R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 10-04-2004, 09:50 PM   #811
Tech Adept

Randy,

I have the XB8 and love it. The MAC engine has a black head with polished fins. Runs great and looks good in the car. They have a new Torker model which should be a great motor for tight technical tracks. The current MAC is really smooth mid to top end motor that requires a little bit of clutch & pipe tuning to get the bottom end right. I highly recommend CMDI / Andy Brown engines and great customer service. Go to Starting Grid offroad forum and lookup the CMDI/MAC thread and you will see what I mean!
psmart2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2004, 02:13 AM   #812
Tech Prophet

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)

They dont happen to have a website do they?
Randy Caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2004, 03:18 AM   #813
Tech Elite

http://www.reidrc.com/pistonte.htm

Try this
Horatio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2004, 07:33 AM   #814
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

keep us informed about your experience with the car..
warpig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2004, 09:26 PM   #815
Tech Apprentice

my mac is anyting but smooth, as soon as it hits mid it just takes off,
injection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2004, 07:29 AM   #816
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I hear they don't last too long though.. could be a rumor.. I don't know.. I've seen one run.. it looked really good
warpig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2004, 08:16 AM   #817
Tech Elite

According to the CMB site, the engines are supposed to have exceptionally good life due to the long taper sleeve/piston fit. I've never seen one so I have no idea if the engines are as good as they're made out to be.

It will be interesting to see if they're as good as they seem on the website - all you guys here will set the record straight I'm quite sure...

The CMB marine engines have a good reputation, so I suspect that their car engines are going to be good. Very good. Time will tell.
Old 10-06-2004, 08:35 AM   #818
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)
Default I would like to know what parts they are putting on the 777 from the k3

Well since I am the driver that Jason was talking about using the K2 parts because I did not have time to finish building the car. But now I am running the full blown 777. On a local level everyone who has swithced to the 777 is happy with there purchase. I have had both cars and I the best advice I would give is that the two cars require different set ups. The K2-3 set up will not work on the 777.

As far as K3 parts on the new car. I have heard about running the old toe blocks in the rear. But the front and rear end of the car does have the holes to make the car comparable to a k3 set up wise if you so choose to.

Go 777 all the way. Not to mention there cheaper than a K3 anyway. Would you walk on to a car lot and pay more for a 2003 than you would for a 2005.
TonyWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2004, 09:47 AM   #819
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to TexRacer

Hey Tony whats up.
The 777 doesnt have alot of traction out of the hole and it doesnt matter the setup you run almost every Team Driver is running alot of k3 rear end parts to make the car come out harder.
Plus the car is very unstable compared to the K3.
Is it a nice car?It better be for the price.
Im saying compared to the K3,Mugen MBX5,XB8,Thunder Tiger S3 it's hurting for some traction out of the hole and feels very unstable when pushed hard.
P.S.You wanna make your car work better on alot of tracks in the U.S.
Switch to Mugen Shocks.
Big Bore both of them?Yes
The mugen's have bigger shafts.
I did this and it really helped my K3 and 777 but I would run the K3 over the 777 hands down on 90% of the tracks I have raced both cars on.
Now am I being picky here?Of course I am.
But so are team drivers.
When I set up a 777 like it's suppose to be while using K3 rear blocks because the 777 blocks simply suck when traction is needed against a K3 thats setup right.
Im talking as lil as .04-3.0 full seconds a lap difference
Old 10-06-2004, 10:04 AM   #820
Tech Elite

Tony-I just had to.lol

You quoted:
"Would you walk on to a car lot and pay more for a 2003 than you would for a 2005"
Yep I sure would when it comes to race cars.
I did it with a 3 yr old kart(Won my class)
I did it with a 5 yr old chassis in Dirt Track(Won My class)
So yes in racing I would buy a 2003 car over a 2005 car if it's better on most tracks.
Just like the Losi XX-4 and XXX-4 in Electric.
I would own a XX-4 hands down due to it being the BETTER car on alot of the american tracks.

Tony-Where do you race at,whats the surface like and what tires do you use?
In the South here we have BIG jumps and alot of different surfaces and the K3 is simply the better car in about 20 people's hands plus this is the feedback Im getting back from Team Driver's that are honest.I however can not disclose names but most of them are in California and 1 in the South.

