R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 04-05-2009, 06:25 AM   #16
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Stict it out, all the cars are good. You just have to figure out your set up.

ARCS Hobbies / Paint Monster Airbrushing / BFast / Tonys Screws
badassrevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 06:58 AM   #17
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

Hey Kevin,

I understand how you feel. Some cars just fit certain people's driving style better than others. Either car can do great in the hands of the right driver. My driving was erratic this weekend but the B44 was handling well. I'll be more than happy to let you try Kevin's or my 44 during practice one night or Sat. We can even bind the car to your radio to get a true back-to-back comparision. My car is set up fairly neutral so it would be a good starting point. Post here or PM me the next time you plan to be at the track.
Rick S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 07:17 AM   #18
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

There was a guy at our track not to long ago who sold his b44 and built a kyosho, and liked it much better.

I had a zx5 and sold it for the b44 and like the b44 better.

Its all set up and personal prefernece.

You may perfer the b44 for your driving style, you may not. I can say for sure the only thing that I liked better about the Kyosho was there super smooth shocks.

If you can afford the extra $ on a new 4wd give it a try. If not see if you can find a different set up for your currnet 4wd
Old 04-05-2009, 09:48 AM   #19
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by badassrevo View Post
Stict it out, all the cars are good. You just have to figure out your set up.
x1

Over the years I've seen the same behavior repeated over and over by people looking to be faster ~ they hope to find speed in buying another car. Yet after everything is said and done they still run in the back of the pack whether they have the latest and greatest or not.
Why?
Because they spend more time worrying who has something newer than what they are driving, instead of spending that time figuring what they need to do to their set-up to make their car work better and what they have to do with their driving to make it more consistant and get better lap times.

I regularly see guys show up at the track with 6-8 year old BJ4's and XX-4's and are competitive ~ which shows, especially on the local/club level, that it's more about set-up and driving than it is about the car and having the latest hot ticket.
Lightin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 10:06 AM   #20
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightin' View Post
x1

Over the years I've seen the same behavior repeated over and over by people looking to be faster ~ they hope to find speed in buying another car. Yet after everything is said and done they still run in the back of the pack whether they have the latest and greatest or not.
Why?
Because they spend more time worrying who has something newer than what they are driving, instead of spending that time figuring what they need to do to their set-up to make their car work better and what they have to do with their driving to make it more consistant and get better lap times.

I regularly see guys show up at the track with 6-8 year old BJ4's and XX-4's and are competitive ~ which shows, especially on the local/club level, that it's more about set-up and driving than it is about the car and having the latest hot ticket.
This is all true , setup is everything Sometimes it pays off to use odd camber adjustments such as -0.8 in the rear you don't have to use what everyone else is using is my point, you use what is best for your car.
Old 04-05-2009, 12:52 PM   #21
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I haven't driven in a long time, just getting back into RC cars, but I came across this thread, and I thought of an old Yogi Berra quote talking about baseball--

"Ninety percent of this game is half mental"

Nowadays, it seems to me that if you're running one of maybe 8-10 cars on the market, the car choice is probably not the answer. But we pick what we like because we like it: so decide what you want to do and stick with it. Running a B44 might not be a half bad idea, it could be the boost of confidence that you need. If you're ok with spending the money, and if you have a lot more people to ask for help in order to set your car up, it just might be the right move. Sounds like you have some peeps who would be willing to let you try the car, that is a huge plus. If you like the car better, then make the switch.

But before you do, ask yourself how well set up you think your ZX5 is. Are you using the right motor/gearing, what is your car doing on the corners that gives you problems? Where are you coming up short? Because the bottom line is, if you don't know, you won't be able to fix it by simply switching cars. If you are prepared to spend money on a B44, you are also prepared to invest a little more in your Kyosho to get it running the way you want it, if that's what it takes.

Back in the eighties, my biggest problem was nothing I could spend money on-- it was anxiety. I could turn fast laps in practice, and I did my part in terms of learning how to drive and about setting a car up. But on race day, I could not properly focus and would make mistakes, get frustrated, and make more mistakes. The only solution was continuing to race, to stick it out, to become more familiar with my car, and as important as anything, try to have fun, no matter what the outcome, competition became fun for me.

In time, even though there were always much faster cars on the track, I would often be in the hunt because I turned consistent laps. My car was set up right, and I was very familiar with it. Watch some races, it's been awhile for me, but I'm sure it hasn't changed that much. Try to identify the people who seem to be running well, and watch them drive. Watch others who, for example, appear to be running more motor then they can handle, and identify the areas where they lose time. If you know of any good drivers running ZX5's, watch them, try to pick out differences between them and you in terms of driving and the way the car is handling the track.

Practice practice practice on the track you intend to run. Check your lap times vs. the fast guys. Once you can get up to the same general times in practice, and you will know that all you have to do is bring it on race day from that point on, and that will build your confidence.

Best of luck to you, you'll get there!

Last edited by ice-nine; 04-05-2009 at 12:53 PM. Reason: sp
ice-nine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 02:31 PM   #22
Tech Apprentice

Thanks for all the advice guys!!

Just a little venting from a bad race day (still had fun) at the track. I'm going to go back to a base line setup with the Kyosho for next week. And maybe I'll take someone up on the offer to "test drive a B44".

I'm sure my biggest problem right now is setup, and since I'm new to RC racing (former pro-basher) I'm struggling with what changes to try. In addition since there are so few Kyosho's where I race, there isn't much set-up info. "floating" around the pits.

Thanks Again

Everyone's advice helped!!!

Kevin

Last edited by everything_rc; 04-05-2009 at 06:12 PM.
everything_rc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 04:02 PM   #23
Tech Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to viperbill1963
Default 4wd buggy

well i would suggest you ask to borrow a associated b44 for a race weekend or ask to drive someone's b44 and see if your lap times are any better then go from there .you can upgrade the k-car to the current model but ask if you would be better off with a car like losi or associated with their great part support ???
Old 04-05-2009, 07:02 PM   #24
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightin' View Post
x1

part of that is because the xx4 can still hang with anything out there.

Tamiya 419x/Associated TC7.1/Sanwa M12s/Xpert servos
d16dcoe45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 11:50 AM   #25
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

All of the top 4wd cars are great! IMO, just drive what you have. I would recommend either using the stock setup or maybe Tebo's setup at track similar to where you race. Put the right tires on the thing and drive, drive, and then drive some more. Don't make any changes other than tires and you'll learn all the handling characteristics of the car. When your laptimes are consistant (plus or minus a second with 3 bad laps per heat), then start fooling with the setup. 99% of racing is tires and driving...
richard.bratton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 01:16 PM   #26
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 65 (100%+)

I've owned both, and now only own a B44.

The B44 has a stiffer more planted feel than the Lazer for sure. The Lazer handles the rough stuff very well, and especially the jumps. Better than the B44 I thought. It just felt like the smoother car for "real" offroading. I break the B44 less than the Lazer for sure. Not sure why. There is no/minimal parts support at my track for the Lazer.

The B44 is just EASIER to own in the end. Both are awesome cars, but I like the planted feel of the B44, the parts support, the driver support, etc. That said....the Lazer to me is no slouch, and it often has me wondering if selling it was a bad move. Both awesome cars.
markhat250 is offline   Reply With Quote