R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 01-08-2004, 12:56 PM   #76
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to rod_b

wagnerov - Good luck with the car. A guy had bought one and brought it into my local shop and I got a chance to look at it. It looks very promising. Considering the price and what you get with it, it's really a steal. Time will tell with a new product and the goal for a new company should be to address problems quickly to keep the owners satisfied, progress the product and attract new customers. I'm personally anxious to see how it runs.

uDi - It's not every company's goal to invent something revolutionary. It is, however, every company's goal to exist profitably for a long period of time. Just because the Swift doesn't bring anything new to the table doesn't mean it's not worth looking at. As a matter of fact, it's a matter of perspective. Power Racing may not bring innovation in something you can see cosmetically or feel in performance. But they do offer something many companies have lost site of in the search for the almight dollar...a good value. If the buggy is race quality, and you get an Airtronics MX3 radio then it's all good. Power Racing can have their customer base and hope to grow it and eventually put themselves into a position where they can afford to do expensive R&D.

Finally, I think everyone on the board has pretty much had it with the "It looks like a [enter some other vehicle name here]" thing. Who cares?! Do these same people see a new car and say it looks like a Ford because the model T was the first?! Is every new doll a copy of Barbie?! When they buy toothpaste, do they exclude the ones that may look like Crest? Where does it end!? Is it the grade school thing where you can't have shoes that look like Nikes but aren't so they suck? Oh well, I guess these are just the games kids play.
rod_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2004, 08:02 AM   #77
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally posted by uDi_MP7.5
Cheers guys, this thread's topic has swayed and strayed. Read the original post, and I believe the guy ended up picking up a buggy anyway. My bad for saying "the swift is an X5 copy" which started this debate. I was actually trying to help out in the post I said that. I stick with what I said, but push it no longer - agree or disagree as you will.

i think the topic hasn't strayed off-course and thank you... all of you have such valid points.

i will be getting the SWIFT.... but... i will probabaly wait for the "PRO" version.

The reason:

Quote:
I doubt you've heard this before: If you have US$900 to properly prepare an MBX5, I would definitely recommend that car over ours. If you want something that's way-more-than-half-the-quality-even-as-an-RTR but half-the-price, our car is the way to go. A new company has to offer something that the big guys can't: our offer is a quality product at a low price. Got the money? Spend it. I welcome people to do that if they can. If not, that's what Power Racing is for. Besides, it's fun being an underdog. As was stated earlier: "If you want a Corvette you would buy a Corvette right?". I don't think our car is a Hyundai, though!
i don't have $900 for an MBX5. Although i definitely want a KANAI 3. the buget, doesn't permit it so far...

so, cameron, when are you bringing in the "PRO" version.

Thanks.
Mercury Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2004, 03:46 PM   #78
Tech Elite

Send a message via Yahoo to TambokGT

.....you don't need $900 to make the X5 competitive.......

the kit alone is $499.00 ...if you are only be racing in club races...throw in an OS RG ($109) or an OFNA Race ($149.99)engine, OFNA 086 pipe ($60),94358Z servos for steering ($80 to 90 at EBAY), and a metal gear servo for throttle ......and you are set to race......
TambokGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2004, 09:50 PM   #79
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to uDi_MP7.5

Last edited by uDi_MP7.5; 04-26-2012 at 07:29 AM.
uDi_MP7.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2004, 10:45 AM   #80
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 62 (100%+)

Swift did it again. Getting better each time out. At least here in the Bay Area we get to race every weekend. So, when we say the Swift is doing good we know what we're talking about.I remember a few Kinai and Mbx 5 were behind the Swift and it was bone stock, even the engine. So does UDI even race?How often?He works for the industry?Is he a national level racer?He seems to know what he's talking about. Wagnerov knows what he's talking about.He works for the industry and was a national caliber racer before he worked for PRP.He's even in the last months RCCAR magazine. Six pages or more i think.Talking about the PRP company.Talk is talk. Just look at the results and listen to people who own one.Those people who own one seems to be very happy about it. Not those people worried that they'll be behind an affordable buggy that does very well.Great buggy and great price. How about a little thank you to those company who try to accomodate us. It's not a Kyosho or a Mugen but, thats okay......................
sipaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2004, 10:54 AM   #81
Tech Master

Oh yeah by the way, excellent customer service. Try calling the other companies and talk with their tech guy and compare with PRP.Very friendly , knowledgable and will try to answer your questions. I am not sponsored by them but I like to see a new company try to accomodate every group of racers. May it be somebody who has a lot of money or someone with limited resources.We can't have 2 or 3 big companies trying to take over the industry. What is this Microsoft???New companies like PRP should be welcomed and motivated. They give the other big names something to thinkabout. New competition is healthy in any product. It makes the established company work and we get hopefully competitive products from the smaller ones.
Old 01-11-2004, 01:35 PM   #82
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

is this true? a swift rtr thats beating the kanai and mbx5?

