patient and know what you're doing. Its incredibly easy to break the glass lcd screen when you're getting it ready to accept the backlite.

You break this thin glass and its pretty much over, your Ice now has no visible display - they really don't sell replacement parts for it either. Its not like you can call DTX up and order a replacement.

Last I heard, you could get a replacement but it was $70-80 if you persisted - you can get a good used Ice for that.
Well, I'd prob just pick a day when noones around and it's quiet, and just take my time. I don't see how hard it could be to NOT break a little piece of glass. Are we talking paper thin or something? What's the GENERAL idea of how this backlight works? Is it just something that replaces the screen on the ICE?
Old 05-15-2009, 07:29 AM
Tech Fanatic

I did 2 and had no problems. Just be sure to take your time when you are trying to get all the "goop" off the glass screen. What you are doing is basically peeling the sticker backing off of the current display and replacing it with a backlight screen. So the old sticker leaves the sticky crap on the screen and you have to clean that off - I used a lot of "goof off" to help so I didn't have to scrap or push so hard on the little piece of glass.

I would also recommend to test it before you put it all back together - that way you make sure the screen is alligned properly when you go to use the charger again.

Good Luck.
Old 05-15-2009, 09:49 AM
Tech Lord

I did 7 or 8 of these of these for friends after they saw what mine looked like when it was done. This was back after Ice 1st came out an the backlite kits were $25-30 on Ebay, they're much cheaper now. I still have one kit I had a for a spare.

Some folks are more ham handed than others and can't do somewhat delicate stuff like this but don't realize it until its too late, its easy to break. Its not that hard to get the backing off and remove the goo thats left behind (naptha worked well for me) and do the rest of the work if you're careful.
Old 05-15-2009, 10:00 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I did the blue backlight kit on both of mine, and it's not too difficult. But both of them no longer work now. They start having intermittent issues and then finally stop working all the time. I have done a lot of stuff like this and don't believe the failure is due to my install. One of them lasted at least a year before showing a problem.
Old 05-15-2009, 10:50 AM
Tech Master

I wouldn't do this to be "cool"...we just have a lot of night races, and it's hard to see whats going on with no light. I might buy a 2nd charger, and if I do, can anyone suggest a good charger that HAS a backlight that is comparable to the ICE? I do like the ICE because it's easy to use.
Old 05-15-2009, 11:27 AM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by CaptainHowdyt13
..... I might buy a 2nd charger, and if I do, can anyone suggest a good charger that HAS a backlight that is comparable to the ICE? I do like the ICE because it's easy to use.
Then you'll like the Team Checkpoint 1030 charger - its the Ice charger, but in red, with a 20a and 30a discharge feature. When my Ice died - I was discharging at 10a and on 2nd batt, it started acting funny and now no longer works right - I bought a TC1030. The menus are the same, its like using an Ice again - oh yes, it has a nice blue backlite too.

Team Checkpoint 1030
Old 05-15-2009, 12:14 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Chad, that's the same charger I use. You will still be able to use your LiPo balancer as well.
Old 05-15-2009, 12:24 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Ephidelt490
Chad, that's the same charger I use. You will still be able to use your LiPo balancer as well.
Cool. I need a 2nd charger anyways. I'll prob pick this one up.