R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 06-11-2005, 03:28 AM   #1411
Tech Regular

Default Buggy tires inserts...

Hi Buggyers,

Would appreciate if anyone has any recommendations on which buggy tire inserts is good and able to last a while ?

My current buggy tires inserts goes pretty soft after 1~2 session of practise...

Thanks !

Bad Mika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2005, 04:38 AM   #1412
Tech Adept

Could you please specify what you mean by 1-2 practice sessions? If you are talking about an hour, an hour and a half per session, then I would say they last a lot. My inserts are gone after a day at the track, I mean 3 qualifiers and a 45 minute main. If you are serious about racing and you ve reached the level that the insert softness makes a serious difference in your setting up, then be prepared to change them more often. By the way, one thing that should last longer than ordinary foam inserts should be the inserts from Panther tyres that were of an odd compound and also the ones from GRP Gandini tyres (or Fast or Arrows, same thing). The later is a synthetic type of foam that is also said to be waterproof.
Old 06-11-2005, 06:40 AM   #1413
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 77 (100%+)

Panther molded foam is what you're refering to. They outlast the tires them selves. Try them for fit before you glue them up. They are actually meant to be used in the Komodo dragon tires and they seem to fit the Pro-Line Crimefighter well too.
Davidka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2005, 07:04 AM   #1414
Tech Regular

Default Re : Buggy tire inserts...

My practise sessions are about 1/2 to an hour of run time...

Well i guess it's quite a pretty good mileage... just feel a bit wasted couldn't use those tires for practise sessions as the inserts have gone soft or crumble even though the tire treads are still there...

Thanks !
Old 06-12-2005, 10:04 PM   #1415
Tech Adept

You can always use these tyres for practicing, they are not just good for racing. It is always a good idea to keep those tyres with you and try them whenever you go to a new track or whenever the track condition changes. In that case you will see what works best and you will know what to buy new for the actual race.
Old 06-12-2005, 10:28 PM   #1416
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

You guys are blowing through foams to the point that you cant use them anymore? And on top of that, your doing it in 30 min? Ive never heard of that before. I have seen the same set of tires ran all year, and all kinds of different surfaces.
runnin rc10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2005, 10:43 PM   #1417
Tech Master

Red face TIRE

MY BIGGEST PROBLEM IS THEY COME UNGLUED AFTER ABOUT 2 DAYS OF RACING I RAN MY BUGGIE IN THE STREET FOR ABOUT 30 MINUTES TIRES WORN SLIGHTLY IN THE REAR MIDDLE AND FRONT OUTER EDGE BUT IN THE DIRT I SEEN NO WEAR JUST CON UNGLUED ANY IDEAS ON GLUEING THE TIRES ?? RIMS ARE MUGEN DISH RIMS
Old 06-12-2005, 11:05 PM   #1418
Tech Adept

I am 99% that your tyres come off the rims because you havent made holes to them with a hole puncher (like the one you 'd use for a hole in your belt). Make 2 holes in the middle of the tyre, one opposite of the other, and you re done. If your tyres are punched already then the fault is in the glueing process. Scuff your tyres with a thin sandpaper, where they contact the rims, make sure there aren't any beads from the manufacturing process and use a good medium glue like Team Losi's tyre glue. If you can find Losi's tyre gluing kit, that would be better cause it includes some nice wide rubber bands that aid a lot in the glueing process.
Old 06-12-2005, 11:07 PM   #1419
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by runnin rc10
You guys are blowing through foams to the point that you cant use them anymore? And on top of that, your doing it in 30 min? Ive never heard of that before. I have seen the same set of tires ran all year, and all kinds of different surfaces.
I am not saying that, It is just that I never run them in the main. I practice and I may run a qualifier or two with them, but I never use them again in a main.
Old 06-12-2005, 11:12 PM   #1420
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by kardoctor
MY BIGGEST PROBLEM IS THEY COME UNGLUED AFTER ABOUT 2 DAYS OF RACING I RAN MY BUGGIE IN THE STREET FOR ABOUT 30 MINUTES TIRES WORN SLIGHTLY IN THE REAR MIDDLE AND FRONT OUTER EDGE BUT IN THE DIRT I SEEN NO WEAR JUST CON UNGLUED ANY IDEAS ON GLUEING THE TIRES ?? RIMS ARE MUGEN DISH RIMS
By the way, seems like you are running correct camber in the back but in the front you need to dial some negative camber (The top of the tyre to lean towards the shock tower). This of course should be done after practicing in the dirt not on the street. Camber should be adjusted for optimal wear. You should always look for the tyre to wear in the middle. If it is not then you adjust your camber accordingly. Camber is something that each driver might run differently, and the end result can be the same. It is all a matter of driving style.
Old 06-12-2005, 11:37 PM   #1421
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I dont think the holes have to do with it. Guys at my track are having a serious problem with tires coming unglued. My solution...buy pre-glued tires. It works around here, because in this region, different foams arent required for 1/8 buggy.
runnin rc10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 12:49 AM   #1422
Tech Adept

Allow me to oppose to that. Holes are almost ALL there is to it. I am running to 2-3 races each month, and that translates to 3-4 sets of tyres each month, Preglued and regular. You may say, I know a thing or two about tyres. Whenever I forget to punch my tyres they come off within the first 5 minutes. One more consequence of that is that the air within the tyres has no where to go, so when you nail the throttle the tyre becomes like a balloon leaving minimum tread to grip on the surface.
Preglued tyres should be checked and reglued, if you want to be on the safe side. Of course if you are just bashing, then you wouldn't mind that. When we reply to those threads we suppose that we are talking to racers, that do mind.
Old 06-13-2005, 12:55 AM   #1423
Tech Adept

By the way, If someone is running a simple .21 pull start engine with his buggy, then yes, probably the tyres wont come off, even without holes.
If you try this with my almost 2.9 hp Turbo head Sirio EVO 2, it will tear them to pieces. (It has happened )
Old 06-13-2005, 06:50 AM   #1424
Tech Regular

Default Buggy tires... holes...

Talking on this subject, are there any difference between putting 2 and 4 holes on a tire ?

I guess 4 holes would make the tire more "punctured or flat" ... Wondering if anyone can share his experience with 2 or 4 or more holes done on a tire...
I'm doing the holes on the buggy tires using the belt puncture using the smallest size punctured holes...

Another thing, for those pre-glued tires, what tool do you guys use to make the holes since it's already glued ?

Appreciate anyone sharing... Thanks !
Old 06-13-2005, 07:47 AM   #1425
Tech Adept

I use the second from thickest. Dont be afraid to punch those holes big. They will be fine. For preglued, I use the same tool.