R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 06-13-2005, 04:31 PM   #1426
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (95%+)
Send a message via AIM to W.E.D.Jim

I use TeamLosi glue on my 1/8th tires and they NEVER come unglued. I'll add that I also don't clean tire beads, or sand anything, with no trouble. I use the thin A-7881, works like a charm!
I stopped using motor spray to clean the tires when I noticed tires would sometimes tear at the sidewall edge, where they meet the wheel/rim, which I attributed to softening of the rubber with motor spray? It hasn't happend since I changed my method.

Holes in the wheel or tire are for air venting. The tire hole is the preffered method, so sand and water has chance of being expelled by the spinning tires/wheels. If no leather punch is available, then a wheel hole will also work, especially for one run, or hardpack tracks, where the tires aren't being used a half dozen times from your pit box.

The amount of holes and their size is a tuning method. larger holes, or more holes, mean faster compression and faster rebound, smaller or less holes, slower tire recovery(comp/reb). If the holes are large enough then the tire is only supported by the foam, so smaller holes can mask a too soft foam, if firmer is not available, etc. Think of it exactly as shock "pack" using pistons and oil, same principals........Jim
"Nothing but the best!"
W.E.D.Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 04:59 PM   #1427
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Ok hold on, Ive always ran holes in my wheels but never in my tires. And have never seen or heard of that. And I do race every single weekend and most of the time more than that. So please dont tell me that Im some basher who has no idea. And we run just as much motor as anyone else around here. Collari's, V-Specs, P5's and there are only a few that have this issue. No one has ever had a pre-mounted tire come un-glued. And most that use the Losi glue dont either. It only seeems to happen to one tire on the car and only at one track. And Id say its due to the layout and the amount of stress to that tire. If we dont roatate our tires here....we burn out treads within a few weekends on just one tire.
runnin rc10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 05:51 PM   #1428
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I think the real problem is the glue job.

The losi glue is incredible stuff definelty the best I've used by far when I cant find that thin super glue seems to work OK. This weekend my tires had to be reglued multiple times because they were glued with med glue which didnt glue the entire bead to the rim I guess because it doesnt wick into them like the thin glue does.

I have gotten in the habit of dremeling the bead of the tire to roughen it up and make it fit into the rim better friends of mine also dremel the rims but I havent gone that far yet.
Old 06-13-2005, 06:03 PM   #1429
Tech Addict

Ive learned that the first "round" of glue does not work sufficiently on the buggy's. After they are are done drying, you have to go back and find any spots you may have missed and be sure that ever part of the tire is glue to the rim. Its a lot longer and harder than any other tire Ive ever glued. Drives me insane.
Old 06-13-2005, 06:43 PM   #1430
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

I thought the 1/8 tires were the easiest tires I've ever glued compared to 1/10 truck tires. I used thin glue that takes a couple seconds to dry. I use a dremel and put either four 1/8 inch holes around the rim in the middle, or sometimes just two 1/4 inch diameter holes. I also rotate my tires to help the wear.
jbrow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 06:49 PM   #1431
Tech Initiate

Default Looking for Kania 3 Advice

I am looking for some advice on setting up a Kania 3. I had run a Kania for 2 years and this is my first with the Kania 3. I have my diffs set with the tcd in the front with the red diff oil, the center is 1000 and 3000 in the rear. The car is much better then my first one but I still have the rear end coming around on me a little if I get on the throtle without have the car straight. Once it is straight I can nail it and it is fine. Does anyone have any suggestions on set up.
Also, Last year our track was very rough with a lot of holes and dips. I went real soft on the shock oil so it would not throw the car around a lot. I had 25wt in the front with 20wt in the back. This year the layout is very fast and the track is being groomed each week so it is very flat. What would be a good selection for shock oil. They are watering the track between each round of qualifying. When it is wet the car is of course very good. But when it starts to dry there is a lot of loose dirt on the track and I am having a terrible time getting traction then.
Any ideas would be great.
Thanks
David
DDBadger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 09:06 PM   #1432
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by runnin rc10
Ok hold on, Ive always ran holes in my wheels but never in my tires. And have never seen or heard of that. .
Probably you ve never ran 1/8? I dont see any buggies in your avatar.
Holes in the wheels only?.... These are not Touring cars...

Quote:
And I do race every single weekend and most of the time more than that. So please dont tell me that Im some basher who has no idea.
I never said that you have no idea... I say clearly that you are not so well informed, unless you know better that the world's top drivers who always punch their tyres and not just their rims, of course.

