Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree4Likes

HPI Electric RS4 MT Support Thread!

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2009, 09:42 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)
Default HPI Electric RS4 MT Support Thread!

Hi everyone,

I took on a winter project of building an HPI Electric RS4 MT that actually turned into building two trucks! I learned a lot in the process and also started to recognize how popular these trucks still are years after being discontinued by HPI. So I'm starting this thread as a place where owners and potential owners of these trucks can share ideas about what works and what doesn't, cross-reference part replacements, where to get stuff, etc. I am going to post a note in all current related threads pointing everyone back here and hopefully we can get some good idea sharing going on. I'll start us off with a few pics of my trucks and add some of the parts information I've learned as we get going. Who knows? Maybe HPI will be listening and will consider an updated version of this truck!
Attached Thumbnails HPI Electric RS4 MT Support Thread!-mton1.jpg   HPI Electric RS4 MT Support Thread!-mton2.jpg   HPI Electric RS4 MT Support Thread!-mtoff1.jpg   HPI Electric RS4 MT Support Thread!-mtoff2.jpg  
Old 04-19-2009, 10:17 AM
Tech Master

I've quoted myself from another thread to try and get ideas consolidated here on the MT.

Originally Posted by beemerfan
I doubt you will be able to get a chassis from Tower. They keep it on their web site but I've had one back-ordered for months and it always just says they are expected mid next month, late next month, early the month after that but they never arrive. I am pretty sure it is discontiniued by HPI and no longer available.

You can try Ebay. I picked one up there or you could possibly get hold of an entire truck for parts. You can also try to repair yours. I had success using CA glue to get the parts back together and then layering fiberglass tape (the self-adhesive mesh kind used for drywall joints) and epoxy to reinforce it. It came out very strong. Maybe stronger than the original.

Associated shocks work better than the HPI's on this truck. The T3 shocks are nearly identical in length for both the front and rear. The ball link from the shaft end of the HPI shocks will thread right on. The cap end will require you to use associated shock bushings and some small spacers for clearance.

Some parts are still available because they are shared with other HPI RS4 cars and trucks, like the Nitro MT2. A-arms and hinge pins transfer right over. Steering knuckles are common to many of these cars.

If I get around to it, I'll try to post some pics of what I've done with my 2 trucks. I'm pretty happy with the results. But it did take months of scavenging parts off Ebay. I have one setup for off-road and one for on-road and they are both terrific trucks.

I also thought of making one into a buggy, but gave up the idea because it was going to be 3cm too wide to be ROAR legal. I didn't want other racers complaining if I beat them that its because I cheated. I suppose you could look for shorter A-arms that would work, but you would also need shorter upper links, shorter steering turn buckles, shorter CVDs or dog bones, and the shocks would probably wind up being too long. I think it is doable, but gave up on the idea because I've already invested a ton of time getting the trucks just like I want them.
Attached Thumbnails HPI Electric RS4 MT Support Thread!-mtchassis1.jpg   HPI Electric RS4 MT Support Thread!-mtchassis2.jpg   HPI Electric RS4 MT Support Thread!-mtchassis3.jpg   HPI Electric RS4 MT Support Thread!-mtoff3.jpg  

Last edited by beemerfan; 04-19-2009 at 10:26 AM. Reason: Add pics.
Old 04-19-2009, 10:38 AM
Tech Master

A pic of RS4 Nitro MT2 A-arms (part #85074) and uprights (part #85076) on the Electric MT.
Attached Thumbnails HPI Electric RS4 MT Support Thread!-mtoff4.jpg  
Old 04-19-2009, 11:57 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Thank you for starting this. Now, all I need is a new chassis. Thanks for the heads up on tower hobbies. Now i will have to go back to looking for other chassis or buy a complete care from one of the people on the forums.
Old 04-19-2009, 03:21 PM
Tech Master

http://beltcorp.thomasnet.com/item/i...r-564?&seo=110

I posted this link as a reference. If anyone inquires about these, please post your findings, like price, minimum purchase, etc. The front belt for the MT is one of the hardest parts to come by. I think the rear belt (part# A243) is still available. If not, the 4mm wide urethane rear belt for the Sprint (HPI part# 87007) could probably be substituted.
Old 04-20-2009, 01:04 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

