R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 04-03-2009, 09:09 AM   #16
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightin' View Post
Do you see any balldiffs in eighth scale offroad?
1/8 scale offroad is a completely different animal than a 1/10 scale truck.

The best comparison to the SCT trucks are the 1/10 stadium trucks they are based on. The wheels aren't significantly taller than a stadium truck wheel, that's the only variable here.
XXX-T - Stock Truck
XXX4+g
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 09:14 AM   #17
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to y2kgtp Send a message via Yahoo to y2kgtp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddzilla View Post
Can anyone answer why they are all using gear diffs and not ball diffs?

I hope losi is next and I hope that it's essentially a stretched XXX-T CR.

If they make it, I will buy it.
Essentially this is a 1/8th scale sized vehicle, if you look at the dimensions.

So far it's just AE that has put a Gear Diff in a SCT, as that is all there is. Traxxas, is well....Traxxas.
Old 04-03-2009, 09:20 AM   #18
Suspended

Quote:
1/8 scale offroad is a completely different animal than a 1/10 scale truck.

The best comparison to the SCT trucks are the 1/10 stadium trucks they are based on. The wheels aren't significantly taller than a stadium truck wheel, that's the only variable here.
Have you compared the size of SCT tires? All the guys that run pinspikes use 1/8th buggie tires, not stadium truck tires which are smaller in diameter.

Like I said I don't know for sure and was just guessing, but baseing it the fact the balldiffs in my stadium trucks have always taken more of a beating than the ones in my buggies.

Otherwise I guess you're suggesting some great conspiracy theory or something??
Lightin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 09:20 AM   #19
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kgtp View Post
Essentially this is a 1/8th scale sized vehicle, if you look at the dimensions.
I realize that it's larger than a 1/10 scale, but that's mostly due to the huge body. I think that comparing it to a much bigger, much heavier, much beefier, 4wd 1/8 scacle is not a good comparison.

A good comparison is comparing it to the car that is is virtually identical to, except for a stretched chassis and a big body.
XXX-T - Stock Truck
XXX4+g
Old 04-03-2009, 09:22 AM   #20
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (96%+)

Ball diffs are used in 1/10th scale cars because they weigh less. 20 years ago when ball diffs hit the market people needed something light because lighter was faster since power was at a limit. Gear diffs are heavier, but they are more durable. Since people can over power these cars & don't have to worry about power they now want the durable solution that will keep up w/ their li//bl setup.
party_wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 09:22 AM   #21
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I am sure losi will release a 1/8th scale sc as well. All they need to do is use the truggy chassis with buggy arms. They already have all the elec conversion parts and they can release a nitro as well. Just their version of the SC8.
Old 04-03-2009, 09:29 AM   #22
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by party_wagon View Post
Ball diffs are used in 1/10th scale cars because they weigh less. 20 years ago when ball diffs hit the market people needed something light because lighter was faster since power was at a limit. Gear diffs are heavier, but they are more durable. Since people can over power these cars & don't have to worry about power they now want the durable solution that will keep up w/ their li//bl setup.
Not sure what you are comparing here, but Losi was the first to use a balldiff in a production car tranny and I seriously doubt it was any lighter than what else was on the market. More efficient overall tranny undoubtedly than the AE 6-gears that relied on the spur gear for it's diff action, but the Tamiya/Kyosho plastic gear diffs were just as light (but crap and blew up regularly).
I'm sure the new AE geardiff is a much better mousetrap, but only time will tell.
Old 04-03-2009, 09:32 AM   #23
Tech Elite

Here is a Slash next to a 1/8th buggy....about the same length and width, and same tire sizes...

Old 04-03-2009, 09:39 AM   #24
Suspended

x1

Yes-sir-ree, put a set of stadium truck tires on a SCT and it looks like those guys that stick itsy bitsy 13" rims on a low-rider.
Old 04-03-2009, 09:41 AM   #25
Tech Regular

Quote:
Here is a Slash next to a 1/8th buggy....about the same length and width, and same tire sizes...
They might be the same length and width, but they sure as heck aren't the same weight.

Also, having seen 1/8 scale tires on a slash, they sured looked a lot bigger than the stock slash tires.

