R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 06-23-2004, 01:55 PM   #541
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to KINGZJ

Jr and Hitech have a great warrenty. However they will not hold up to the vigors of 1/8 offroad. I talked several times to the JR service manager and he told me that they were aware of the problem and they were working on it.

Tower has the 9350 for $99 but if you buy 2 you can get a break on the price plus you can take advantage of the coupons they offer. If you buy 2 you can get like $20 or more off the total price. You will then be set on servos for a very long time as long as endpoint are set properly.

I highly recomend on the throttle and brake linkages to go to the Kyohso linkage setup and USE the springs. I feel the springs are the biggest key to making a servo that works so hard last a long time. You get a more linear braking also. Fuel tubing is not the way to go.
KINGZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2004, 02:38 PM   #542
Tech Elite

I find that when things go wrong, generally they all go wrong at the same time.

My weekend wasn't to clever. I've only broken my Mugen MBX4RR twice in about 5 years. On one occasion, I hit a post and broke the front upper wishbone. On an another occassion, I 'tangled' with a wayward Hyper 7 and broke a shock shaft. Sure I've replaced worn out components, but rarely has anything actually broken during rough and tumble.

I couldn't keep the nose down on our triple, the take-off part of the first jump has rutted quite badly since the previous days racing and really needed maintenance. On one of my attempts, I actually landed on the rear wing really hard - this not only bent the rear shock tower forward, but broke all four screws that holds the wing mounts on

Despite this, I did manage to finish the tank and then brought it in. Also, the Medial Pro Turbo Rat tyres kept coming off the rims.

My Savage lost the grub-screw pins into BOTH front and rear drive cups I thought I had spares, but actually only had the smaller size pins - so no good. Having pretty much given up on my own racing, I made myself useful trying to start somebody else's brand new RS4 .15 engine, whilst doing so I broke off one of the pins on my rotostart shaft. What's more, the bloody thing didn't start either!!

At least the sun was shining.......

How about you guys - have you ever had a weekend/s like this?
Horatio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2004, 03:02 PM   #543
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by KINGZJ
Jr and Hitech have a great warrenty. However they will not hold up to the vigors of 1/8 offroad.
Hitec own JR.

My Hitec 5925 in the Mugen and 5945 in the Savage SS have given me Zero problems, both of them on 6 volts. Neither have they given me trouble in My Edge 540 (Aero) 4.8 volts, my Rayspeed SD touring car 5.5 volts, Cat 3000 5.5 volts or any other model.

Either Hitec servos vary in consistency from very good to rubbish (in which case, considering the high number of Hitec servos I run, I've been exceedingly lucky), or people are unwittingly getting things wrong.

Companies don't usually make a habit of offering great warranties unless they have faith in their 'equally' great products.

This debate will always rage on and I know I'm horribly out- numbered on this thread. But I'd have 100% trust in my servos in any 45 minute final. I'd have more concerns about my clutch bearings to be perfectly honest Oh, and my driving which gets decidely dodgey around the 30 minute mark!!
Old 06-23-2004, 03:07 PM   #544
Tech Elite

Last year at the Kysoho race I had a very similar experience where everything went poorly. On the first day of practice everything was super. On the second day (controled practice) everything started going south. I had a new engine in my buggy and the Jr throttle servo locked at full wood. My buggy launched into the tree's and landed about 5 feet off the ground in a bush (while still going full wood) by the time I was able to get their the head had turned a dark purple and the engine quit. Now that cost me a $300 engine and a $100 servo. I then swithced the servo and engine. On the very next run my Jr steering servo went south. Another $100 down the tubes. I then replaced the servo with another new one and tried again. This time my 2 month old M8 stoped working. Another $300 down the tubes. I did not have a spare radio so I had to go to the nearest hobby store and get a new radio. I bought a Jrxr3i $180 down the tubes. Ok now I have had enough for that day and I called it quit's. Then came qual. day and the troubles started all over again. On my first attempt my brand new Jr steering servo craped out. On my second atempt I broke and on my third atempt I flamed out. Finally on my 4 and last chance I got a really good run in. The only problem was that it was qual. points and I only had 1 good run.

Now comes the mains. I was pretty far down the mains and things were going very well. I bumped up like 4 times. I think I was in the g main and thats is when my dark cloud set in again. My wife who was pitting for me pulled my pressure line off of my pipe and I flamed out. She got me restarted and I finished up 3rd 10 feet and 1 place away from the bumpup spot.

I think that was the most frustraiting experiece I can think of. I should have packed it up early but I figured what could go wrong next.
Old 06-23-2004, 03:08 PM   #545
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Hitec owns JR?????

