R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 03-22-2005, 01:47 AM   #1306
Tech Adept

Default Leaking diffs

Although I am a Kyosho guy and I dont know much about Mugens.. there is one thing I ve heard... that Mugens suffer from leaking diffs, not sure about the current crop of 5s but that what it used to happen. If I were you I would change the diff cases, o rings and outdrives so as to be on the safe side.

No wonder why the person who sold this to you sold it with empty diffs.
Old 03-22-2005, 04:23 AM   #1307
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by W.E.D.Jim
nitrous36, most of the better drivers race stadium 1/10th trucks, but 2wd isn't for every racer. 2wd trucks are a bit less forgiving to rough driving and mistakes and also require some throttle control, something alot of 1/8th scale racers prefer not to use, LOL.......If you are only bashing on your won, either will be fun, a 1/10th truck would be cheaper. If your club racing 1/8th is the hottest thing right now, since everyone can "feel" competitive and get away with aggressive driving(less broken parts, etc).

Be prepared though, the longer you race only 1/8th scale the more likely your driving is to deteriorate, since there is less need for throttle control...................Both are fun with the right group of racers on the track!........Jim
Funny, having raced quite a few different classes, some at national level, I've always felt that 1:8th Rally X is more demanding in most ways compared to 1:10th electric buggies.

If we put the differences between 2wd & 4wd aside for a moment, I've always felt that as 1:8th cars have a far greater power to weight ratio and consequently they require much more careful use of throttle. 1:8th's carry alot of speed/momentum and require careful use of brakes - brakes that tend to be far more agressive than the 1:10th FET equivelent. Combined with the fact that 1:8th buggies generally don't handle quite as well as their 1:10th counterparts, due to the fact that 1:8th cars are both heavier and have a higher CoG.

Electric cars, due to the torque characteristics of electric motors and the fact that they have direct drive (no clutch) have a more responsive initial acceleration, so on slippery tracks they can be quite demanding.

1:8th buggies can also be easier to drive on bumpy tracks, where smaller lighter 1:10th buggies can be a right handful due to the fact they get tossed about.

2wd 1:10th Stadium trucks are easier to drive than 2wd 1:10th buggies.
Horatio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005, 05:25 PM   #1308
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default forum jump

Sorry guys just trying to spread the word.

Rex p5 NIB $229
Rex 421 B turbo $269

I have pics in the for sale thread. Thanks

Last edited by tinbndr; 03-23-2005 at 09:38 AM.
tinbndr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005, 06:12 PM   #1309
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

I'll let ya know what I think is easier to drive when I get a few races on my 1/8. All I know is 4x4 gotta help in the turns, and acceleration. I've been told the speed of the 1/8's is decieving and easy to overshoot turns when going from or switching between 1/8 and 1/10 gas truck. I'll see for myself in the near future.
jbrow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005, 06:02 AM   #1310
Tech Elite

If you've raced Mod 2wd 1:10th electric buggies, you'll know all about car control.

The speed/momentum factor will take a little getting used too - 1:8ths are quite brutal and they carry alot of mass. Enjoy the brakes - they are usually much more agressive!

Personally I believe the skills are transferable either way, from class to class. However, perhaps the most crucial skill in 1:8th is getting used to fuel stop strategies and finals that can last anywhere upto 9 times longer than the electric classes. Don't let anyone fool you into thinking 1:8th Off road is less skillful than any other! You'll need nerves of steel........
Old 03-23-2005, 09:29 AM   #1311
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (95%+)
Send a message via AIM to W.E.D.Jim

Of course 1/8th is demanding if you want to compete with some of the best drivers, any class is demaning with good competition, even oval which is often overlooked and considered easy. But most racers don't stop to think about the fact that the "easier" something is, the more each mistake will cost you!

In 1/8th buggy, you can get away with a TON of mistakes. I've watched guys blowing turns and staying punched on a majority of the track keeping up with top drivers for a lap or two, but eventually they crash and become traffic.

In electric, you won't see someone without good skills keeping up with the top drivers, since the differences in ability are MUCH more apparent when throttle control and vehicle control are more important.

