R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 06-13-2005, 10:50 PM   #1441
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by runnin rc10
So this keeps the tires from furthing ballooning under accleration? That would mean more contact, in turn making more traction, or so I would think. But I may have this completely wrong. Does anyone have a pic of their tires with the holes? This is really interesting.
Exactly rc10... I 'll try and post a pic of mine.
Old 06-13-2005, 10:58 PM   #1442
Tech Master

Default tire

if you look at most of the monster truck tires they have holes in the rims should the buggies have holes in the rim instead of the tires??
Old 06-13-2005, 11:10 PM   #1443
Tech Adept

[IMG]mud[/IMG]

Minimum balooning even though my right front tyre is slightly unglued due to excessive mud.... Oh and it stayed on during a 35 minute main.
Attached Thumbnails
1/8 Offroad Buggy-buggy21110454.jpg  
Old 06-13-2005, 11:16 PM   #1444
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by kardoctor
if you look at most of the monster truck tires they have holes in the rims should the buggies have holes in the rim instead of the tires??
You can have holes in your rims too, no problem, but think of it simply. There is dirt or water accumulated inside your tyre. You nail the throttle.... Where does the dirt/water go??? Where does the air expand towards to??.... To the outside.... exactly....
Old 06-13-2005, 11:18 PM   #1445
Tech Adept

By the way, check out the new tyres that have arrived from Kyosho to the Greek importer for testing? We havent tried them yet. They are suppose to be for mud and for hard packed tracks... They have their own insert and are FUC$%^$ expensive.... like all kyosho tyres.

Kyosho slicks
Old 06-13-2005, 11:27 PM   #1446
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aantonis
[IMG]mud[/IMG]

Minimum balooning even though my right front tyre is slightly unglued due to excessive mud.... Oh and it stayed on during a 35 minute main.

It looks like your antenna broke off. But then again..looks like much fun!
runnin rc10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 11:44 PM   #1447
Tech Adept

At that time I was using cheepo antenna sticks from Team Magic. Then I bought the Kyosho black ones and I have still to break one. there were 4 in the plastic bag and I still have 3 brand new. I must have been running this stick for at least 4-5 months.
Old 06-13-2005, 11:48 PM   #1448
Tech Addict

I had one break on me too...drove me crazy. Do you guys always run in that much mud...or was it just a one time fun deal?
Old 06-13-2005, 11:59 PM   #1449
Tech Adept

No we usually drive on very dry, harsh tracks. This was a championship race and it could not be postponed. So we had to race no matter what. Of course the cars needed a new set of bearings after that... oh and new clutchbells, clutch shoes, clutch bearings..... and a new rod and bearings for the V Spec........ ok.... it costs quite a lot to race in mud... anyway... It is fun but I hate it.... Some friends apart from the above list had also destroyed servos and receivers.... I think there were only 3 or 4 of us who finished that race.
Old 06-14-2005, 09:08 AM   #1450
Tech Regular

Default Engines...

Hi Aantonis,

Noticed that you have used the Nova 421B, Sirio Kanai Evo2 and the OS V Spec.

Any comments on the engines especially the Nova 421B ? ( Is it the Turbo Version ? )

I'm thinking of getting another engine, had used the Nova 421B Turbo engine as my first engine but screwed it up due to improper air filter usage... Bad experience...

Thinking of either getting a Nova 421B Non-turbo type or an RB S7II or WS7II due to pricing ???

Just a point i noted, RB's produce buggy engines without any turbo plug or head, they seem to use or prefer the standard plugs... Any phenomena on this or just pure preferences ???

