Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Revo 2.5 brushless conversion >

Revo 2.5 brushless conversion

Revo 2.5 brushless conversion

Old 04-05-2009, 09:37 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Revo 2.5 brushless conversion

I converted a 2.5 revo to brushless with a mamba 2200 and I used the tekno RC conversion kit...had a problem with spacing but nothing a little trial and error couldnt fix.
The one problem I'm having finding information on is how to setup the brake servo cuz I had to buy a new radio since the radio I have doesnt work. (tried the 3 channel traxxas but it didnt work and my analog JR didnt work either...DOH!!!). I was able to finally calibrate the esc with my friend's spectrum 2.0 radio. I have ordered the same radio since I know it works.
The reason I am using a brake servo instead of the motor brake is because of the 2 speed transmission that is already in the revo, and I'm not interested in changing it out for a 1 speed. I imagine the 2 speed would give me more top speed when I eventually upgrade to a Lipo battery instead of the two 7.2V 4200 mAH batteries.

Any advice would be appreciated.
Old 04-05-2009, 09:52 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Ronin9797 View Post
I converted a 2.5 revo to brushless with a mamba 2200 and I used the tekno RC conversion kit...had a problem with spacing but nothing a little trial and error couldnt fix.
The one problem I'm having finding information on is how to setup the brake servo cuz I had to buy a new radio since the radio I have doesnt work. (tried the 3 channel traxxas but it didnt work and my analog JR didnt work either...DOH!!!). I was able to finally calibrate the esc with my friend's spectrum 2.0 radio. I have ordered the same radio since I know it works.
The reason I am using a brake servo instead of the motor brake is because of the 2 speed transmission that is already in the revo, and I'm not interested in changing it out for a 1 speed. I imagine the 2 speed would give me more top speed when I eventually upgrade to a Lipo battery instead of the two 7.2V 4200 mAH batteries.

Any advice would be appreciated.
I am converting a slayer like you and am stripping the brake off and using the motor brake. It will still shift into the 2nd gear. And you loose a servo!!! You have more programmability with the motor brake. The mechanical brake is mainly for if you car running a rear brake kit and want to adjust the bias.
Old 04-05-2009, 10:56 PM
Tech Rookie

actually with the 2 speed in the revo there is a slipper clutch that allows for the wheels to turn without spinning the spur gear. I have to use the brake servo. I dont have reverse btw...apparently someone took it out. My revo started its life as a nitro.
Old 04-06-2009, 06:20 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Using Motor brake you still have a slipper. Also when you lock the tranny for motor brake it is locked in second gear. It will still wheelie like that pretty easily. I found it easier setup with the motor brake.
Old 04-06-2009, 06:34 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by AcadDude View Post
Using Motor brake you still have a slipper. Also when you lock the tranny for motor brake it is locked in second gear. It will still wheelie like that pretty easily. I found it easier setup with the motor brake.
Do you have to lock the tranny in second gear to use the motor brake?
Old 04-06-2009, 10:09 PM
Tech Apprentice

Smile

I have converted a slayer with Teckno conversion,MMM 2200KV/combo with 14.8V 4S2P Max Amp Lipo's,17MM Ofna hub adapter's with 1/8 Pro Line Badland's tires and wheels and running Mechanical brakes all works fine only problem i had so far is broke 1 pin in tranny on center shaft gears and stock traxxas radio glitches will be upgrading to spectrum soon the best thing i ever did was go BRUSHLESS i will run mine for awhile longer but i will eventually lock tranny into 2nd gear and use motor brakes just because i want reverse but i have no problems using the mechanical's
Old 04-07-2009, 06:32 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by snowboard094 View Post
Do you have to lock the tranny in second gear to use the motor brake?
I think so. This also get's rid of another oneway bearing too. Forward only kit installed also.
Old 04-07-2009, 06:54 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

To use mechanical brakes, get a Y adapter and plug the ESC and the brake servo into channel 2 on the reciever. Set the ESC to 0 brake on your computer and you should be fine.
Old 01-22-2010, 04:07 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by badassrevo View Post
To use mechanical brakes, get a Y adapter and plug the ESC and the brake servo into channel 2 on the reciever. Set the ESC to 0 brake on your computer and you should be fine.
Has anyone tried running mech brakes off a Y cable and then turning the max mech brake force down AND turning the max brushless brake force down (less battery use and motor heat/stress/etc) and then simply backing up under mech brakes? I only want to back up when I'm against a wall and still have minimal braking force coming from the ESC. That way you have mech brakes combined with brushless brakes (= full brakes) AND still have reverse (all be it not super fast reversing but still "get out of trouble reversing)?
Old 01-22-2010, 10:51 AM
Tech Fanatic

I was using a Mamba Max and that allows braking to be adjusted and reverse power to be adjusted independently. I'd set the reverse at 25% which was about what you had described.