newbie to nitro

Old 02-15-2004, 02:37 AM
Tech Initiate

Default newbie to nitro

Just got a used Durotraxx truck with a Torq 12 motor on it. Heres the thing I know next to nothing about them. When I put the glow starter on and pull to start it a few times it won't start. The choke doesnt seem to be working on the fuel tank so I did it manualy. I put a drop or 2 in the carb. Well I then pulled to start it and it fired right up but only ran for a few seconds.

I am thinking the carb needs adjusted but not sure how to. I am guessing its one(or both) of the screws on it. Ones coming from the gas line and the other is black which is sticking out of the carb.

Any help would be great. Also if there is a site that tells how these things work that would be great.
Old 02-15-2004, 04:26 PM
Tech Apprentice

Try putting your finger over the tip of the exhaust and pull the cord a few times. This should bring fuel into the motor.
Old 02-15-2004, 07:25 PM
Tech Initiate

I tried that and it didnt do anything. I put my finger over it pulled 3-4 times. Removed my finger and tried to start it. Only way it will fire up is if I put a couple drops in the carb.
Old 02-15-2004, 08:35 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Sounds like you have a leak somewhere. As you mentioned your primer isn't working properly, I suspect it is that. Try replacing that with a screw that fits tightly in the whole, and then sealing it up with silicone. If that doesn't work, check your fuel tubing, and finally the base of the carb for leaks, replace the fuel tubing if you find a leak, and seal up the carb.