Quote:
And we run just as much motor as anyone else around here. Collari's, V-Specs, P5's and there are only a few that have this issue. No one has ever had a pre-mounted tire come un-glued.
Good for you.
Old 06-13-2005, 09:13 PM   #1433
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDBadger
I am looking for some advice on setting up a Kania 3. I had run a Kania for 2 years and this is my first with the Kania 3. I have my diffs set with the tcd in the front with the red diff oil, the center is 1000 and 3000 in the rear. The car is much better then my first one but I still have the rear end coming around on me a little if I get on the throtle without have the car straight. Once it is straight I can nail it and it is fine. Does anyone have any suggestions on set up.
Also, Last year our track was very rough with a lot of holes and dips. I went real soft on the shock oil so it would not throw the car around a lot. I had 25wt in the front with 20wt in the back. This year the layout is very fast and the track is being groomed each week so it is very flat. What would be a good selection for shock oil. They are watering the track between each round of qualifying. When it is wet the car is of course very good. But when it starts to dry there is a lot of loose dirt on the track and I am having a terrible time getting traction then.
Any ideas would be great.
Thanks
David
Dear David,

My opinion is that you are running VERY VERY soft on those abs, and the center diff. Why dont you try the typical TCD front with red oil or black if the track has tight corners, 4000-5000 in the middle and 1000 in the rear. You can start from there. 1000 in the middle will never work....
For the shocks imagine that a typical starting point for the triple 7 is 60 up front and 35 rear.
The Kanai 3 didnt need such extremes but I would go to 50-55 front and 35-40 rear and see how this affects your driving. What tyres are you running? Are those just like the ones the fast lot is using? Are there any big jumps on the track?

You should read all about it in the Kyosho thread in starting grid...
Old 06-13-2005, 09:42 PM   #1434
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (95%+)
Send a message via AIM to W.E.D.Jim

I bought my first leather punch from RC Specialties, I think in 1991? RC Specialties was a company that was run by Cliff Lett back in the late 80's and early 90's, until he sold it to A/E. Not sure if they still sell the "Green Slime" though?..........I still have the hole punch and use it on my tires in 1/8th, 1/10th and any other rubber tire class, other then my JRX-S touring car tires.

I had not done this in my 1/8th tires, because I was afraid of tearing tires, etc. But once I saw Degani and Saxton do it, at a local race, I knew it would be ok to do....., Jim
"Nothing but the best!"
W.E.D.Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 09:49 PM   #1435
Tech Elite

So where on your buggy tires are you punching the holes? In the sidewall or in the middle of the tread? And what size hole? I've not seen it on 1/8 tires yet. Only some B4 tires with 1/4 inch holes in the sidewall.
Old 06-13-2005, 10:20 PM   #1436
Tech Addict

LOL I dunno what your problem is, but whatever. I just told you that Ive never seen or heard of it around here. I just honestly want to understand how this works. Like I said, no one Ive ever ran with in any off-road class has done this to my knowledge. How big are the holes? And what part of the tire are they made in? I think this would be a great tuning option and a chance to learn something new.

Last edited by runnin rc10; 06-13-2005 at 10:31 PM.
Old 06-13-2005, 10:36 PM   #1437
Tech Elite

So where on your buggy tires are you punching the holes? In the sidewall or in the middle of the tread? And what size hole? I've not seen it on 1/8 tires yet. Only some B4 tires with 1/4 inch holes in the sidewall.

Also wondering if there is any way to tell if your diff (any of the 3) is a standard diff or a tcd or whatever they are called? Without taking them apart. I'm assuming mine are all standard diffs as the guy I got it from told me they are all filled with silicone oil, none with grease.
Old 06-13-2005, 10:44 PM   #1438
Tech Adept

No problem at all rc10.... really. I am sorry for being silly.

Anyway you punch the tyres with the second or third from the thickest your leather puncher does, in the middle of the thread, one opposite the other. You only need two.
It helps keep the tyre run flatter (more contact with the ground), lets the insert do its job (otherwise the centrifugal (spelling?) force together with trapped air, turn it into a pointy donut shaped foam. Personally, when it rains, I have also noticed that if at some point water enters the tyre it dissipates (spelling again???) from those holes due to the centrifugal force (spelling AGAIN??? )

Try it and you ll see what I am talking about.

Please, this is for 1/8 buggy tyres, I don't know what happens in 1/10.

Cheers
Old 06-13-2005, 10:47 PM   #1439
Tech Addict

So this keeps the tires from furthing ballooning under accleration? That would mean more contact, in turn making more traction, or so I would think. But I may have this completely wrong. Does anyone have a pic of their tires with the holes? This is really interesting.
Old 06-13-2005, 10:50 PM   #1440
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrow1

Also wondering if there is any way to tell if your diff (any of the 3) is a standard diff or a tcd or whatever they are called? Without taking them apart. I'm assuming mine are all standard diffs as the guy I got it from told me they are all filled with silicone oil, none with grease.
Jbrow,

actually it is very difficult unless you have been using those diffs for a long time to understand by its feel whether a diff is a TCD or not and of course I would never advice you to try and hold one of your tyres while slamming on the gas.
It is best to take them apart... You will do that all the time from now on ...and it is a good for practice. You never know when it will be that in between two heats you ll need to change diff oils in order to correct your car.