Slash Question

Old 04-09-2009, 05:29 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default Slash Question

A new track is opening up and going to be running a Slash class. Being new to all this, I have a couple of questions. Battery options are this. You can run a NIMH, NICD 6 or 7 cell pack or Lipo 2s but you must add weight if you run the Lipo. What do you guys recommend? The truck must be left stock other than that. This track is a big track with lots of big jumps and there is a big elevation change. Thanks for any help.
Old 04-09-2009, 05:34 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by h2daddy
A new track is opening up and going to be running a Slash class. Being new to all this, I have a couple of questions. Battery options are this. You can run a NIMH, NICD 6 or 7 cell pack or Lipo 2s but you must add weight if you run the Lipo. What do you guys recommend? The truck must be left stock other than that. This track is a big track with lots of big jumps and there is a big elevation change. Thanks for any help.
Lipos all the way. NiMh is the past. NiMh requires more maintenece, charge discharge, run once a day etc...

Lipos, charge, recharge, balance charge every so often.

no question which to get.

I bought two NiMh packs from Pro-Match when I first got my son's Slash. I take care of my stuff and was using a good charger. Still had the bad luck of poping a cell.

One thing about the batteries I linked- not ROAR aproved so make sure that isn't a requirement at your track.

So I just order 4 of these- http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...25C_Car_Lipoly

Last edited by TwoTone; 04-09-2009 at 07:01 AM.
Old 04-09-2009, 07:43 AM
Tech Rookie

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Go Lipo for sure. I've run 7 cell NiMH and 2s Lipo in my truck. It's noticeably faster with the Lipo even though the voltage is lower.
Old 04-09-2009, 09:43 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

New track?
Old 04-09-2009, 09:58 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

That looks like a good battery to me..deffinately a good price....I am running a Venom 4000 in my Slash and it gets around our track really good
Old 04-09-2009, 10:41 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Def go with lipo - even adding weight so lipo weighs the same as a NiMH pac, they're still better than all but the most carefully maintained race quality NiMHs. Lipo voltage characteristics are better than NiMH.
Old 04-09-2009, 11:25 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default newbee

Hi guys I have been running nitro since I started this hobby, so I dont have that much idea regarding electric stuffs. I just ordered a slash and have read in this tread that I can use Lipo batt, my question is do I have to have a lipo regulator/ cutoff those sort of things to go with lipo when using the stock esc, currently I do plan to upgrade my batts only instead of using my NiMh batts.

And then maybe in the future i'll do upgrade to brushless motor, what do you guys recommend, what type, how many turns etc.
Old 04-10-2009, 03:07 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default slash

Originally Posted by h2daddy

Slash should be run on thier own, and the 2s lipo limit is a good idea...if you race any normal well handling truck along side of these (usually running 3s lipos)...each time you lap them, they are so out of control, they end up smashing into you and taking you off the track.
Old 04-10-2009, 05:15 AM
Tech Initiate

I run Trinity 6 cell 3600 mAh batteries at 7.2 volts. is there that much of a change from these batteries to the 4000 mAh lipo above at 7.4volts? Also, is there anything that needs to be changes in my car such as the esc in order to be compatible with these batteries? thanks
Mini
Old 04-10-2009, 05:23 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Originally Posted by kenshinmd
Hi guys I have been running nitro since I started this hobby, so I dont have that much idea regarding electric stuffs. I just ordered a slash and have read in this tread that I can use Lipo batt, my question is do I have to have a lipo regulator/ cutoff those sort of things to go with lipo when using the stock esc, currently I do plan to upgrade my batts only instead of using my NiMh batts.

And then maybe in the future i'll do upgrade to brushless motor, what do you guys recommend, what type, how many turns etc.
I'm in the same boat as you,(new to electric) I've had my slash for a week.
in the slash tread they say that the stock esc in the slash will not work with a lipo cutoff. I put a cutoff on an old novak gt7 esc that I picked up cheap I'm getting more than 20 minutes run time from the lipo.
Old 04-10-2009, 05:26 AM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I run Slash class at my local track. I just started running LiPo, and I am a total convert. Just plug them in and top them off. Main rule is dont let them get over discharged.

The down side to Lipo, is theres no LiPo cutoff in the Slash ESC, and none are known to work with the Slash ESC. So you will need to keep an eye on it, if you lose power and slow down, shut it down so you dont over discharge the LiPo.

About the only benefit of running NiMh, is if you run a 7cell. There you get a little more punch and top speed, but I find it makes the Slash a little squirrely to drive unless you dial it out on an upgraded radio that can set exponential and such.

So my vote is LiPo, you get a little more punch over 6 cell NiMh. You get longer run times for when you bash. They are pretty easy to maintain with a few simple rules kept in mind.
Old 04-10-2009, 05:29 AM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Mini Wheats
I run Trinity 6 cell 3600 mAh batteries at 7.2 volts. is there that much of a change from these batteries to the 4000 mAh lipo above at 7.4volts? Also, is there anything that needs to be changes in my car such as the esc in order to be compatible with these batteries? thanks
Mini

you get a little more punch with LiPo, and they discharge at a more even rate. While NiMh will drop voltage steady during a run, LiPo maintain voltage so you get better speeds at the back end of a run. Its slight, but there.

And no, your stock ESC will work.
Old 04-10-2009, 05:34 AM
Tech Initiate

How about size difference? the nimhs are tight in the rustler; is the lipos bigger from the cases or not much?
mini
Old 04-10-2009, 05:48 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jimmythebarrel
I run Slash class at my local track. I just started running LiPo, and I am a total convert. Just plug them in and top them off. Main rule is dont let them get over discharged.

The down side to Lipo, is theres no LiPo cutoff in the Slash ESC, and none are known to work with the Slash ESC. So you will need to keep an eye on it, if you lose power and slow down, shut it down so you dont over discharge the LiPo.

About the only benefit of running NiMh, is if you run a 7cell. There you get a little more punch and top speed, but I find it makes the Slash a little squirrely to drive unless you dial it out on an upgraded radio that can set exponential and such.

So my vote is LiPo, you get a little more punch over 6 cell NiMh. You get longer run times for when you bash. They are pretty easy to maintain with a few simple rules kept in mind.
I'll let everyone know soon about the cut off. I've already read on here that people are using the Novak cut off with a Novak cap to prevent the false cut offs. I have 2 sets on the way. I'll post as soon as I know for myself
Old 04-10-2009, 01:16 PM
Tech Apprentice

2s lipo all the way. Powerful AND controllable.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.