Thanks guys ! Appreciate the response on the buggy tire holes...!!!
Bad Mika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 09:46 AM   #1451
Tech Adept

Hi Bad Mika,

First of all, I must admit that I ve done this to at least 3 of my engines so far (Air filter misuse)
Well yes the 421B is the turbo head version. I have to admit that this engine is very powerful but it needs an expert's tuning in order to work correctly, with the turbo head. This engine can bog and die very easily on close parts of the track where you keep the rpm low. You need to nail the throttle really hard on every occassion you will find in order to clear it out. If you have a wide open track, I recommend it 100%. It will rev forever
The RB WS7 2 is a square type of engine, meaning that bore is almost equal to stroke and that gives both very good low and high end. I like this engine very much and I would rate it really high. This engine does very well in Europe and it is one very good all round engine that will get you out of most situations. Which is not the case with the 421B Turbo.

I really dont know much about the standard head 421 but I guess it should be much easier to tune.

RB probably prefers the standard plugs because it is something that has been tested and it works, Turbo plugs are something new, that still on some engines create problems. They d give of course an awesome high end but lack low end.
My new Sirio BK Evo2 is the first Turbo head I ve owned that has all the benefits of the turbo plug in high end whilst it has some excellent low end.
Seems like the Turbos are evolving.

You can also consider the 2 top Sirio engines which I have personally tested and they are awesome. After 4 Mains, 20 or so qualifiers, the engine is not yet completely broken in. It still has that brand-new-from-the-factory pinch.
The Sirio BK Evo 2 Green head and the Sirio BX Blue head.
Old 06-14-2005, 09:50 AM   #1452
Tech Adept

Oh... and about the OS... fantastic motor.... very good consumption (8 minutes or so and the engine working at 100 C)... great power. One thing only, I have been using it with Sidewinder Race 25% all the time but the engine lost compression after just 3 gallons. I ve taken good care of it.... but....
Old 06-14-2005, 06:24 PM   #1453
Tech Initiate

Default Aantonis - Thanks for the info

Aantonis - Thanks for your suggestions. I will give them a try and see how they work. You asked what our track was like. Last year it was set up with a few big jumps and a long whoops section, and late in the year it got so rough. That is when I changed to the real soft shocks so it would not throw the car around near as much. This year the track has only 3 jumps, and 2 of them are in a row after a corner, so they are not a fast jump but more of timing your speed and angle jump. The rest of the flat with a number of turns.
If I have the time to work on it, I will try to get the changes made for racing this Friday and let you know how they work. Thanks again for your suggestions.

Dave
DDBadger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 07:45 PM   #1454
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to v0rtex Send a message via AIM to v0rtex Send a message via MSN to v0rtex

Im looking to get into 1/8th off road as something a little different from what I race now, ep on road and ep off road.

Im having trouble deciding what buggy to get, my local store sells the HoBao range of buggies so thats the way i'm leaning. I get all my on-road gear there, hence all the Yokomo gear I own

Im wanting something I can do a little BMX track bashing with and perhaps racing if it ever starts up here - a mate I race onroad and offroad with also wants to get a 1/8th off road also so we may be able to get a track & some racing happening soon anyway

Should I not bother with the HoBao buggies, just go straight for a Mugen or Kyosho? I dont want to fork out masses of money to begin with either. I dont mind building a kit, i've built a few kits in my time (tamiya, xray, yokomo, ae).

Most racing requires a .21 right? Some RTR buggies have a .27 engine dont they? I dont want to get something and need to then buy an new engine once I decide to go racing.

Are the OFNA buggies the same as the HOBAO's, just re-badged? They look similar and are named the same.. the OFNA Hyper 7 PBS with the starter box included looks cool, i'd like to get the HoBao equivilent if there is one.

What is the durability of the HoBao's like? Of course nothing is un-breakable, but I dont want brittle Needs to stand up to some bashing and probly plenty of crashing

If anyone could offer any tips or steer me in the right direction i would be most greatful

Cheers,

James
Old 06-14-2005, 08:00 PM   #1455
Tech Addict

The OFNA's are the same I believe. And from what I can see the Hyper 7's are just as competitive as any buggy out there. If Im not mistaken it was TQ at last years worlds until it got DQ'ed for a fuel tank mistake.