Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Just can't decide! >

Just can't decide!

Just can't decide!

Old 12-10-2003, 07:23 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Just can't decide!

The wife has given me the OK to get back into the RC hobby so the following is a list that she will work off of for XMAS.

Team Associated B4 - 199.99
ESC - IPC V7.1
HellFire Peak Racing - 34.99 or Revenge Monster Stock 34.99
LRP Pulsar Sport Charger 129.00
Dynamite Power Supply 115.00
Airtronics MX- 3 – 129.99
SMC 3300 High Performance Stick Packs – 49.99

I will race sooner or later but probably not until the spring or summer. I don't believe the ESC that i have listed has reverse will i need it if so what other ESC do you reccomend? Any other suggestion on the charger set up? I didn't really want to spend that much money but if thats what will work the best i dont mind spending it now while i have the cash. Is the Airtronics MX-3 a good choice?

Any suggestions on this setup?

Thanks
Old 12-10-2003, 03:40 PM
Tech Rookie

Wow no one has any input in this??
Old 12-10-2003, 04:23 PM
Tech Fanatic

I have the MX-3 it is a great choice
Old 12-10-2003, 05:09 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I think you made some great choices....

If you shop around you can get things for less...the B4 kit for about $175...the MX-3 for about $105...

To save even more...forget the power supply and Pro Sport and go for the LRP Quasar Pro...no power supply needed and a great charger!! You can get it for under $200. You can also go for the Non Pro quasar that runs for about $100...

Your ESC choice is great for offroad. It will run you about $129. You only need reverse if you plan on bashing more than racing...if you want a great Reverse speed control I can sell you my 2 month old F1 pro reverse if you like....it's made by LRP as well...I can get it to you for half that so you can spend the money on other things...

The Monster stock motor is also great but I'd look into the Pro tuned version by www.teambirdman.com or www.banzaimotors.com. Same motor but tuned to run faster.

You are gonna need a better servo than what comes with the MX-3. You can't go wrong with the JRZ590 for about $40...all metal gears..good speed and torque...the one that comes with the MX-3 will break in about a day...(plastic gears) The MX-3 is a great radio...

As far as the batteries go, you can get some really good mathced packs for about the same $50 you're looking to spend on the stick packs...SMC has them, so does www.fukuyamaracing.com and www.kinetixrc.com I'd get at least two packs to start with...

I think that about covers your choices...

Good luck...ask any more ?'s if you got any....

Last edited by nutfluff; 12-10-2003 at 05:16 PM.
Old 12-10-2003, 06:34 PM
Tech Rookie

Wow thanks for the input Nutfluff! I have to re-think a few things. I just hate to buy things twice that's why I rather buy the best I can now. So now my biggest decision is on the charger can you give me some pro and cons of both?

Thanks in advance,
Old 12-10-2003, 09:17 PM
Tech Fanatic

No problem T-Bone--

You already know the golden rule "If you buy cheap, you buy twice."

As far as the chargers go, if you go with stick packs you don't need a fancy charger like the Pulsar Sport or the Quantum Pro...these chargers not only charge your batts, but discharge and cycle them as well...you don't really need this type of maintenance with those packs (assuming they are NiMh NOT Nicd)

If you just stick with the basic $100 Quasar you can select the charge rate and that's about it. If you think you'll get into racing and matched packs go with the Quasar Pro...once again, these chargers don't require a power supply. The Pulsar Sport does....

Make sure you shop around and don't be afraid to buy online from sites like www.stormerhobbies.com or www.towerhobbies.com or even from some of the reputable sellers on eBay...

If you can save $20 here and there it adds up...

Another GREAT forum to learn everything about the B4 is www.rc10b4.com Do some searches on that site and ALL your questions will already have been answered....

Old 12-10-2003, 09:43 PM
Tech Addict

nutfluff-just a note,i think you are getting things a little confused, the LRP pulsars (sport and competition) are chargers, the LRP quantums (sport and competition) are ESC's. the Reedy Quasar is a charger. just trying to clear some things up
Old 12-10-2003, 10:59 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

T bone

How about the RTR B4, that could cut down on the initial start up costs.
Old 12-10-2003, 11:12 PM
Tech Fanatic

Right. Quasar = charger, Quantum = ESC...I got it right the first time.

Old 12-11-2003, 06:34 AM
Tech Rookie

Right now cost isn't really a big deal i just dont want to buy twice! The local track to race at for offroad is indoor with tables and power but if I get into on road racing I will need a power supply because it's out in a parking lot. I know I will get into on road sooner or later I want the best of both worlds The wife just told me one car at a time. So my plan(not hers) is to get the B4 done play with it and then get a on road car just in time for racing outside. Then once both are completed i can race anywhere i want too.

Next question I have is what do most racers do when they have more than one car? I assume you dont buy two of everything! Since I'm going with the MX-3 do I just buy second servo? What about a ESC.

Sorry for the newb ?'s.......

T-bone
Old 12-11-2003, 06:45 AM
Tech Regular

T-Bone

No question is stupid..... maybe some of the ones I usually ask

If you buy a good quality system then there is no reason why you can't use it in both. it is probably easier to use different servos in each but change everything else over depending on what you race. I think the mx3 comes with 2 servos (not sure).

ESC and receiver are held in by double sided tape so very easy to change.

Make friends quickly and "borrow" their power supply

David Joors rc10b4.com site would be the best site for B4 information..... surprised noone has mentioned that already. There may even be someone there in your area
Old 12-11-2003, 06:53 AM
Tech Rookie

I Haven't spent much time there yet but I'm sure I will. So you would even change out the ESC too! That makes the second toy a lot cheaper

How do you like the R40? How is HPI?

Thanks
Old 12-11-2003, 07:15 AM
Tech Regular

The R40 has been gathering too much dust. I have been too busy to work out how to tune my engine and now its too cold to play

I miss off road though, Just wish there was somewhere here to run one. Hard enough finding somewhere to run on road

Just do lots of research and and people will point you in the right direction..... most of the time.
Old 12-11-2003, 07:22 AM
Tech Rookie

Tuning was the reason I went with electric vs gas. I'm sure I will get gas one of these days but right now I opted to go with Electric.
Old 12-11-2003, 08:06 AM
Tech Regular

I know what you mean. I felt like a challenge and buying everything in Hong Kong kept the price down a lot. My next car will be a 1/8th off roader (excuse to buy more fuel)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.