R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 04-08-2009, 10:05 AM   #1
Tech Apprentice

Thumbs up toe-in and toe-out

what are the effects of adding more toe-out to your buggy other than the steering beeing more smooth and controlled?

team associated r the best!!!11!
asbe88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 10:11 AM   #2
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Your car may tend to wander in rhythms or rough parts of the track. Not as stable going straight.

Paul
Old 04-08-2009, 11:12 AM   #3
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to OTE_TheMissile

Front toe-in will make the car more controllable entering turns, and front toe-out will make the car more controllable on exit and improves handing during the transition in an S-curve.

Rear toe deals pretty much with the overall stability of the car. More toe-in will keep it pointed in a straight line down the straightaways, and less toe-in (or even going toe-out, which I've commonly seen with monster trucks) will make the car more squirrely on the straights but it'll be easier to get the back end to come around entering a turn.

So rule of thumb: toe-in=more stable, toe-out=more sensitive; front toe deals with cornering, rear toe deals with straightaways.
OTE_TheMissile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 12:25 PM   #4
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTE_TheMissile View Post
Front toe-in will make the car more controllable entering turns, and front toe-out will make the car more controllable on exit and improves handing during the transition in an S-curve.

Rear toe deals pretty much with the overall stability of the car. More toe-in will keep it pointed in a straight line down the straightaways, and less toe-in (or even going toe-out, which I've commonly seen with monster trucks) will make the car more squirrely on the straights but it'll be easier to get the back end to come around entering a turn.

So rule of thumb: toe-in=more stable, toe-out=more sensitive; front toe deals with cornering, rear toe deals with straightaways.
Not necessarily but for the most part you have it right, but to add a little more,

Toe in the front, will make your car more stable in the straights and easier to align for jumping purposes. This will make the steering less sensitive and allow you to have more turn in the middle of the turn out.
I find this to be better suited for larger tracks.

Toe out in the front, will allow for easier turn in and will also make corrections during a slide easier. To me it is ALWAYS faster to have toe out.
You can play with rear shock angles to get the car to turn better middle out if you have toe out.

In the rear, It is best to have toe in, this not only does what OTE_TheMissile states but it increases rear grip
I wouldn't go higher than 4 toe in the rear or lower than 2 degrees.

For buggies, typically it is best for -.05 toe out to -2 toe out. Camber -1 to -2 in the front. +0.5 to -1.5 in the rear depending on track. The rear toe is generally a stock preset that can not be changed without getting alternate arm mounts.
Old 04-08-2009, 12:30 PM   #5
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

i always keep the toe just allitle bit out in the front...i forget what i cambered it but it increases your steering
B.A. Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 12:30 PM   #6
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by asbe88 View Post
what are the effects of adding more toe-out to your buggy other than the steering beeing more smooth and controlled?
http://users.telenet.be/elvo/1/1.html

Pack a lunch, but I think that this is an amazing amount of information of what different changes will do to your car.
Old 04-08-2009, 12:51 PM   #7
Tech Fanatic

this is better

http://www.rc-truckncar-tuning.com/r...on-tuning.html

asbe88 What buggy do you have? B4 or B44, assuming either one of those since your an Associated guy
Old 04-08-2009, 01:32 PM   #8
Tech Adept

I don't know if it's better, but it's a very good read, and easier to understand, perhaps. I wouldn't consider that quite as in-depth, but then again, some people don't like in-depth, they want meat and potatoes and nothing more.

How about this? Read both and you'll have a better understanding of the subject matter.
Old 04-08-2009, 01:51 PM   #9
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ice-nine View Post
I don't know if it's better, but it's a very good read, and easier to understand, perhaps. I wouldn't consider that quite as in-depth, but then again, some people don't like in-depth, they want meat and potatoes and nothing more.

How about this? Read both and you'll have a better understanding of the subject matter.
you have to learn the basics first

P.s have you even clicked the pages within the text of my article? it explains the gist of everything very well.
you must not have clicked on them, has way more information than your link my friend

has answers to the following questions: each of which has pages of information.

How changing Wheelbase affects your rc car or truck.

What is Caster and what is does.

How Camber affects handling.

How Toe-in and Toe-out affects your handling.

How Sway Bars affect your Handling and Performance.

How different Shock Angles change handling and performance.

How Spring Weight and Spring Preload affects handling.

What Shock Damping is and how changing it can affect performance.

How changing Ride Height can affect handling.

What is Droop and how it affects handling.

What is Ackerman Steering and how does it affect handling.

How Anti-squat affects your handling.

Determining Roll Center and how it affects handling.

Freeing Up your Rc Suspension

What is Kick-up and how it affects handling.
Old 04-08-2009, 02:54 PM   #10
Tech Adept

Yes, I did take a peek through it, it's good, and has more information about other aspects besides geometry changes/handling. Motors, batteries, etc. Just about every handling aspect that you listed there is discussed in EXTREME detail in what I linked. With plenty of illustrations, and less ebay banners.

Both are very good. And people can read both, agreed?
Old 04-08-2009, 07:28 PM   #11
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

Ya well my brother can beat your brother up....
Old 04-08-2009, 07:57 PM   #12
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Yes, I did take a peek through it, it's good, and has more information about other aspects besides geometry changes/handling. Motors, batteries, etc. Just about every handling aspect that you listed there is discussed in EXTREME detail in what I linked. With plenty of illustrations, and less ebay banners.

Both are very good. And people can read both, agreed?
Yes I actually prefer your link more clear to thy Science mind
Old 04-08-2009, 08:57 PM   #13
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by xDaRReLLx87 View Post
Yes I actually prefer your link more clear to thy Science mind
Yeah, it's pretty scientific, allright. I can only handle about an hour of it at a time, any more, and my eyes start to glaze over.

Man, I just wish I had these articles in the 80's. It would have beat the heck out of the trial and (and lots of) error methods that I used to try to get my cars right back then.
Old 04-08-2009, 09:38 PM   #14
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Yeah, it's pretty scientific, allright. I can only handle about an hour of it at a time, any more, and my eyes start to glaze over.

Man, I just wish I had these articles in the 80's. It would have beat the heck out of the trial and (and lots of) error methods that I used to try to get my cars right back then.
I thought I saw this writeup in the Library druing the 80's
Old 04-09-2009, 12:13 AM   #15
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by xDaRReLLx87 View Post
this is better

http://www.rc-truckncar-tuning.com/r...on-tuning.html

asbe88 What buggy do you have? B4 or B44, assuming either one of those since your an Associated guy
i have a b3 and a b4 but I'm talking about my b4.. it tends to turn too sharply and the rear spins around with the front so i can often end up facing sideways

sorry for the late response

But i dont't think that information really matters now since to be honest i think this thread has come to its conclusion, unless anyone has some facts not been pointed out before.

team associated r the best!!!11!

Last edited by asbe88; 04-09-2009 at 12:17 AM. Reason: missed out info
asbe88 is offline   Reply With Quote