If people didn't feel like 1/8th scale was easier and they had more of a chance to win they wouldn't all be running it............Maybe that is why 1/8th is my favorits class, LOL, but i'll never stop running my electric cars, I think they help me maintain my reflexes for R/C much better then 1/8th......jmho, Jim
"Nothing but the best!"
W.E.D.Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005, 10:15 AM   #1312
Tech Elite

Competition is competition - chances are if someone is better than you at one class of offroad, they'll more than likely be better than you at another too. It's not always the case, but I'm generalising somewhat.

As to 1/8th being easier than 1/10th - I just don't see it. Different, yes - easier, no. Alot of it depends on the track, too. You can have tracks where a 1/10th simply wouldn't be able to get around. You can have, smooth tight tracks where 1/10th buggies can easily get around where 1/8th's would be very slow.

Another thing of course is that some people just have a natural inclination towards one type of racing over another - it's a very personal thing. For me, I prefer off road from a driving point of view, but from a competition point of view TC is probably the most challenging.

I've seen National champion 1/10th drivers trying their hand at 1/8th and struggling to get into the B's. Clearly, the classes you're used to racing in has something to do with it too.

The popularity of 1/8th Buggies over the past 12 months is more to do with the appeal of more power, longer runtimes and the ability to catch huge air compared to the electric counterparts. That and the fact that modern Nitro engines are far easier to start and tune than they used to be.

From what I see, if you make mistakes you lose time - regardless of what class you run in. With nitro of course, you also run the risk of a costly engine cut.

Regards

Horatio

Last edited by Horatio; 03-23-2005 at 10:24 AM.
Old 03-23-2005, 11:38 AM   #1313
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Tabushi Send a message via Yahoo to Tabushi

Quote:
Originally posted by nitrous36
I have been considering a 1/8 scale buggy and was wondering the pros and coons. When it comes to offroad I run trucks but I hear buggies are alot more durable.

Wow, i like this kind of debate ... now, here is MY PERSONAL OPINION.

Im a RC Airplane pilot for about 8 years and RC Car driver for 5 years ..., im a big fan of 1/10th 200mm nitro touring car racing ... and i had the chance to test myself as a pilot in 190mm electric touring, 1/8th offroad and 1/10th offroad and WOW ... my conclusions about the experience are :

1.- Im not a good electric driver, i think that even when in 200mm nitro you have to get good fingers to throttle control, in electric racing its like constantly messing with the throttle and after one entire weekend of practice i decide not to going on electric racing at least for now ...

2.- 1/10th offroad truck racing ... what a joyful experience !!! ... i think its a hard class when you want to drive between the first 3-4 drivers on the race but got a lot of fun learining how to control the truck, make good quality turns and all ... its challenging but even when i did the last place on the race, i ended very tired and with a good adrelnaline rush for the rest of the weekend jejejeje ...

3.- 1/8th offroad racing ... well ... i know that each arm of our hobby have specials skills, but at least, after one full weekend of practice and participating on a race at the next one, i dit not made a bad appeareance on the track !! ... the buggyies are more in control, you dont always need to jump high to be on top of high speed drivers and the model forgive a lot of things that on electric touring, nitro touring or even on 1/10th offroad truck would make you pass a curve, miss a good spot to pass other driver, etc.

I know my english os not as good, but hope you understood this text ...

For now, im still in 200mm racing and maybe on a couple of months i will be buying a 1/8th buggy ...

E-Mail : [email protected]
Facebook : http://www.facebook.com/patoconcha
Whatsapp : +56 9 66165085
Tabushi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005, 03:04 PM   #1314
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

To clarify my earlier posts, I don't believe either or any class is easier than the other. Some are easier for me, but well that's b/c of practice and my setup skills are better in some. I've never even drivin an 1/8 yet, but will be racing one soon. So all I was trying to say is the 4wd should help out.

As stated above, if someone is better than you at one class, and a well rounded racer, they will probably be better at the next one to. I believe and see that all the time.

Heck any nitro class in itself is a whole nother ball game than electric. You have to be a decent mechanic to make sure your stuff will run, stay running, and stay together. That's whats the fun of it for me. I love that part of it. I take my motors apart way more than I need to just b/c it's half the fun for me.

