R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 04-03-2009, 07:47 PM   #1
Tech Rookie

Default XXXT MF2 transmission help please!

Okay so I have xxxt MF2 (grey trans) and I keep blowing diff gears. I have the mamba sidwinder setup with the 4600kv running 2 cell 3800mah lipo. I was thinking an easy solution would be to put the Speed T Trans in there. I know this wouldnt be good for racing but i do more bashing than racing anyways. Does anybody know if this crossover will work? Do I have a better option.?
Thanks
gee55987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 07:51 PM   #2
Tech Fanatic

When you mean by blowing them, Do they have a melt look to them or are you just stripping the gears? If you have your Diff set to loose it can go bad rather fast. I'm not saying this is what you have been doing, just a generalization. I had this problem once and I forgot to tighten my diff screw. So it's just a suggestion
Old 04-03-2009, 07:55 PM   #3
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 18 (95%+)

Upgrade to the metal diff outdrives. This will solve your problem(If i'm thinking what your thinking). I would reccomend a rustler if your doing more bashing. The rustler can be race worthy but it an all star basher.
Old 04-03-2009, 07:55 PM   #4
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Well.. you shouldn't have any problems with the diff gear running that motor. It is only equivalent to between an 8.5 and 10.5 brushless..

Make sure you change out the diff nut when you rebuild it and that it is tightened down enough. If it slips too much it can melt.

The Speed-T "locker" diff fits in the GenI/CR style tranny.. not the GenII.

Are you running this on a track/dirt or on the street?

Jerome
JeromeK99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 08:14 PM   #5
Tech Rookie

Well I use it on both dirt and street. (wherever really, bashing) To be honest I'm not a big fan of traxxas trucks, i guess i am a little stubborn. I cannot give up my losi.
When I was said blow I guess i just ment strip. I coud tell they were starting to wear my a clicking noise inside, then I punched it once and thats all she wrote. I'm thinking that metal gears wouldnt be a bad idea..i just wish the speet t tarns would work..I wonder if the internals would swap over. Hmmm. Does anyone know of a good place to buy a metal gear set for the MF2 trans...
Old 04-03-2009, 08:43 PM   #6
Tech Initiate

Use the DT gear diff. Better than useing the locker.
Heres a previous thread about how to swap it.
https://www.rctech.net/forum/showthread.php?t=225845

"For the MF2 u will need part# 2919,2930, tranny screw set for desert truck, these 3 parts are specific for the desert truck, t-plate for xxxt or cr, rear pivot block for xxxt or cr, idler gear, upper shaft and bearings for xxxt or cr, motor plate an gear cover for xxxt or cr..... on the MF2 u need to replace the dogbones with bones that are .215 longer, not sure about the cr dogbones."

Posted on another forum. Some of these item you probably already have. This list is for those with a standard XXX-T or the CR version. The MF version needs a couple of other items(explained in the link above) since the tranny is different.

"Slipper:

LOSA3124 Spring, Cup, Spacer & Wash: Hydra - You don't need the silver spring only the gold one.
LOSA3983 82T 48P Kevlar Spur: XXX/T
LOSA9930 Alum Upper Gear/Shaft 2.19:1 all XXX
LOSA3132 Slipper Backing Plate (x2)
LOSA3123 Slipper Friction Pad (x2)
LOSA3608 4-40 Steel Locking 1/2 Nuts (10) - You just need one, but hey spares are nice to have.

Diff (DT):
LOSA2919 Transmission Case, Gear Diff Only: DT - Gotta have this.
LOSA2930 Diff Set, Complete: DT

Diff (XXX-T CR):
LOSA3041 XXXCR Motor Plate
LOSA3079 Idler Gear Set: XXXCR/XX Buggy, SPT - This comes with two gears, you only need one. Unforunately it does not come with the shaft, see LOSA2937.
LOSA2937 Idle Gear 32T & Shaft: XX/Gen II - This comes with a gear and shaft. Use the shaft, the gear does not work with the DT diff.
LOSA6909 1/8" x 3/8" BB (XX Trans)
LOSA6903 Sealed BB, 3/16x3/8
LOSA6908 1/2" x 3/4" Sealed BB
LOSA3065 Losi Diff Lube
LOSA3034 Tranny Screw Set: XXX, XXX-T, SPT"

Last edited by kahnen; 04-03-2009 at 09:00 PM.
kahnen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 08:58 PM   #7
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by gee55987 View Post
Well I use it on both dirt and street. (wherever really, bashing) To be honest I'm not a big fan of traxxas trucks, i guess i am a little stubborn. I cannot give up my losi.
When I was said blow I guess i just ment strip. I coud tell they were starting to wear my a clicking noise inside, then I punched it once and thats all she wrote. I'm thinking that metal gears wouldnt be a bad idea..i just wish the speet t tarns would work..I wonder if the internals would swap over. Hmmm. Does anyone know of a good place to buy a metal gear set for the MF2 trans...
Check your idler (middle gear) and see if its worn a bit.. also the tranny cases do wear out every once-in-awhile.. then the gears wobble and strip. Make sure the bearings are not messed up either. The diff should be able to handle that motor with no problems.

You aren't using reverse are you? If you are, make sure you are at a complete stop before going in the opposite direction.

Street driving can be a little rough on the diff.. but usually just wears out the balls and rings.

I don't ever remember seeing metal diff or idler gears available for the Gen II.

Jerome
JeromeK99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 09:00 PM   #8
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to ChrisWolfson Send a message via Yahoo to ChrisWolfson Send a message via Skype™ to ChrisWolfson

Honestly, you shouldn't have any trouble with the stock transmission and your motor. Get some new gears - idler and diff - and rebuild the whole transmission. Make sure the diff is adjusted correctly and have someone help you set the diff and slipper. If all of that is correct, you should have no issue.
Old 04-03-2009, 09:10 PM   #9
Tech Rookie

Oh boy, im not sur eif i have the no how for that. Im nto too familiar with the other trucks and which parts are different. Does losi make a rebuild kit for the mf2 trans.. i might just have to go that route..sorry my page didnt refresh and i hadnt seen your guys' post after Kahnen. Yeah I am just going to rebuild mine. Wheer can I get all the patrs needed and what are the number... Thanks a million