I've never heard of this before...I know that Hitec recently acquired Multiplex....but my understanding is that JR Propo was it's own stand alone Japanese brand???
ChrisP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2004, 03:11 PM   #546
Tech Elite

they are seperate Jr is through Horizon hobbies and Hitech is in Cali somewhere
Old 06-23-2004, 03:35 PM   #547
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

kingzj in your post you mentioned speaking to a JR service manager who agreed they had a problem and were working on it maybe these new servos are their answer to the problem

the add's main line is "we tried to break them but couldnt" or something like that

either way im unsure what i will do if i get enough money selling my r/c equipment on ebay i will try and get those servos you mentioned otherwise not sure if i'll get another airtronics or what

so far ive only stripped the gears in the airtronics so by changing the gear periodically i can potentially avoid trouble

the futaba's were pretty good too the first couple times it was the same story the gear stripped inside i go to the store $4 later its fixed the latest time however it just stopped

the hitec servos on the otherhand just do wierd shit like this past weekend it would be fine for a few laps then stop then a second or 2 later be working again luckily only 2 times it died in the open throttle position and both quickly started working again before anything bad happened but it sure was scary i shoulda pulled the car but i wanted to keep going
Old 06-23-2004, 03:52 PM   #548
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by Windsorguy99
Hitec owns JR?????

I've never heard of this before...I know that Hitec recently acquired Multiplex....but my understanding is that JR Propo was it's own stand alone Japanese brand???
Sorry, I had a brain fart!! No, Hitec don't own JR. They aquired Multiplex last year.

Please ignore my gobshite

Old 06-23-2004, 03:58 PM   #549
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by PTP Racing
kingzj

the hitec servos on the otherhand just do wierd shit like this past weekend it would be fine for a few laps then stop then a second or 2 later be working again luckily only 2 times it died in the open throttle position and both quickly started working again before anything bad happened but it sure was scary i shoulda pulled the car but i wanted to keep going
This fault sounds just like a dirty potentiometer in your Tx. Check it out - it could save you $$$ - and takes only minutes to fix. It maybe nothing to do with your Servos.

Heheheheh, you might want to consider fitting a TRS too....
Old 06-23-2004, 04:00 PM   #550
Tech Elite

Kingzj:

That bad day you had - kinda makes my day look good

Fair play to you for fighting to the bitter end!
Old 06-23-2004, 04:34 PM   #551
Tech Elite

With digital servo's from what I have been told the biggest failure is the amps. They simply overheat and cannot handle the vibrations. The problem is fixed with a alum heat sink case and using gromets to mount your servo. Digital servos get hot and need to be cooled. If you are using a standard digital you will have premature problems if it doesn't get cooled well enough. The trottle servo works hard and gets allot of radiant heat from the engine witch is not good. Adding a heat shield (alum tape) can also be a big help. Trust me when I say I have tried allot of things with servo's. It kills me to go out of a race early with an equip. failure.
Old 06-23-2004, 05:07 PM   #552
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by KINGZJ
With digital servo's from what I have been told the biggest failure is the amps. They simply overheat and cannot handle the vibrations. The problem is fixed with a alum heat sink case and using gromets to mount your servo. Digital servos get hot and need to be cooled. If you are using a standard digital you will have premature problems if it doesn't get cooled well enough. The trottle servo works hard and gets allot of radiant heat from the engine witch is not good. Adding a heat shield (alum tape) can also be a big help. Trust me when I say I have tried allot of things with servo's. It kills me to go out of a race early with an equip. failure.
2 really valid points you just mentioned probably solve the mystery!!

Firstly, I always use grommets - always, no matter what type of model. Lots of people don't, so perhaps vibration is killing their servos.

Secondly, racing in the UK where our track temps are considerably lower than yours, perhaps this helps explain why my digital servos never overheat.

Maybe that's why you guys prefer the Futaba or Airtronics servos with aluminum heat sinks. It never dawned on me till now
Old 06-23-2004, 06:04 PM   #553
Tech Fanatic

Hi Everyone!

Anyone here drives a Hobao? Any thoughts compaing them to the MP 7.5 and Mugen kits. thanks for your comments whatever they may be!
MOTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2004, 06:10 PM   #554
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to Chico

Hi, does anybody no the part # for the stock body that comes with the Hyper 7 pro.

I have looked on ofna's web site but they have nothing listed for it. The guy at my LHS cant find the part # either, any help would be cool.

Thanks.
Chico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2004, 07:27 PM   #555
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

Anyone ever tried a .26 motor in there buggy?I got a Wasp and thought about trying it!
37 RACING is offline   Reply With Quote