Someone mention oval above??... I don't think oval gets the respect it deserves by offroad racers. I know I used to think nothing of it, and couldn't see why anyone did it. Then I got to do some elec oval racing on a smaller carpet track. Wow!! Tell ya what, there's one heck of a differance trying to concentrate on say 10-13 laps in a qualifier, than say the 50-60 laps you're getting in oval! Same with 1/12 roadcourse. These classes will show you big time what running a line is all about, and how much time you lose and how quickly by making a mistake. I think both will have helped me when the dirt season comes around. Total concentration for that many laps was something new to me. I'm glad I got into it.
jbrow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 04:14 AM   #1315
Tech Adept

Default nitro trucks

if you think 2wd mod is hard try driving a nitri truck man know that is hard masses of power, only two drive wheels and a very light front end makes for some challenges behind the wheel
KIMCOM RACING Driver #1
RC8B : REEDY 121 : Nitro-X fuel : Spektrum Radios
gkp5569 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 04:15 AM   #1316
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by jbrow1
To clarify my earlier posts, I don't believe either or any class is easier than the other. Some are easier for me, but well that's b/c of practice and my setup skills are better in some. I've never even drivin an 1/8 yet, but will be racing one soon. So all I was trying to say is the 4wd should help out.

As stated above, if someone is better than you at one class, and a well rounded racer, they will probably be better at the next one to. I believe and see that all the time.

Heck any nitro class in itself is a whole nother ball game than electric. You have to be a decent mechanic to make sure your stuff will run, stay running, and stay together. That's whats the fun of it for me. I love that part of it. I take my motors apart way more than I need to just b/c it's half the fun for me.

Someone mention oval above??... I don't think oval gets the respect it deserves by offroad racers. I know I used to think nothing of it, and couldn't see why anyone did it. Then I got to do some elec oval racing on a smaller carpet track. Wow!! Tell ya what, there's one heck of a differance trying to concentrate on say 10-13 laps in a qualifier, than say the 50-60 laps you're getting in oval! Same with 1/12 roadcourse. These classes will show you big time what running a line is all about, and how much time you lose and how quickly by making a mistake. I think both will have helped me when the dirt season comes around. Total concentration for that many laps was something new to me. I'm glad I got into it.
It will be interesting to see what you think of 1/8th off road.

Just as you say, certain classes teach you the discipline of staying on the racing line. 1/12 certainly gives your reflexes a workout. Being good at these classes of racing should bode well for off road racing potential. I firmly beleive that racing skills - or racecraft - are transferable between the different classes.
Old 03-24-2005, 07:26 AM   #1317
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I have always felt that each class has its own advantages and disadvanteges when going from one class to another. by far the most reflex improving class is 1/12 road course, especially on a smaller track (we run 1/12 stock on a micro sized track, 4-5 second laps) and you could follow a racer for 5 laps waiting to set-up a pass. THat teaches you patiance. I never ran gas truck until last year and it helped even more with other classes (for the reason of to much power and not enough traction) as well as jumping Same thing goes with 2wd mod buggy.
If you take all of those ideas learned and apply them to 1/8 buggy, you will be one Bad A$$ driver. the traction (or lack there of) of gas truck, reflexes, lines, and patience of 1/12 scale are the best things you can carry over IMHO. If you drive a big buggy like a 1/12 scale easy o n the throttle, follow lines you will have great lap times. Now I just need to practice what I preach and I will be good to go...lol. Remember if you start to get out of control, go race 1/12 scale or gas truck one weekend and you will be back up top in no time.
beidle99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2005, 10:01 PM   #1318
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally posted by OvalEvader
There is atleast 200 accounts of faulty bearings on the OS engine thread on the grid...you should check it out.
Can you show me the o.s. engine thread is?
.21t-maxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2005, 10:55 PM   #1319
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to cmain

offroad
http://www.rc-racing.com/cgi-bin/bac...?conf=offroad7

os thread
http://www.rc-racing.com/cgi-bin/bac...howforgotten=2
cmain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2005, 11:51 PM   #1320
Regional Moderator

I noticed that most 1/8 buggies are electronicly started. Is that better or more preferred for buggies? I was looking for one with a pull starter and there doesnt seem to be many. Are most shaft started? 2 out of 3 of the nitro cars I have are electric start. I dont want another one I want another pull start engine because yeah electric starters are convient but no one likes having to carry around a bulky starter, worried about keeping it charged and worrying about it dieing on you while starting your engine. Pull starters are painstaking but electric starters can be just as pain staking to work with too. Two of the buggies I have narrowed my option down to are shaft started. One of them offers it as an option. What do you prefer and which starter is better for buggies?
nitrous36 is offline   Reply With Quote