R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 01-21-2004, 02:26 PM   #106
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

i had a picco 0-1 comp engine before the p5 and it seemed like a really good engine

it was pretty easy to tune and had good compression after a couple gallons

my os engine lost compression very quickly also
Old 01-21-2004, 02:54 PM   #107
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by dameetz
Thanks guys! I made up my mind now its going to be MBX5. Now engine choices, I know many of you guys will prefer the P5 but my LHS only sells OS VZB and Picco XP G1. I read the RC nitro mag bout the OS and they claim that it has lots of power but I also read it somewhere that the VZB has problem, it looses its compression quickly not even a gallon thru it. Now has anybody got experience with picco engine?
I run the OS VZB and I have not had any problems, the problems that I have seen is that racers do not properly breakin their engine or not using the right air cleaner for that engine, If you use the one that OS supplys you, you should be fine. I have seen a torn down VZB after someone said that it lost compresion and it was due to dirt and particles in the engine. I have ran 2 gallons through my engine and no problem, it comes down to proper maintenince. Remember 2 gallons is alot of nitro fuel to put through a engine. I do a full rebuild after one gallon but I race.
gijoe64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2004, 10:15 PM   #108
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

A lot of guys running the VZB are experiencing premature wear and bearing failures. Even Greg Degani says the engine is a POS and the V01 is better. If you want to gamble with $300 then go for it, but my suggestion would be a P5 or the Picco. The WS7II is good also.
rcgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2004, 12:37 AM   #109
Tech Regular

Send a message via AIM to BOWTIE1 Send a message via Yahoo to BOWTIE1

yea i would asy also get the p5 or the rb ws7 ll
BOWTIE1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2004, 08:10 AM   #110
Tech Elite

I ended up buying the MBX5 with Picco and my friend's used MP6. MBX is for race and MP6 just to bash around, I just couldn't resist my friend's offer, he is even giving me a new piston/sleeve and conrod for the SB.My LHS still got lots of spares for it as well. So I think at the moment I just want bash around with my MP6, just to get the feel of 1/8 buggy before the racing season start here around March. As I m rebuilding the MP6 right now I d like to ask question about Diff and shocks oil. Whats the original weight of the oil for MP6 and what weight do you guys prefer?
Old 01-22-2004, 09:52 AM   #111
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by dameetz
I ended up buying the MBX5 with Picco and my friend's used MP6. MBX is for race and MP6 just to bash around, I just couldn't resist my friend's offer, he is even giving me a new piston/sleeve and conrod for the SB.My LHS still got lots of spares for it as well. So I think at the moment I just want bash around with my MP6, just to get the feel of 1/8 buggy before the racing season start here around March. As I m rebuilding the MP6 right now I d like to ask question about Diff and shocks oil. Whats the original weight of the oil for MP6 and what weight do you guys prefer?
check out chad bradley's setup on the mugen website. when i first got my mbx5, everyone (almost everyone) that i talked to started with his setup as a baseline, and then tweaked it to their style. right now, i'm almost identical to his setup except for i moved the rear shock tower out one hole - to plant the rear end; and i put the rear wheelbase in the middle - made it more stable. these changes took out a little bit of steering, but i really didn't miss it. for the way i drive, it made the car more compliant.

initially, his setup has alot of steering and quick laterally - almost to the point of being twitchy. if you jump on the gas too quick coming out of a turn, it'll want to oversteer - not bad, just have to adjust your driving style.

as for diff oil : 5,000 front, 7,000 middle, 2000 rear (mix 1,000 & 3,000 50/50 - it won't be exact, but close, or you can get kyosho 2,000. oh yeah and most importantly, w/o the rubber o rings. look in your manual, you'll see what i'm talking about.

anyway, i've had my mbx5 for about month now, and i've tweaked it slightly from chad bradley's set-up. still have a ways to go before i can consider it "fast". however, i'm really liking it - it drives like my touring car...almost
DickemDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2004, 10:44 AM   #112
Tech Elite

what's the effect of putting a heavier oil in the center diff?
highwayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2004, 09:15 AM   #113
Tech Elite

i may be wrong but i think heavier center oil makes the buggy feel more front wheel drive and more stable

i use 3k 5k 1k in my mbx5 but i also left the o-rings in the front and center

diff oil is something i should start experimenting with but i havent so far because i was already happy with its handling and kinda scared i wouldnt like it as much
Old 01-23-2004, 10:05 AM   #114
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)

Ptp racing, Is that the 2004 schedule on pasadena offroad?
Old 01-23-2004, 11:22 AM   #115
Tech Elite

Heavier oil in the center will make the car feel more "punchy". On a slick track it can make the car harder to drive. Usually you run heavy oil (10k) for high bite tracks and lighter oil (5k) for loose tracks. 7k is what most run.
Old 01-23-2004, 11:50 AM   #116
Tech Elite

KC go to pasadena-offroad.com

they are running every other weekend

i think the off weeks at pasadena are scheduled at DRCW and maybe some at hobbyhut

i cant travel a whole lot so i will probably only travel to the big races
Old 01-23-2004, 11:52 AM   #117
Tech Elite

thanks for the correct answer rcgod could you also explain what characteristics are altered by changing the front and center

i guess that explains why i liked the 5k more than 7k
Old 01-23-2004, 06:37 PM   #118
Tech Elite

Lighter in the front will give more off power steering, less on power steering. Lighter in the rear will give more off power steering, less on power steering.
Old 01-23-2004, 07:11 PM   #119
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)

Jason, thats cool, It will also be hard for me to go to all the events, My girlfriend and I just and our baby yesterday, So mimi's is out for me for a little while, not that I have been this year anyway. I'll just be glad when buggy starts back up
Old 01-24-2004, 07:58 AM   #120
Tech Elite

thanks again rcgod after what ive learned now about diff setup i realize why i like my diffs set that way and have decided for the time being at least to stick with what ive got 3k 5k 1k

congradulations KC i wonder if you are actually going to make any of pasadenas races or if your just faking especially now youve got all them young-ins