Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 01-19-2005, 08:42 AM   #1081
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to GregH

Tony, he's a 50% driver with TTR now.
GregH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 01:35 PM   #1082
Tech Initiate

Can I get some opinions on the MBX4 XR. A friend has one for sale and our club has just started running a rallycross series. Don't want to spend loads initially in case its not for me. I'll only be running at club and a bit of bashing so I don't want to go out and spend loads straight away.

All info really appreciated.

edit - also offered Kanai 1. Equal spec or is one better than the other?

Last edited by ScoobyDriver; 01-19-2005 at 02:11 PM.
ScoobyDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 02:27 PM   #1083
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)
Default Greg his tag line still says Ofna

There are some rumors going around that the car was not good at Hemet last week.

Is that what you are going to be running this season.

You know everyone always wants to say that K stuff is pricey. Even I was buying into it, I found the new Jammin car for $400 but then I went to look at the hop up parts and replacement parts and they were more than Kyosho stuff. Mugen, Ofna, Jammin are no cheaper. And the X-ray, and TTR still cost almost the same thing to buy new.

Bottom line if you want a decent car and save some money get a used MBX-5, Kanai series car or even an ofna. You can get those in good shape on ebay for $300 all day long. Alot of the time these cars already have hop ups with them.

Not to sound discouraging but it will cost you atleast $300 for a buggy that will get around the track and stay together.
TonyWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 03:49 PM   #1084
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I personally think you'd be a lot happier with a newer model of car.. the MBX5 is a lot of bang for your buck.. the TTR is also a lot of bang for your buck.. the hyper ofna cars also.. you can find used deals you can't beat.. search ebay.. etc
warpig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 05:31 PM   #1085
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

we've seen them all and frankly I'm not impressed

mbx4xr would be hard to get parts for and doesnt handle bumpy conditions well I would go with the kanai since parts were interchangable between all 3 versions and I think its a better performer

and for anyone who is thinking I'm a completely biased kyosho driver (well I am now) I used to be a big mugen fan and just happen to be converted after actually trying the kanai for myself after having the mbx4xr and mbx5
Old 01-19-2005, 05:51 PM   #1086
Tech Elite

chaching.. $$kyosho$$
Old 01-19-2005, 06:02 PM   #1087
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

some people say "pay a little more now or pay alot more later"

some others say "you get what you pay for"
Old 01-22-2005, 01:59 AM   #1088
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

I noticed that on the RTR MP7.5 it doesn't have shock boots, but the Kanai Editions do, so does it matter if you have a little tear in them and don't fix them straight away?

Cheers
Drift_Buggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2005, 12:13 PM   #1089
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (95%+)
Send a message via AIM to W.E.D.Jim

I've tried them all, Crono, Kyosho, Ofna, Mugen, so far it seems as though the least expensive are the ofna cars, the most are kyosho. When a $700 kit comes with phillips screws and stamped towers, ballcup style chassis braces and only one weight of diff oil, if any at all, it's expensive.

I just raced a Jammin X1 for the first time last weekend and the car handled very, very well. I had an issue with a couple glow plugs that kept me from finishing my qualifiers, but I could feel the car had potential. Maybe not the best car in the world, but for $500, with CNC steering knuckles, chassis braces, milled chassis, turnbuckles, CNC arm mounts, pre trimmed body(which is way too expensive to replace though), Hard anodized fuel filter, universals, allen head bolts thru out the kit and even usable racing tires from Jammin'.......Seems like a good deal.

We had over $950 in the rolling chassis of our 777 Special 1 to get it to the same specs. Towers, braces, screw kit, knuckles, Filter, etc.

After the X1, The Prospec MBX5 is the next best deal, imo, then the XB8.

IMO, none will MAKE you a world champion, but one will leave money for a good engine and some tires, etc...............Jim
W.E.D.Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2005, 02:56 PM   #1090

Default 1/8 BUGGY

i'm thinking of getting ether the 1/8 kyosho inferno mp-7.5 sports rtr or the ofna 1/8 hyper7 buggy rtr can anyone give me some input on what one is better and why and what hop-ups would you suggest right away?
RUSH EVO 714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2005, 03:22 PM   #1091
Tech Master

i just bought a hyper 7 its aswum hasen't brocken anything and the engine has run excellent.
Wynnum_Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2005, 03:33 PM   #1092
Tech Elite

as far as RTR the hyper is the shiz.. no doubt.. but the TTR S3 may be coming out with an RTR.. that would be the new shiz..
Old 01-22-2005, 06:10 PM   #1093
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (95%+)
Send a message via AIM to W.E.D.Jim

RUSH EVO, if you going to worry about hop-ups, i'd stay away from the RTR stuff. Since to add hop-ups you'll be dissassembling everything to add them, you do have some mechanical ability. Also, the RTR's take away all the hop-ups to have you pay for assembly a cheapo engine(usually)and a silk screened body. While they are convenient, and quicker to get on the track(or field), buying a RTR and then "hopping it up" will be WAAAAAYYYYY more money.

Things like turnbuckles, hardened diff gears, universals, tires, splash guards, better brakes, beefier shocks and shock shafts are the main differences from a RTR and a good kit.............

Now, if the included items are good enough for your purpose, as well as the RTR engine, tires, etc., then a RTR is the way to go until you figure out if all this racing and hop up stuff will be long term........Jim
W.E.D.Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2005, 06:45 PM   #1094
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Tony west I have the Jammin and X5 and the parts for the Jammin are way less. Example: four lower arms $10.95, shock rebuild kit $5.00, shock shafts $5.00 fuel tank $10.00. Check Nitrohouse for parts list and prices. OVERPRICED is why I won't own a Kyosho.
the buggyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2005, 12:59 AM   #1095
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Call it a semi biased opinion since I run the XB8 but it honestly has been a treat to build and drive. Yes it is a bit pricey but as someone said "you get what you pay for" and it is true. The TTR S3 seems to be almost the same price as the XB8 but it does not come with all the trick red anodized aluminum goodies you see in the pics. I hear it comes with stamped aluminum parts instead with all those eye candies as options to buy. The Xray comes with every hop up currently available. Shock towers are nicely milled, chassis too, shocks come with 6 different pistons per shock for tuning, every pin location is adjustable on the car right out of the box meaning no buying another front or rear arm holder to change a toe in or roll center cuz you can do it with the supplied parts. No E clips on the car meaning less chance of a failure if you're like me loosing clips. Also the car ready to race minus fuel is light. Mine weighs in at a not so hefty 7lbs. 9oz. dry (everything in the car including body, personal transponder, radio gear and engine.)
A good rtr tho would be the Hyper PCR?