Lastly, stating that a 1/10 scale SCT truck is more similar to a 1/8 scale 4wd than it is the VERY TRUCK IT'S BASED OFF OF, makes no sense to me.
XXX-T - Stock Truck
XXX4+g
Old 04-03-2009, 09:42 AM   #26
Suspended

The it has got to be something grassy-knoll based.
Old 04-03-2009, 09:56 AM   #27
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightin' View Post
The it has got to be something grassy-knoll based.
Haha, I didn't say it's a conspiracy mocky-mockerson.

So by me not agreeing that the SC10 is more similar to a completely different, much heavier, car than it is the exact same car wtih a longer chassis and a bigger body makes me a conspiracy theorist? Solid logic there!

I just said that your notion of a ball diff not being able to survive didn't make sense to me for the reasons you stated. The only way that would be true is if the durability of the ball diff in a T4 has basically no margain in it, so a slight increase in torque is all it needs for it to wear out quicker than they'd like. Who knows, maybe that is the case, but I doubt it. People run ridiculous brushless motors in T4s with no problems......so that would subject the diff to a lot more abuse than slightly larger tires. Not to mention the fact that the tires you can run on a T4 provide a lot more grip than the SCT tires, more grip = more stress on the drivetrain.

I am a mechanical engineer, I think I have a decent grasp of how mechanical systems function.

The only thing I could think of is that with a decent slipper clutch, and a relatively tight gear diff, you can still put down power out of corners like you can with a ball diff with increased durability. Essentially, they could have put a ball diff in it and made it live, but maybe the gear diff performed just as well and requires less maintenance.
XXX-T - Stock Truck
XXX4+g
Old 04-03-2009, 09:56 AM   #28
Tech Elite

Quote:
They might be the same length and width, but they sure as heck aren't the same weight.

Also, having seen 1/8 scale tires on a slash, they sured looked a lot bigger than the stock slash tires.

Lastly, stating that a 1/10 scale SCT truck is more similar to a 1/8 scale 4wd than it is the VERY TRUCK IT'S BASED OFF OF, makes no sense to me.

About 4lbs lighter or so. I see no reason why it could not use a Ball Diff.

I just was commenting on the physical size of the trucks themselves. when I think of 1/10th, I think of 2WD & 4WD Buggies and Stadium trucks. Put any of these next to a Slash or SC10, the "1/10th Scale" Slash\SC10 dwarfs the other car.
Old 04-03-2009, 09:58 AM   #29
Tech Regular

Quote:
About 4lbs lighter or so. I see no reason why it could not use a Ball Diff.
I agree with you, I see no reason why they couldn't use a ball diff, so I just wonder why they didn't.
XXX-T - Stock Truck
XXX4+g
Old 04-03-2009, 10:26 AM   #30
Suspended

Quote:
Haha, I didn't say it's a conspiracy mocky-mockerson.

So by me not agreeing that the SC10 is more similar to a completely different, much heavier, car than it is the exact same car wtih a longer chassis and a bigger body makes me a conspiracy theorist? Solid logic there!

I just said that your notion of a ball diff not being able to survive didn't make sense to me for the reasons you stated. The only way that would be true is if the durability of the ball diff in a T4 has basically no margain in it, so a slight increase in torque is all it needs for it to wear out quicker than they'd like. Who knows, maybe that is the case, but I doubt it. People run ridiculous brushless motors in T4s with no problems......so that would subject the diff to a lot more abuse than slightly larger tires. Not to mention the fact that the tires you can run on a T4 provide a lot more grip than the SCT tires, more grip = more stress on the drivetrain.

I am a mechanical engineer, I think I have a decent grasp of how mechanical systems function.

The only thing I could think of is that with a decent slipper clutch, and a relatively tight gear diff, you can still put down power out of corners like you can with a ball diff with increased durability. Essentially, they could have put a ball diff in it and made it live, but maybe the gear diff performed just as well and requires less maintenance.
I'm not trying to argue with you, and only mentioned the conspiracy theory stuff as a joke. But you were the one that seemed intent that it had to be something, and we tried suggesting possibilities by pointing out the obvious differences. At the same time it would have made more sense for AE to have just used their preexisting balldiff they already had in place in the T-4 instead of making up a completely new multi-piece part to replace it unless there was some alterior motive that was due to durability or wear and tear on the existing parts.

Maybe it has something to do with the fact that with so many people going brushless and all but locking down the slipper while running smaller spur gears that they've found it putting increased wear on the diff?? I don't know.

The balldiff is listed as an "option part" in my instruction sheet