NEW DOESNT ALWAYS MEAN BETTER.
Ever had a X- Girlfriend you liked better than the one your with now?lol

Guys this is a Which car is better thread and they always turn bad.This is simply an opinion but this one happens to be shared with some pretty DIEHARD Kyosho Fans here in the south and In California.

CMB- Probally one of my Favorite Motor's of all time.The old Carbs were rebuildable and the new one's are quite nice.
Their Rods are great too.
The Raptor has TONS of power.Torque and RPM due to the design.
I had one for a while that was better than a P5 out of the whole and would beat a WS7II down the straight.Amazing Motor.
Old 10-06-2004, 10:10 AM   #821
Tech Elite

Sorry KyoshoKEV I missed your post on the last page.
Mainly the Rear Blocks to help the car be a lil more stable and to get more traction out of the whole.But other parts as well.

Some of the guys I race with LOVE agressive cars that arent quit as stable due to FEELING Faster.But when they looked at Lap Times they were actually SLOWER.
I would say it's like driving a Associated and a Losi in Electric.
Associated FEELS faster due to the agressiveness of the car.
The losi is more stable,more forgiving and usually can be pushed harder.
Depends on the driver and their driving style to WHICH car will be faster.

Like I said guys this is almost a K777 Vs OTHER Brands thread.
Im just sharing that Team Drivers,BIG handful of locals and me are NOT impressed with this NEW car and like the older car alot better.Better lap times,comes out of the whole better and in better control and more stable.
K3 it is for me.

Goodluck to everyone with their 777's it's still a VERY HIGH quality car and in most peoples hands they will more than love it.
Being I have owned a TON of cars I like something thats more stable and faster and the K3 is that for me PERSONALLY.
Old 10-06-2004, 02:05 PM   #822
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by TexRacer
CMB- Probally one of my Favorite Motor's of all time.The old Carbs were rebuildable and the new one's are quite nice.
Their Rods are great too.
The Raptor has TONS of power.Torque and RPM due to the design.
I had one for a while that was better than a P5 out of the whole and would beat a WS7II down the straight.Amazing Motor. [/B]
This is exactly the sort of stuff I was wanting to hear. I've seen plenty of WS7's, P5's etc but I've not yet seen or heard much about the CMB engines.

So far what I have heard has been very good - you seem impressed too. Why did you change the engine if you don't mind me asking? And how did you find the rate of wear - was it better, worse or the same compared to more run-of-the-mill engines?

Regards they Kyosho K3 vs 777 argument........I'm not saying anything!! I'm used to the usual Mugen vs Kyosho 'opinions' - but Kyosho vs Kyosho is even better!
Old 10-06-2004, 07:31 PM   #823
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)
Default I have owned all three cars this year the MBX 5, K car and 777

I race on the east coast and the guys in PA, VA, MD all are getting the 777 and loving them. 2 guys that have just gotten them have been offered rides from other companies and have turned them down because they feel the 777 is that good.

It is true every car is different. I just don't see the everyone stepping back to the K car with the 777 out.

Who ever was asking about the changes. Some guys are using the Kanai toe blocks becuase they give the car a wider stance.

Tex I do understand what you are saying but I am really interested in what else they are changing.

It is also interesting that you say run mugen shocks. When the mugen shocks have fragile shock shafts(part of the reason why I shelfed the mugen, that and clucth bell bearings)
TonyWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2004, 07:40 PM   #824
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default TexRacer

Can you email me your K3 setup please... Thanks

John
John Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2004, 08:06 PM   #825
Tech Elite

The shock shafts on the MBX5 shocks or the OLDER mugen shocks?
I have never seen an issue with MBX5 shock shafts.
The older one's YES but not the new one's.

Tony Like I said it's simply an opinion but mine is backed with lots of lap times and the 2 guys I speak of from Team Kyosho are JK and MP.
While using alot of after market stuff the wider stance is the BIGGEST issue.Makes the car more stable but due to positioning of the motor on the chassis the car doesnt come out of the hole for the agressive type driver like the Older K3 will.
If you guys are having good luck with the car up in the northeast thats Sweet.I want everyone to do well.
In this particular case on Southern and Western tracks I know alot of locals and Team Guys prefer the K3.

Goodluck to everyone racing and to 80% of the racing community out there in all honesty they wouldnt notice anyway.
It took me 5 yrs to notice.lol.