HPI could bring it back in the stylings of the Slash. I think a 4wd short track truck would be awesome. Would be a great marketing move.
Old 04-21-2009, 10:54 PM
Tech Master

I've ordered belts from BeltCorp. There was a minimum order involved and they have to make them, so its going to be a few weeks. I plan on stocking a few for my own inventory then selling the rest here and on Ebay. So I anyone is interested, please speak up.
Old 04-22-2009, 07:27 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 168 (100%+)

How many did you order?
Old 04-22-2009, 08:29 AM
Tech Master

I had to order a minimum of 20 belts per type. I ordered 20 front and 20 rear. Even though the rears may still be available, I figured if I'm going to sell off the extras, I may as well be able to sell them in sets if someone wants them. I think the price I'm going to ask is $6 for the rear and $10 for the front, shipped to 48 states. Alaska, Hawaii and international at actual shipping cost.
Old 04-22-2009, 09:11 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I had one. I miss it. Still have the body for it. It would be cool to see if a Corr truck could be constructed from one.

MOmo
Old 05-01-2009, 07:05 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

Originally Posted by beemerfan
I had to order a minimum of 20 belts per type. I ordered 20 front and 20 rear. Even though the rears may still be available, I figured if I'm going to sell off the extras, I may as well be able to sell them in sets if someone wants them. I think the price I'm going to ask is $6 for the rear and $10 for the front, shipped to 48 states. Alaska, Hawaii and international at actual shipping cost.
pmed and would u be interested in sellin the f150 rs4 mt if so pmme a price
Old 05-02-2009, 07:13 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by 4wd _all_ day
pmed and would u be interested in sellin the f150 rs4 mt if so pmme a price
You have a reply! Sorry but I'm too attached to these trucks right now to consider selling them. They are a blast to drive and fun to scavenge parts for and work on. I'm waiting to find someone with a Thunder Tiger Sparrowhawk TX to see how they match up. I wish more manufacturers would consider building 1/10th scale electric "Truggies."

I expect to have a limited quantity of belts available around the week of May 18th. Price is $10 shipped for the front (HPI Part #A244) and $6 shipped for the rear (HPI #243).

Last edited by beemerfan; 05-21-2009 at 11:33 PM.
Old 05-03-2009, 02:06 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default hello

hey guys,
im new to this site so be gentle...!
it's great to find kindred spirits interested inkeeping their hpi's running! i actually found this thread searching for ideas on doing a nitro to electric conversion...if you guys have any info to share i will certainly appreciate it!
i have an original super nitro rally (since 2001). i found an article where the nitro mt could be converted to super nitro rally's. i have done 3 of these. i want to do an electric conversion as i have a ton of pretty decent mt parts. i am thinking about electric shaft driven using the aluminium chassis and drive train of nitro mt.
let me know what you guys think!
Old 05-03-2009, 10:40 PM
Tech Rookie

I bought one of these trucks a while ago, built it, ran it a couple of times and put it away. I recently took it out of storage to see if it was still fun. It is a blast, however I have a few problems. First, I think that the motor that I have is a little too hot for the application, it is a 13 turn double wind speed gem. Part of the problem is that it is just too much for me to handle, the other part is that I don't think that my esc can handle it either. I have a Novak Reactor, the manual says that it can run down to a 12t, but it exhibits the behavior of being overloaded. I think that I will try out a stock motor for now, but what would be a recommendation for powering this beast?
Old 05-04-2009, 07:20 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by prestonlal
hey guys,
im new to this site so be gentle...!
it's great to find kindred spirits interested inkeeping their hpi's running! i actually found this thread searching for ideas on doing a nitro to electric conversion...if you guys have any info to share i will certainly appreciate it!
i have an original super nitro rally (since 2001). i found an article where the nitro mt could be converted to super nitro rally's. i have done 3 of these. i want to do an electric conversion as i have a ton of pretty decent mt parts. i am thinking about electric shaft driven using the aluminium chassis and drive train of nitro mt.
let me know what you guys think!
Conversions are great fun. Sometimes the process of building something unique can be more fun than driving it. I recently received some photos from another rctech.net member of a Traxxas 4-tec truggy conversion that came out great.

Beware though that you are building something unique from a variety of parts. Its a good idea to keep track of the parts used and have a few spares on hand.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.