R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 04-09-2009, 08:18 AM   #16
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustGoFaster View Post
The wings that are supplied with the stock/OEM bodies are made from thin polycarb. They do tear easily.
JConcept makes much stronger (thicker) polycarb. that last a LOT longer.

The CRT .5 and other hard plastic wings put too much weight too high on the car. They also don't flex enough during a crash and there is more energy transfered to the wing mounts than they were ever designinged to handle.
+1
www.michianarc.com
www.steelmx.com(Sponsor)
porkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 09:16 AM   #17
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by porkey View Post
+1
Well the Jconcepts is a little bit thicker lexan, but it still breaks. The Thunder Tiger ST-1 1/8 truggie wing is the same size as the stock wing, and is VERY flexible. It is a soft grade of plastic. I haven't broken any wing posts with it. It is heavier and only suggested for for LiFe batteries
Your missing out if your using those heavier batteries It does make it grip better, a little weight on the nose and or drag brake will copensate for the weight thus allowing you to have a lot more grip. If you are racing however you may have to change to the cheap lexan wing depending on the track rules.

ST-1 wng is $8 and lasts years It will be common in the future when batteries keep getting more powerful and lighter kits will have to put heavy wings and nose bulkheads
Old 04-09-2009, 09:25 AM   #18
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xDaRReLLx87 View Post
Well the Jconcepts is a little bit thicker lexan, but it still breaks. The Thunder Tiger ST-1 1/8 truggie wing is the same size as the stock wing, and is VERY flexible. It is a soft grade of plastic. I haven't broken any wing posts with it. It is heavier and only suggested for for LiFe batteries
Your missing out if your using those heavier batteries It does make it grip better, a little weight on the nose and or drag brake will copensate for the weight thus allowing you to have a lot more grip. If you are racing however you may have to change to the cheap lexan wing depending on the track rules.

ST-1 wng is $8 and lasts years It will be common in the future when batteries keep getting more powerful and lighter kits will have to put heavy wings and nose bulkheads
Well I add weight sents I run lipos, I have had my JC wing last me for the whole dirt seson with no problems. I was thinking about going with a .5 wing but I think you will break more wing mounts.
www.michianarc.com
www.steelmx.com(Sponsor)
porkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 09:36 AM   #19
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by porkey View Post
Well I add weight sents I run lipos, I have had my JC wing last me for the whole dirt seson with no problems. I was thinking about going with a .5 wing but I think you will break more wing mounts.
Yeah, I just like how the wing keep's it shape and it does look cool
It's not to heavey with lipo's but is def needed for Life batteries haha
You can try it, it's very nice wing the Thunder Tiger ST-1

The wing mounts do bend slightly, but once they are bent they become stronger and less prone to breaking I would give it a try The ST-1 wing comes in many colors I think all wings for R/C should be of this quality.

Note- if you do as I have done, you can put an X beam inbetween the post which will keep them from ever breaking or bending. Only the ST-1 wing is really flexible the other wings are just slightly flexible
Old 04-10-2009, 08:12 AM   #20
Tech Fanatic

okay, take that back You break the part of the wing mount that holds the clip every now and then , even still same price as the wing in most cases and lasts much longer, finally broke the posts yesterday after 4.5 months of 50hrs a week at the track