Community
Wiki Posts
Search

rustler help!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2009, 03:59 PM
Tech Rookie

Default rustler help!!

i have just recently returned to the rc game. i bought a rustler rtr and i was wondering what some basic upgrades could involve. im thinking about the velineon esc and motor, but not to sure if the rtr is ready for it. can i just purchase the veleneon kit and plug and play or do i really need other things. i know that the enthusiast will recomend a ton of other things, and i agre that it would truly benefit. but im also jus an afternoon battery burner just looking for some more power. if you dnt think my idea is good..please recomend another. maybe just a motor. and is brushless necessary? thanx for all your help..nicholas
Old 04-07-2009, 04:22 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

well i have a rustler vxl and yea its amazing and worth the upgrade...and the things i would upgrade is maybe the drive shaft and thats about it but with that system your rustler isnt waterproof anymore
Old 04-07-2009, 04:27 PM
Tech Regular

Talking

oo and a high torque servo...if you want to...because with that new brush less system it will fly especially if you get a lipo battery
Old 04-07-2009, 04:39 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 59 (100%+)

the stock servo is pretty tourkey already. the "must do" is replace the internal tranny gears with steal. the stock xl-5 tranny is all plastic and only last a few months on the 12 turn. steal ideler first, its about $10. steal ringed diff would be next (never blew the diff on mine but after 2 idelers it looked pretty wore). then I would go for sure on the RPM rear hubs with the 5x11 bearings. the stock small bearing dont last very long. as for everything else, just replace as needed. RPM make almost every upgrade part for the rusty and wont bend like aluminum.
Old 04-07-2009, 04:44 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

If you bought your Rustler recently enough (within the last month or so?), it already has the steel VXL gears and is totally brushless ready. If it's an older model with the plastic gears, you can get a steel idler gear for $3 and a diff case with steel gears for $6 at Tower. Also, if your Rustler is the newer (waterproof) version, it already has bearings in the tranny but you should really upgrade the 8 wheel bushings to bearings. Bearings are much more brushless friendly.
Old 04-07-2009, 04:58 PM
Tech Regular

+1 ^^^
Old 04-07-2009, 06:22 PM
Tech Rookie

Default thanx everyone.

this is the first time i have used this site and to recieve prompt responses is awsome. i will take everyones suggestions and build my baby. it is the waterproof rustler i think its called the xl-5. i bought it 2 days ago.
Old 04-07-2009, 06:34 PM
Tech Regular

yea it is
Old 04-07-2009, 07:03 PM
Tech Initiate

my engine blew on my rustler, but i'd say engine, but thats just me =) depends more on the track your on and if you can go a little faster do it in my mind. Even so the 12 turn on rustlers aren't real 12 turns from my understanding??
Mini
Old 04-08-2009, 11:25 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

One of my first cars was a Rustler, since sold and now have a pede. Bashing I say, RPM bumper, bearing carriers(front and rear), I love the older 19 turn Trinity Quartz, loads of low end, but they are a rare find since being replaced by the Arcornite, but something like a 17 turn will be very good with the stock speedo. I never had a problem with the trannys at all, even running a 10x1 with a 7 cell pack back in the day. I did do the MIP CVD replacement, but before that I had the steel drive yokes, and those were overly built for my truck. Biggest thing I always had a problem with was the shock caps popping off. Solved with a set of AE off a RC10 and RC10T. I would say get the Traxxas Big Bore aluminum or AE rear truck and front truck set. Only other thing is tires, but that would depends you are driving on.

It is one hell of a tough truck, with very few problems. Mine was the fastest on the block with the power I had going through it. The ting is built like a tank so not much you can do to end. Just Lipo it, and a better motor.
Nick