R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-10-2009, 01:35 PM   #1
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Jeromesville, Ohio
Posts: 289
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default electric slayer

I am looking into changing my slayer to electric and I have a few questions. I know I can get the ecs and motor seperatley, is there anything special that has to be done to make them work together or do they just plug in and go? Will the original reciever from the truck work with the new electric setup, if so, how does the reciever recognize not to work the throttle servo and run the motor? Will the original servo be retainned for the brakes after the throttle linkage is removed?
cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 01:41 PM   #2
Tech Master
 
snowboard094's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Sac Town CA
Posts: 1,974
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassidy View Post
I am looking into changing my slayer to electric and I have a few questions. I know I can get the ecs and motor seperatley, is there anything special that has to be done to make them work together or do they just plug in and go? Will the original reciever from the truck work with the new electric setup, if so, how does the reciever recognize not to work the throttle servo and run the motor? Will the original servo be retainned for the brakes after the throttle linkage is removed?
if you are doing the tekno conversion kit you use the same reciever and mechanical bake setup. You dont have to use the mechanical brakes. You can strip it all off and use the motor brake. The motor and esc you are buying need to be compatible with each other. Your esc must be able to run the motor you are putting in. If the esc can only run sensorless brushless motors and your motor is a sensored brushless it wont work. What combo do you plan on running??
__________________
-Electrical wiz-Let me check your shorts.....that came out wrong
"Team Terrible"
Ofna Hyper 10sc
T-maxx O.S .18tm

Last edited by snowboard094; 04-10-2009 at 01:59 PM.
snowboard094 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 02:10 PM   #3
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Jeromesville, Ohio
Posts: 289
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

Thanks for the link to techno, I am not sure what combo I would put in , I am just at the stage of looking into the conversion. Maybe a mamba system. I dont know much about the electric stuff. So, if I retain the mechanical brakes, the reciever is ok, but motor brakes require a different reciever? From what I understand from the reading I have done, keeping the mechanical brakes for this conversion is the way to go, and the esc will plug into the reciever and work the motor instead of a throttle servo? I am very mechanically inclined and am a auto technician, so I think I can do the swap, just want to make sure I understand how this electric stuff works.
cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 02:21 PM   #4
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 57
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Cassidy,

The kit comes with a y adapter. It plugs into the receiver, the other ends plug into the speed control and the brake servo. You will then turn the brakes to "none" and no drag brake in your esc settings. The brake servo will work the brakes and the speed control will operate the throttle.

I have the Blue Groove conversion for a slayer roller that I am waiting on. It is basically the same as the Tekno (direct drive instead of using the nitro clutch). A friend just did a conversion on his with the Mamba Monster and 2600kv combo. It is overkill with even a 11.1 lipo. Without dialing the power down in the esc, it has so much power that it'll start to wheelie and completely torque twist over in a roll. I am looking at using the Mamba Max with a lighter motor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassidy View Post
Thanks for the link to techno, I am not sure what combo I would put in , I am just at the stage of looking into the conversion. Maybe a mamba system. I dont know much about the electric stuff. So, if I retain the mechanical brakes, the reciever is ok, but motor brakes require a different reciever? From what I understand from the reading I have done, keeping the mechanical brakes for this conversion is the way to go, and the esc will plug into the reciever and work the motor instead of a throttle servo? I am very mechanically inclined and am a auto technician, so I think I can do the swap, just want to make sure I understand how this electric stuff works.
Qfactor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 03:26 PM   #5
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 343
Default

I am currently converting my slayer to electric. The 2200kv mamba motor is too long to fit with the tekno conversion and the 2650kv is way out of the RPM range you need. You will also have to run mechanical brakes, the slayer like the revo has a one way bearing in the transmission that will prevent the motor from being used as a brake.


Lockhart
__________________
"It's like his brain is running a 64p spur and 48p pinion, sometimes it will engage and work but mostly it just makes a terrible noise"
Stallard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 03:29 PM   #6
Tech Regular
 
elkman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Gresham Oregon
Posts: 359
Default Isn't that a slash?

Isn't a slayer an electric version of a slash ? Or is it set up different?
__________________
"He's old enough to know what's right
But young enough not to choose it"
Neal Peart / Geddy Lee
****RUSH****
elkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 03:31 PM   #7
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 57
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

The Slash is electric 2wd, the Slayer is nitro 4wd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkman View Post
Isn't a slayer an electric version of a slash ? Or is it set up different?
Qfactor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 03:33 PM   #8
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 57
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Is the 2200 to big due to running the kit with the nitro clutch bell? Maybe you can gain the space needed by bypassing the clucth bell and doing a direct drive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stallard View Post
I am currently converting my slayer to electric. The 2200kv mamba motor is too long to fit with the tekno conversion and the 2650kv is way out of the RPM range you need. You will also have to run mechanical brakes, the slayer like the revo has a one way bearing in the transmission that will prevent the motor from being used as a brake.


Lockhart
Qfactor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 03:51 PM   #9
Tech Regular
 
elkman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Gresham Oregon
Posts: 359
Default OK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qfactor View Post
The Slash is electric 2wd, the Slayer is nitro 4wd.
Didn't know they were 4WD.
__________________
"He's old enough to know what's right
But young enough not to choose it"
Neal Peart / Geddy Lee
****RUSH****
elkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Traxxas Slash 1:10 Electric CORR Truck salteen Electric Off-Road 3949 03-19-2012 09:24 AM
The 2009 Short-Course Nationals Sponsored by Team Associated & RC Driver RCMadness Nitro Off-Road 11 07-25-2009 12:04 AM
When will we see a beefier 4WD from Kyosho\Losi\AE? y2kgtp Electric Off-Road 64 11-18-2008 01:15 PM
North End Slash Meet. Wes Briscoe Northwest Racers 157 10-08-2008 10:36 AM
Associated Off Road Desert Truck ? Good Beer Electric Off-Road 541 08-19-2008 09:58 AM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 09:04 PM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net