R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 01-24-2005, 12:11 AM   #1111
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to OvalEvader

I heart ebay...as long as your willing to dish out the dough for more parts than you need (extras?)
OvalEvader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005, 04:04 AM   #1112
Tech Initiate

The XB8 is expensive even those odd few that pop up on Ebay are going for close to some car new prices. A friend has one and you have ot admit its a lovely looking car.

I don't want to get an RR and although my club is mostly Hyper 7s I'd like something different.

Without getting into a Mugen/Kyosho/etc... war, would a Kanai 2 be a reasonable 2nd hand buy to get started in 1/8?
ScoobyDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005, 05:53 AM   #1113
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (95%+)
Send a message via AIM to W.E.D.Jim

On the prices of the X1 parts, yes, some are ridiculous(chassis and body really), but 90% of the items listed for price comparison come with the car and will never need replacement.....The only thing in the lists i've seen posted i'd ever use are the tank and wing.

All of the websites I visited have parts at a discount, for almost all brands, not only Nitrohouse......I wonder if TTR parts will also recieve a discount and if they have enough margin for it?

The steering knuckles use a pass thru king pin bolt and nylon lock nut that are replaced seperately, the knuckle is not threaded. I've NEVER replaced a chassis on a car, etc.

I do know the TTR stuff is alot cheaper, to maintain, which is a good thing for those looking to get into a 1/8th race level car. But since it doesn't have the hop-up parts included, it will still cost more or as much money initially to get to the same level as a Prospec or X1.

Bottom line is they are all good cars, pick one, then if you biuld and maintain it correctly, have no engine troubles and your tires stay glued on the rims, all you'll need to do is drive your arse off to win some races.......................They are all expensive, they are all good, they are all 1/8th scale, NONE of them are "Cheap"......Jim....
W.E.D.Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005, 10:11 AM   #1114
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)
Default Well put Jim

If you are still crashing 10 times a qual and flaming out or landing upside down on the triples it does'nt matter what car you have. I think most racers will agree that all these 1/8th scale cars are close in performance. Just pick one you think looks cool and go with it. The subtle differences between the cars most racers will never notice. If you look at almost all the cars the pivot points are very close to each other. Drive trains are almost identical. Thats why set up sheets from brand to brand start looking close. The Jammin set up and Kyosho set up sheets are close. Not to mention Jay Halsey said he designed his car based on a K3.
TonyWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005, 11:28 AM   #1115
Tech Initiate

I've seen first hand how a big budget doesn't mean first place. There was a shake down test at our local track recently and one guy with a 2nd hand hyper 7 was running with a brand new XB8 with brand new internals and the hyper just kicked butt so spending big bucks on your setup isn't always the wisest idea.

Just more concerned about buying a 2nd hand car like a Kanai 2.
ScoobyDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005, 05:16 PM   #1116
Tech Elite

you dont have to buy a 2nd hand kanai 2 they are still available from places like ultimatehobbies.com for $430

the prices are all close in all the cars and the differences are subtle between them in fact the only one showing any real originality is the TTR at least IMO

I know I'm really happy with my kyosho alot happier than I was with my mugen and I know its not normally the case but I actually spent less on the K2
Old 01-24-2005, 06:20 PM   #1117
Tech Elite

Ya, there are plenty of parts still available for the K2, K3, etc. They are very good cars, easy to drive, almost to a fault, being accused of "pushing", since they are very well planted in back...This actually will help newer drivers(veterans too, but they'll likely not admit it, LOL), but not as much as racing 2wd first would........

I say this because I know alot of fast 2w Modified guys can wheel the heck out of a 1/8th buggy, but have yet to see an 1/8th scale only guy who looked like he would have a chance in 2w modified.......

1/8th scale seems to reward overdriving and excess power and wheel spin, so I always try and convince people to try learning on an electric buggy or truck first.

Just a thought, rarely works as evidenced by most 1/8th scale races, LOL.......Jim
Old 01-24-2005, 06:44 PM   #1118
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I was into buggies before I got a 1/8th scale. In fact I was into buggies as my first rc's. learning on a buggy or truck as he just said is best and since the buggy is least forgiving it can make a driver out of you for learning to drive anything else.
Once I went into on road my car of chioce was 12th scale stock then mod. Learning what I got from 12th scale made me realize the trigger is variable for a reason much like in buggy. The two classes compliment each other and IMHO the 12th scale mod and mod two wheel buggy can teach a driver quick response and precision as well as how to drive a car with patience and a linear finger for throttle. Master those and you would be a formidable driver for a four wheel buggy.
Old 01-25-2005, 12:19 AM   #1119
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Hi guys,

I have a MP777 Special 1 for sale at USD$320, been to 3 race outings but did not run in any of the finals. Interested patries please contact me via PM.
Old 01-26-2005, 07:36 PM   #1120
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)

joewhee pm'ed
stipres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2005, 11:03 AM   #1121
Tech Elite

Jay Halsey didn't base the X1 off of the K3. He compared his project cars to what was on the market and tried to improve in the areas he felt the car would need to be better. There was emphasis on making his car better than the K3 because that was the king of the 1/8th scale world at the time.

wyd - OFNA is working on cheaper chassis and bodies for the X-1. I'm not sure the reason for the excessive cost but I know it has to do with shipping and where the parts come from.

Jim - Amen!
Old 01-27-2005, 07:00 PM   #1122
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)
Default The Jammin Car

Halsey was quoted in RC Car Action as saying that the car he most looked at when designing his car was the K Car. He was later quoted in the same article as saying the reason he most (copied, altered, improved on, whatever you want to say here) choose the K car was because at every race he goes to whether local or large a Kyosho always some how miraculously wins the main.
TonyWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2005, 08:21 PM   #1123
Tech Elite

Tony, for the most part what I got from the article was that Halsey and the rest of the design team held the Kyosho's as the benchmark. They also ran and tested other designs, even testing several versions of their protoype buggy itself. The X1 is the final product, which obviously has alot of Kyosho influence, as does about 95% of all brands, Mugen being the only one who uses any parts that are substantially different.

Since the Mugen won the worlds everyone all of a sudden says Mugen is the best since it's world champion, which is odd, since the Tq and fastest times were all put in by a Hyper 7/ho Bao driver who was Dqed for a .5cc fuel violation. Yet, that car isn't taken too seriously, which is where the X1 comes in..........In 1/8th scale it seems more like the winner is the fastest "finisher", not always just the fastest.
This is where I think Halsey got the fact that some obscure racer always does very well with a Kyosho car at races he attends. Kyoshos are easy to get working well, since alot of drivers are running them, plus they have been well sorted out, so they finish alot of races..............Sounds like a good car........Just like about a half dozen other potential world champion cars.........imo, Jim
Old 01-27-2005, 09:38 PM   #1124
Tech Adept

Send a message via AIM to OvalEvader

The reason Aigon did what he did with the hyper 7 was because of his amazing skill on that style of track, not because of the particular car he was driving. The same could be said for Vray, Pavidis, Tebo, etc. IMO, there is a field of 10 or so drivers that are in contention on any given day to win a race, no matter what car they drive.
OvalEvader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2005, 02:41 AM   #1125
Tech Elite

There was a lot to Aigoin's amazing domination of the Worlds..there was no one close.