say it isnt so

is it driving?

and since we know it probably is driving why is the best driver running a swift?

i would have to say that the swift must be pretty impressive

i guess i had better get out and practice as much as possible so i dont get beat by a swift while racing my mbx5 or i will most likely get laughed at

tambokgt what companies do you know of making hopups for the mbx5? i know fioroni and racers edge but they arent making what i really want yet (a 4mm chassis)

offroad season is only a couple months away and i cant wait to put the electric car away and get my mbx5 out for some real fun
Old 01-11-2004, 05:50 PM   #83
Tech Apprentice

Send a message via AIM to Gped0124 Send a message via Yahoo to Gped0124

Quote:
Originally posted by PTP Racing
is this true? a swift rtr thats beating the kanai and mbx5?

say it isnt so

is it driving?

and since we know it probably is driving why is the best driver running a swift?

i would have to say that the swift must be pretty impressive

i guess i had better get out and practice as much as possible so i dont get beat by a swift while racing my mbx5 or i will most likely get laughed at

tambokgt what companies do you know of making hopups for the mbx5? i know fioroni and racers edge but they arent making what i really want yet (a 4mm chassis)

offroad season is only a couple months away and i cant wait to put the electric car away and get my mbx5 out for some real fun
The swifts are really putting on a show at delta. I saw about 5 or 6 in expert, all of them with the same quality drivers as the kanais and x5's, but the more expensive buggies were getting whooped on. The sportsman class is now pretty much dominated by the swifts. The more expensive buggies are getting whooped on.
Gped0124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2004, 09:06 PM   #84
Tech Master

PTP - As far as I know, Fioroni is the only company making an aftermarket chassis (4mm) for the X5 right now.

Gped - At a certain level, it becomes all about the driver and the vehicle factors less in the outcome. While it's easy to see that the Swift could probably do well week in and week out...I always hesitate to go so far as to say that any new car whoops on any established vehicle.
Old 01-12-2004, 12:02 AM   #85
Tech Master

It is the driver, I certainly agree. What most Swift owners are saying is that it ain't a bad deal,pretty good car especially for the price,runs along side with the other higher end buggies and so on. It's just that the buggy has potential and of course it also has some stuff that needs to be corrected. May it be another design or same as the others.
Old 01-12-2004, 03:05 AM   #86
Tech Elite

okay ...how about this question.

Is the Swift durable for a rookie or sportman ?
I see people who have been driving it are far being novice drivers.
Old 01-12-2004, 03:06 AM   #87
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by Gped0124
The swifts are really putting on a show at delta. I saw about 5 or 6 in expert, all of them with the same quality drivers as the kanais and x5's, but the more expensive buggies were getting whooped on. The sportsman class is now pretty much dominated by the swifts. The more expensive buggies are getting whooped on.
Are they using stock engine and pipe on their swifts?

Last edited by penggoy; 01-12-2004 at 11:23 AM.
penggoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2004, 06:40 AM   #88
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

OK i just have 1 question

these guys racing the swifts are good drivers but if thats the case how come and what happened to their old buggies?

even if its a great deal (and it sounds like it is) why did these racers (who i assume have been racing) decide to spend money to buy the swift when they already had buggies

tambokgt have you seen a fioroni chassis? i only found it 1 place online and it said 3mm

i dont want a lighter 3mm chassis i want a 4mm so i gotta make sure before i shell out over $100
Old 01-12-2004, 01:21 PM   #89
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by PTP Racing
OK i just have 1 question

these guys racing the swifts are good drivers but if thats the case how come and what happened to their old buggies?

even if its a great deal (and it sounds like it is) why did these racers (who i assume have been racing) decide to spend money to buy the swift when they already had buggies

tambokgt have you seen a fioroni chassis? i only found it 1 place online and it said 3mm

i dont want a lighter 3mm chassis i want a 4mm so i gotta make sure before i shell out over $100

I've seen it once at EBAY.....pretty trick. I would get it if I can get it cheaper than a stock one.
Old 01-12-2004, 03:48 PM   #90
Tech Master

PTP - you can try Team ETR They show it as the 4mm. There is a 4mm and a 3mm. I got the 4mm for my Kanai buggy and it's nice. About using one on the X5, it's pretty light already so I'm not in any rush to find a lightened chassis. As for why someone would try the Swift...could be because some people, myself included, just want to try different things. I have an X5 and still went out and got a K2 just to try it. For the most part, you never know what's best for you until you:

#1 - Try everything or...

#2 - Force yourself to believe that what you have is the best for you.

As it is now, if I had the money I'd try the Swift. Just weird racer stuff I guess.