R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 04-12-2009, 06:32 AM   #1
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)
Default Help with T4 pusing in corners

Hello,
My 12 year old son runs a T4 and says the car pushes going into corners. What do you need to do to eliminate or reduce this problem? Runs on a clay track with losi pink taper pins gound to slicks.
35 oil in front, 30 in the rear. Green springs rear, gold springs front. 1/2 oz weight in the nose. Slight toe out or closer to no toe out.
Thanks in advance
Timrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 06:56 AM   #2
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 101 (100%+)

not enough weight has transfered to the front.one easy thing to do is soften up the front shocks oil/springs or lay them down one hole on the shock tower,you can lower the fr ride hieght a little.here is a little something to look at http://users.telenet.be/elvo/
Old 04-12-2009, 08:52 AM   #3
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Try silver springs and 30wt (lower like the prior answer said). Also, how do you set your batteries? With the foam block in the rear or front? If the block is in the front, maybe put it in the back to put the weight more to the front. Are you running with the two front a-arms "flat" or preloaded (chassis higher than axles)? Flat or slightly-below flat may help.

http://www.ultimaterc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17100
jmcvicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 10:09 AM   #4
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

yea 30wt silver springs would help...also how much are your brakes set maybe?
B.A. Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 11:13 AM   #5
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

On our indoor track I run silver front and silver rear. (no weight anywhere)60oz.
Also take the weight off of the front of the truck. The more weight on the nose the less weight is transferred.
Battery spacers one in front and two in rear.
Also make sure he is braking or letting off of the throttle to get the truck to rotate into the corner. My son occasionally (in the heat of the race) gets back on the throttle before he enters to corner causing the truck to push out.
"Wait for the rotate!"
Cameron Kellogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 12:35 PM   #6
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

Small adjustments is that is needed and one at a time.

Most steering questions are about exiting not entering problems!

You need to change the amount of traction from the rear to the front.

Here are two options, not posted above.

Where is the rear hub set? IF front or middle try middle or rear. You wouldn't think .030 of a move would make that much diff, it can.

Take one washer out from under the rear camber ball stud to gain a little more traction as you enter the sweeper.

Gold spring on the front, is the track "Blue Groove" if not as posted above go silver (two steps softer) or blue (one step softer).
RC10GT2-E, SC5M, RC10T2, Spec-R S2, FX10
tmail55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 12:38 PM   #7
Tech Fanatic

I always preferred 40wt in the front shocks, I'd also go up a spring rate from stock, to say the silver AE springs, according to their rates. 20 SMOKE has it right about the shock angles, I'd def make them 1 more hole inward at the top, or outward on the bottom. When you do this, you will have to go down a spring rate, to maintain the stiffness role you desire. Note, if these adjustments do not work, I'd try different front tires, or add a little nose weight. I'd start out with 1/4oz with nimh batteries. But I would do the oil and spring rate and shock angle first. Make sure to do one adjustment at a time to see how it affects your truck.

DaRReLL
Old 04-12-2009, 12:42 PM   #8
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

If you're using a computer radio, adjusting the maximum throw helps. On my T4, running on indoor carpet with foam tires, i run 110% left and 125% right. the problem with the T4 steering is the servo-saver; even cranked down to the max, it has enough play to allow the front tires to chatter while turning, which causes the truck to understeer. On dirt, too much weight on the fronts will make the push worse, so be careful with weight distribution.
TLR 8ight-E 3.0/Trackstar/Hobbystar 1450 kV/Turnigy/Airtronics/AKA
ICBeloitRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 12:49 PM   #9
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICBeloitRacer View Post
If you're using a computer radio, adjusting the maximum throw helps. On my T4, running on indoor carpet with foam tires, i run 110% left and 125% right. the problem with the T4 steering is the servo-saver; even cranked down to the max, it has enough play to allow the front tires to chatter while turning, which causes the truck to understeer. On dirt, too much weight on the fronts will make the push worse, so be careful with weight distribution.
your radio adjustments depend on how straight you put the servo on to the servo's possible throw, therefore your 110% and 125% can be irrelevant to him if he does not have his horn set up at the 50% mark of the servo's throw.
Yes if you add to much weight in the front it will push, but if you add the right amount you increase your front traction, you really only push when u have to much rear grip or to much rear weight. I'd try the shock wt, spring rate, and shock angles before I'd adjust anything else
Old 04-12-2009, 08:40 PM   #10
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

I agree with Cameron, take that weight off of the front of your truck. Weight in the front is only good if you are on a soft-offroad type course, not on a slick type course like you are racing now. Take the weight off of the front, and move your battery placement back.

Your setup sounds good otherwise, so don't change too much. Try taking the weight off of the front first and see if it helps, it is easy enough to do. Then play with battery position. Check camber, use about 1/2 deg negative, and run about 33mm front and 30 mm rear ride heights.

Think about it this way, if you are pushing a grocery cart around with a 12 pack of diet coke in it, when is it easiest to steer? With the weight in the front, or the weight in the rear?
High Desert Raceplace, Grand Jct CO, Sanwa Exzes Plus Stick Radio, Spektrum,Thunderpower 230g, Modified Tri-Nut Novak GTB2, Ballistic 4.5t 550, 5.83lb SCTE Ten, Novak Sentry Brushless Dyno, Crossweight Setup Station, Junsi 20A power supply Icharger 20A Charger,TP610C, 22B, Novak Edge, Novak 13.5, SC10, Havoc Pro SC XDrive, Ballistic 17.5 Matthew Joseph Cordova
mattnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 06:28 AM   #11
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

Thanks ever so much for all your help.
Greatly appreciated!

Tim
Timrod is offline   Reply With Quote