R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 04-03-2009, 10:35 AM   #31
Tech Adept

I'll trade my ball dif trans for a gear dif trans anyday. PM me and lets trade.
RC10 gt2
SC10
backyardracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 10:53 AM   #32
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I'd say they gave it a gear diff due to the target market...beginners. While it's still a T4 at heart, beginners and bashers tend to dish out heavy abuse on trannies...so they gave it a gear diff that can take it and have little to no maintenance. The last thing you want is a beginner trash talking about your cheap car cuz he blew the tranny the first time he got it, or that he "built it like the sheet said" but it doesn't work. Plus, you can put oil in it to tune it, much like the ball diff. I've been through so many ball diffs rebuilds & tunes that I'd take a easy going gear diff anyday! I love the slash for that.
Aluma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 12:39 PM   #33
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to CClay1282 Send a message via Yahoo to CClay1282

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddzilla View Post
I agree with you, I see no reason why they couldn't use a ball diff, so I just wonder why they didn't.
Think about this: Traxxas came out with the first SCT. The class blew up with them running a "box stock" class. Traxxas has used gear diffs in just about (if not all) everything. AE decides to come out with a truck to perform with the slashes. Why not make it a gear diff too? Keep the rules the same. Most of the tracks around here will not let you run a ball diff.

I actually prefer gear diffs. More durable, less maintanence. But the problem with them is to tune them it takes a great deal of time. With a ball diff, its easy, one wrench turn and your done in most cases.

Team Hydra-Sharp / Leading Edge / Yardarm Marine Products

RC10T4 - FT / RC10B4 - FT / RC8 -FT - Soon to be tekno converted
CClay1282 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 12:41 PM   #34
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aluma View Post
I'd say they gave it a gear diff due to the target market...beginners. While it's still a T4 at heart, beginners and bashers tend to dish out heavy abuse on trannies...so they gave it a gear diff that can take it and have little to no maintenance. The last thing you want is a beginner trash talking about your cheap car cuz he blew the tranny the first time he got it, or that he "built it like the sheet said" but it doesn't work. Plus, you can put oil in it to tune it, much like the ball diff. I've been through so many ball diffs rebuilds & tunes that I'd take a easy going gear diff anyday! I love the slash for that.
you can tune a gear diff with oil instead of the stupid inconstant Allen key and the smoothness of the dif doesn't relay on how flat the stupid side plates are and the bearings being the same diameter and being round.
RC10 gt2
SC10
backyardracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 01:09 PM   #35
K_B
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 69 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aluma View Post
That's exactly what I did with my Tamiya King Cab back in the day. It came with this convoluted contraption that they called a "ball diff" which I had no concept of at the time. I literally melted down the inside of the diff gear on it's mayden voyage because I had the diff set too loose. You can imagine my frustration; especially at the ripe old age of twelve

If I'm not mistaken though, I thought the gear diff was making a comeback in 2WD off-road because of high powered brushless?
K_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 02:04 PM   #36
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

With the power of todays batteries, and brushless systems, its a no brainer to use a gear diff. Some of these systems have more power than a nitro motor. Gear diffs have been proven time and time again to handle the rigors of off road racing, and require much less maintenance than a ball type diff. Really with a sealed diff you can tune it with heavy silicone oil to preform just like a ball diff. I can tell you first hand when I tried a 3S lipo, Mamba max 4800kv in a XXXCR it toasted the ball diff twice running around (I know the car wasnt designed for 11.1v) but thats my point, people these days are bashing these things and the ball diff is the weak link in the tranny in high power applications.
hobbipro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 03:06 PM   #37
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

What if money were no object..Which one is gonna out perform the other at a top level racer level?
jmonte23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 03:33 PM   #38
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to drperry Send a message via MSN to drperry Send a message via Yahoo to drperry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightin' View Post
Not sure what you are comparing here, but Losi was the first to use a balldiff in a production car tranny and I seriously doubt it was any lighter than what else was on the market. More efficient overall tranny undoubtedly than the AE 6-gears that relied on the spur gear for it's diff action, but the Tamiya/Kyosho plastic gear diffs were just as light (but crap and blew up regularly).
I'm sure the new AE geardiff is a much better mousetrap, but only time will tell.

I've never, ever, ever seen signs of wear on my Clodbuster diff gears!

Even when my cheap method of "locking" the rear diff, back in the day, was just shoving stuff into the gears so they wouldn't turn

Eventually, the stuff just falls out...
And I've run my truck at -40...
It was the same for my old Fighter Buggy R/X...

Ball diffs, were most likely made for the ease of adjustment at the race track...

Gear diffs are a lot more durable, and long lived... They're just more of a pain to tune, lol.

You just need to use really really thick fluid with some vehicles... My Jato is running 100k weight, and the diff still occasionally unloads

I kinda hope Kyosho makes either a 1/8th scale SC or a 1/10 Electric SC... Leaning more to the 1/10 Electric SC
drperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 03:48 PM   #39
wwoodruff

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kgtp View Post
Here is a Slash next to a 1/8th buggy....about the same length and width, and same tire sizes...

Its so close that I am converting my MP 777 sp2, with SC8 wheels and tires, and a Truth body from JConcepts ( it fit the best, I tried them all at the hobby shop.) I found some ST-R shock towers and body mounts on fleabay, direct bolt on.

Old 04-03-2009, 03:51 PM   #40
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to y2kgtp Send a message via Yahoo to y2kgtp

That's gonna be cool. How about a 1/8th Electric SCT class....
Old 04-03-2009, 03:54 PM   #41
wwoodruff

It may end up electric before I am done, I have had a Novak conversion in a GT, It was ballistic. I am waiting for the new Tekin RX 8.
Old 04-03-2009, 04:03 PM   #42
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

I can tell you first hand 1/8th electric CORR trucks are a blast. I converted my SC8 to EP with a Monster Max 2650kv system, needless to say I'm having a hard time keeping the tires glues on! I might drop a tekin RX-8 1700kv in this after my Monster burns up...
hobbipro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 04:42 PM   #43
Tech Regular

man i thought this was a whos the next corr truck thread? LOL. im gonna put my money on losi for sure and they will definetly think outside the box on a truck kyosho hasent even got their 10th stadium truck out yet whats that tell ya. now for the gear diff issue my 2 cents is in off road with big jumps bigger tires powerful lipo's and brushless power its a no brainer a gear diff is much more durable and can be tuned in a WIDE range for many different types of surfaces. to rebuild a ball diff sucks i hate it im all for gear diffs.
charly71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 04:55 PM   #44
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

[QUOTE=charly71;5637061]man i thought this was a whos the next corr truck thread? LOL. QUOTE]

ya we are a little off topic here
scrapen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 05:00 PM   #45
wwoodruff

Ok. My vote is for Losi. They are never far behind Associated and many times in front.