Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
!!!Need help with Tekin FX 2 ESC getting warm!!! >

!!!Need help with Tekin FX 2 ESC getting warm!!!

!!!Need help with Tekin FX 2 ESC getting warm!!!

Old 04-23-2009, 10:04 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Default !!!Need help with Tekin FX 2 ESC getting warm!!!

I have a Tekin FX-R ESC and 55t motor that I just put in my AX10. After a about 15 minutes of crawling I notice the ESC getting a little warm not super hot but hot enough that when I hold my finger on it I have to really try hard not to take it off due to the heat. Could it be cuz im using a weak servo while i wait for my high tourqe one to get here? Im new to crawlers but this just dont seem normal. Any ideas or suggestions would be awesome. Thanks, Funk

(yes this is posted in Radios and Electronics too.. Get over it!)

Last edited by 801Funk801; 04-25-2009 at 02:21 PM.
Old 04-23-2009, 11:12 PM
Team Tekin

Originally Posted by 801Funk801 View Post
I have a Tekin FX 2 ESC and 55t motor that I just put in my AX10. After a about 15 minutes of crawling I notice the ESC getting a little warm not super hot but hot enough that when I hold my finger on it I have to really try hard not to take it off due to the heat. Could it be cuz im using a weak servo while i wait for my high tourqe one to get here? Im new to crawlers but this just dont seem normal. Any ideas or suggestions would be awesome. Thanks, Funk

(yes this is posted in Radios and Electronics too.. Get over it!)
I'm assuming you mean the FX-R? How many LEDs does the on-board temperature monitor show? You may be feeling heat from over-working the BEC, get an external set at 6V and take the red wire out of he ESC's receiver plug. You will need it to keep from stalling out your servo and pulling the ESC low. If it's not reaching thermal shut down ( I highly doubt it with only a 55T) then it is fairly normal. My FX-R in my 2.2 Scaler and T55 sees about 3 LEDs if I'm really putting stress on it.

And just a word of advice; don't multi-post threads.
Old 04-24-2009, 12:08 AM
Tech Regular

Yes I do mean the FX-R I don't know where I got the 2 from.. maybe the part number? Anyways my mistake. As far as how many led's I had I'm not 100% because when I felt it was warm I shut it down and didn't check it like I should have. Ill look into the external BEC like you mentioned. I forgot to mention I am running a 3s lipo, I'm not sure that makes a difference but just incase. Thanks for the reply.
Old 04-24-2009, 11:00 AM
Tech Regular

Well I just ran it around in the house for about 5 minutes and im getting 3 LED's on the temp sensor. I also have some pretty heavy glitching even outdoors but that could be due to that fact that its running a stock AM Traxxas RX/TX. Just don't seem right??

Last edited by 801Funk801; 04-24-2009 at 11:12 AM.
Old 04-24-2009, 01:46 PM
Tech Regular

Well I fixed the glitching by installing my 2.4GHZ Futaba 3PM RX/TX but still no fix for the ESC heating up. I went and ran it outside on some small rocks in my backyard for about 10 minutes and was getting 5 LED's on the onboard temp sensor. For some reason I want to think it has something to do with that weak servo I'm using but I could be completely wrong and way out in left field. I know the EBEC was mentioned too but with only one servo that seems kinda odd that I would need one?
Heres what I'm running...
Team Tekin FX-R and t-55 55t crawler motor.
11.1V 3s 1300mah Lipo.
JR Z590M steering servo.
87t Spur
14t Pinion
Old 04-24-2009, 03:32 PM
K_B
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)

The 3S lipo might be part of the problem. The higher your input voltage, the weaker the onboard BEC becomes. The BEC has to knock down 11.1V to 5 or 6V. It gets rid of this extra voltage as heat. So it's generating alot of heat and as the BEC heats up, it gets more inefficient.

Try running it with a lower voltage battery and see what that does. Also make sure that you don't have anything binding in the drivetrain.

If that solves the heat problem, then you'll probably need to run Castle's external BEC if you want to run the 3S lipo.
Old 04-24-2009, 05:04 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by K_B View Post
The 3S lipo might be part of the problem. The higher your input voltage, the weaker the onboard BEC becomes. The BEC has to knock down 11.1V to 5 or 6V. It gets rid of this extra voltage as heat. So it's generating alot of heat and as the BEC heats up, it gets more inefficient.

Try running it with a lower voltage battery and see what that does. Also make sure that you don't have anything binding in the drivetrain.

If that solves the heat problem, then you'll probably need to run Castle's external BEC if you want to run the 3S lipo.

Thanks for the info I'll try a 2s and see how that does. Thanks again, funk
Old 04-24-2009, 05:43 PM
Team Tekin

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Funk on 3s in a crawler and working it hard you can get the esc warm. 5 led's isn't close to thermal or overheating. However when looking for optimal performance in crawling most everyone runs a seperate BEC especially when running 3s. Even a regular servo can over work a BEC and like was said prior 3s is already a load, adding a locked up crawler and bound steering can get it even hotter.

Try a seperate BEC, you'll be glad you did.
Old 04-25-2009, 02:20 PM
Tech Regular

Looks like I have no other choice but then to get the EBEC. She shut down today after about 15 minutes of crawling over some pillows and my sons toy trucks in my living room. I would have thought it could handle the 3S with one 55t and one servo but I guess not.
Old 04-25-2009, 05:36 PM
Tech Adept

i have 2 -19 turn motors and a 3 cell lipo with the fxr esc and never shut down . i think your gearing may be too high and definitly look into a castle bec .also try a 12 tooth with the 87 spur that may help too
Old 04-27-2009, 09:00 PM
Team Tekin

Originally Posted by 801Funk801 View Post
Looks like I have no other choice but then to get the EBEC. She shut down today after about 15 minutes of crawling over some pillows and my sons toy trucks in my living room. I would have thought it could handle the 3S with one 55t and one servo but I guess not.
I'm not surprised it thermaled crawling on pillows and carpet with the FXR BEC on 3S. That is a ton of traction, the servo has to work extra hard turning the wheels, plus your BEC is weaker on 3S. Voltage goes up and amperage goes down. Slap a BEC module set for 6V and I bet it solves the problem. I had trouble with mine even on 2S dragging the BEC too low.

Crawling just needs an external BEC, I have been telling everyone that it is just a necessary component.