Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Help Smoking battery In E-Eight

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2009, 07:42 AM
Tech Initiate

Default Help Smoking battery In E-Eight

Hi guys I have a E-Eight 2.0 and I had a Venon 8.4 nihm in the car and the motor would not run right and the battery started to smoke and the end started melting on it. Was this because the car was asking for to much power from it or did I hook up some thing wrong? Please help I do not want to ruin my new car. Thank you
Old 04-01-2009, 07:46 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by johnnyr135
Hi guys I have a E-Eight 2.0 and I had a Venon 8.4 nihm in the car and the motor would not run right and the battery started to smoke and the end started melting on it. Was this because the car was asking for to much power from it or did I hook up some thing wrong? Please help I do not want to ruin my new car. Thank you
http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...os-smoked.html

might want to check this out.
Old 04-01-2009, 07:48 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 97 (100%+)

Originally Posted by johnnyr135
you can't run Nimhs in a 1/8 buggy with any amount of power, and you need at least 14cells if you do.
Old 04-01-2009, 07:49 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I don't know the rest of your setup. So you are running 1 battery? More details please. It sounds like you need more juice.
Old 04-01-2009, 08:04 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

lipos only for 1/8 scale.... You need at least a 4s lipo.
Old 04-01-2009, 08:19 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

What motor do you have in the car? How long did it run before melt down?

Back in the day I ran nimh in my 1/8 car... before anyone was running lipos. I tried a 9 cell and 12 cell setup. 9 cells was pretty tame even on my 3000kv motor

The guys are right that the nimh are not as good as the lipos we have now, and it's not a surprise that you melted your nimh pack. Even in a perfect setup, they will be hot after a full run. But not smoking....

It's time to try lipos
Old 04-01-2009, 08:35 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

I don't think the Venom battery with tack welded metal strips knew what it was in for......
Old 04-01-2009, 08:54 AM
Suspended

Didn't this guy already ask about this? Before he was having studdering problems and everyone told him he wasn't running enough battery, and now he's insisting on doing it and smoking the pack. Same question, different version.
Old 04-01-2009, 09:09 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

johnnyr135,

I read your post the other day about your car clicking and hesitating and I felt it must be cogging. I asked what kind of battery, wires, and connector you were running. Now that we have the answer I can safely say that your hesitating (cogging) is caused by inferior batteries.

I hope your esc is okay. I am not for certain if it would cause damage but I know it is hard on them to underpower the system with as much load as a 1/8 buggy provides.

I hate to be the one to say it but you're going to have to spend some coin on a good battery. SMC5040SC is a darn good battery. Thunder Power is coming out with a super nice one. The zippy is inexpensive ($80) but is on backorder like crazy.

Anyways... I hope you get your buggy going. It's a really nice car!

Ben
Old 04-01-2009, 10:18 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Don't mean to pile on, but you picked a poor quality battery also, thats known for being disappointing. As Warpig said, you need to spend some money and get an adequate battery. Melting the batt is pretty classic symptom of having way too little battery for the job.
Old 04-01-2009, 06:32 PM
Dan
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Man, if this guy didn't follow instructions for the ESC, he'd better follow instructions for proper lipo care or he'll burn down his house!