R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 09-09-2004, 08:05 PM   #766
Tech Rookie

Thumbs up Hyper7

I have been running a hyper7 with the hyper 8port all summer with out any motor problems.I am on my 5th gallon of fuel wright now.The only thing I have broke on this buggy is the front lower pivet balls 3 times now.This is my first nitro anything.I have been placing in the a main all summer I went out of town to a race last weekend and won the b-main that moved me into the a main.I finshed 3rd.For some one just starting out the hyper7 is great.Iwould buy this buggy again
wreckscuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2004, 10:11 PM   #767
Tech Rookie

Default This forum

For those offended by my "Ofna-bashing" comments, I apologize. My comments were observations based on over a year of reading the forum – perhaps I misread the intent of the comments……. Goes double for the accidental posting of a duplicate message.

As far as the 1/8th scale scene is concerned, an observation:

While engine reliability has shown 'manifold' improvement from my early Cox .049 days, it seems long-term reliability in modern engines is still mostly out of reach. I have been reading with interest the comments on replacements for the stock engines in many of the RTR packages and was surprised at the degree of unanimity in replacement suggestions.

I have replaced the stock .26 with a Picco .21 and noticed a substantial increase in starting power (and a corresponding reduction in high end power…), I was wondering about experience with the Picco .26 bigblock.

Rotweiler {aka Da Ofna bug(gy)}
Rotweiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2004, 03:43 AM   #768
Tech Elite

Most of the guys here (including myself) race our buggies, so generally the advice given pertains to .21 race engines, as anything bigger than that is currently regarded as an 'outlaw' size.

However, as I race monster trucks as well all I can tell you is that the Picco .26 examples I've seen have been pretty powerful. In particular, the P3 Werks Racing version was bonkers - but it drank fuel at an alarming rate.

Many companies choose Picco, so I gather that they must be getting something right. They certainly offer exceptional value for money.

As we're on the subject of outlaw size engines, I eagerly await the 8 port RB.28 engine. Certainly the Nova Rossi .28 engines are supposed to be about the fastest truck engine out there at the moment. Getting one of these bolted into a buggy is obviously going to be alot of fun for bashing with!
Horatio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2004, 10:03 PM   #769
Tech Initiate

Send a message via AIM to TurboAD9Mirage

hey guys, i picked up a sirio .21 onroad motor, for extremely cheap, brand new, couldnt resist, if anyone is interested to buy my hyper 7 8 port motor that came in my pcr buggy , let me know, i didnt even run a galon of gas through it, 1/4 of the jug left. Not even broken in yet, ill sell it cheap, if anyone is interested... as spare/emergency motor heeh
TurboAD9Mirage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2004, 12:09 PM   #770
Tech Regular

Default OS RG .21 held its own!!!

I raced 1/8 buggy up at dirtburners in St. Loius tuesday night. Man was I impressed on the OS Rg. That motor runs awesome! It was catching some racers down the straight!!! The were running picco's, sirio's, RB, etc...

What a motor for $100!!!!!
nate johnston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2004, 07:54 PM   #771
Tech Initiate

what motor?
Old 09-20-2004, 04:42 AM   #772
Tech Regular

Send a message via AIM to corradopsi

Quote:
Originally posted by corradopsi
so anyway......................................

how about some opinions on OS's new VZ-B V-spec? im picking one up for my XB8 and would like to know if anyone else is running one.
well since nobody got back to me. i bought one and am breaking it in now. im running a jp-1 pipe on it, and have a 086 to try back to back on it too.
Old 09-21-2004, 02:32 AM   #773
Tech Adept

Have heard good things about that motor. I just finished building my XRAY. I went with the MAC 21 and Andy Brown 053 modified pipe. Also have a RB 063. Start breaking in tomorrow. Let us know how you like the V spec. Looking for a second motor and this one has my interest.
psmart2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2004, 11:43 AM   #774
Tech Regular

well if it has your interest it should have a spot in your pitbox. i finished up and this thing is just rediculous. im running the vspec and a jp-1 pipe. it runs comfortable at 215* with a slight bit of gurgle to it yet till i have some more fuel through it. idles very nice, i had to let it sit and idle for 2 minutes while i took my 4 y/o son to pee on a tree at the park, it never flamed out. peg the gas from a standstill, and the front tires instantly ballloon up and it rockets off, this is on pavement no less. this is with 5k/7k/1k oils. ill see what i can do today about uploading some video to rcpics.net. this motor is absolutely sick though.
Old 09-21-2004, 01:25 PM   #775
Tech Elite

Sounds like a nice little motor you have there.

I've been told about some interesting CMB Raptor engines that are now available. CMB make amazing marine engines, but their car engines look to be something very special indeed.

In particular their 'reverse pinch technology' means extraordinary long engine life. The engines when cold are actually loose. But as the engine get's up to temperature, only then does the piston become a close fit in the sleeve.

You can also obtain engines specially 'ported' for even more performance gains. It's not that often you see 11 ports on a buggy engine either...........

Likely to be very pricey though
Horatio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2004, 02:39 PM   #776
Tech Adept

Actually the CMB motors and the MAC motors are very reasonably priced and have quite a reputation for reliability.
Old 09-21-2004, 03:15 PM   #777
Tech Regular

how much is reasonable, got a link to a reputable distributor?
Old 09-21-2004, 05:07 PM   #778
Tech Adept

http://www.atomicmotorsports.com/MAC.21-1.htm

I got mine in a couple of days, great service. the modified is 2-3 weeks. Check out WWW.SGRID.com offroad forum, lots of good feedback about CMDI (MAC importer/designer Andy Brown).
Good stuff!!
Old 09-21-2004, 10:26 PM   #779
Tech Initiate

im tryin to break in my sirio .21 on road motor, wow its tite, i cant even turn the crank with the flywheel on by hand, lol. I got it to start thou, thank god for starter boxes, i only got through not even 1/4 of tank, its gona be a long long break in process, jeeez.
Cant wait to see it in action, i hear it baloons tires in 2nd gear, it gets so power full after 2 galons of gas, weeeee heehh
Old 09-21-2004, 10:58 PM   #780
Tech Regular

yes the os rg .21 is very impressive for the price! Ill probably dump a little more into one her pretty soon though. Anybody run the mayhem?
Is there any big races somewhere in the east anytime soon? Im needing to go to a big race bad!! Im in southern IL.
I would drive pretty far to a race but just not to the west coast.

Oh by the way I have a jammin jp-1 pipe for sale. I used it for about 2 months so its like new! asking 55 shipped! obo!
nate johnston is offline   Reply With Quote