R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 06-22-2004, 02:12 PM   #526
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to KINGZJ

I have raced against the prototype mayhem and the production version for some time now. One of the desighners (works for horizon) John Adams races in the midwest. Trust me this car is durable and John has tested the crap out of the buggy and as far as I know their has not been any failures to speak of. THe engine is really fast and is not only fairly cheap but it will keep up with the best of them it is a real screamer.
KINGZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2004, 08:05 PM   #527
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to uDi_MP7.5

I know a few guys with hyper7's too, and if I didn't buy a Kyosho they'd probably be my next pick... pretty nice buggies imo. If only they'd release some 3.5 shafts or something with all these updates coming out, my friend took out like three recently.

hey ptp - what servos are you breaking? try a futaba and try loosening up your saver a bit??
uDi_MP7.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2004, 11:07 PM   #528
Tech Adept

sikgraffx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2004, 12:34 AM   #529
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

if you break an X5.. you are doing something wrong..
warpig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2004, 01:41 AM   #530
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to uDi_MP7.5

Quote:
Originally posted by warpig
if you break an X5.. you are doing something wrong..
like not driving a kyosho?
uDi_MP7.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2004, 04:54 AM   #531
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by uDi_MP7.5
like not driving a kyosho?
good answer!!
Horatio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2004, 07:57 AM   #532
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

i understand what your saying about breaking an x5 it is extremely durable

but to say im doing something wrong well maybe thats a little harsh

we all broke them everyone driving a mbx5 in the A main in fact i know for a fact not only did we all break them in the A a few of our friends who didnt make the A also broke

honestly most of the breakages were servos (but it seems strange we all keep killing them) but alot of us also broke shock shafts

1 guy in the A broke his engine block during the main on a really hard landing after a triple jump

i think the track was being especially tough on the cars but the track was the same for everyone even hyper 7 and kanai drivers

i dont know exactly how many x5's broke but it seemed that ALL of them had broke in some way since we are all pretty much friends its kinda easy to tell

i finished the B without any issues

and in my cars defense i think the shock broke when my pit man threw the car out after a pit stop and it landed funny

but if you gotta do something wrong to break it i was just 1 of many who was making mistakes (and i take some comfort in that)

also on a side note my buggy is a whole season old now and i never had this much trouble last year when it was new
Old 06-23-2004, 08:56 AM   #533
Tech Regular

Send a message via AIM to speedydave Send a message via Yahoo to speedydave

I haven't broken anything on my MBX5 yet, but all of the shock ends are starting to stretch into ovals...

A friend of mine broke the stock front aluminum arm mount plate, so he got an aftermarket one, then broke that. I think he broke the one after that, too.
speedydave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2004, 09:46 AM   #534
Tech Elite

i think in a little more than an entire season ive broke 1 of those hinge pin holders on the front bent 2 front shock towers and 2 shock shafts and 2 clutch springs

ive worn out the shock ends numerous times and a steering end the original chassis brace ends

really most of my breakages have been servos so far 2 last year and 4 this year

the buggy is definetly durable probably the most durable but not unbreakable

and when that hinge pin piece broke that was a head on collision with another buggy who was coming down the straight going the wrong way also that was when the shock tower bent the 1st time

i need a new buggy and i think im going to try a kanai just to see what i think

next year i'll be getting a new 1 anyway and then i'll decide whether i want a mbx5 prospec or the new mp777
Old 06-23-2004, 09:50 AM   #535
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default SWK Mayhem

I'm now really interested in getting a Mayhem but it's new in the market. Any Mayhem owners out there that can provide a detailed report of the buggy. Like/dislikes? Parts that need improving? Suggestions for mods? I'd like to know before I buy.
Old 06-23-2004, 10:08 AM   #536
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to KINGZJ

The general public is just now getting the Mayhems so it will be a little time before anyone with issues comes forward.

As for servo's in 1/8 buggies their is only one that can last and that is the Futaba 9350 its expensive but well worth it. If you have blown a servo then the next one to buy is the 9350. I have one steering servo that is well into its second season and still works great. I have tried every servo that I could think to put in my buggies and the 9350 is the ONLY one to last. Their are allot of guys in my area that now use this servo and I have yet to hear of one failing. I think the Key to it is the alum. case it keeps the servo cool.
KINGZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2004, 10:24 AM   #537
Tech Elite

how much is that servo??

i was going to probably get another airtronics 357 or 358

the servos that died this weekend in my car were a futaba 9451 and my back-up hitec 5925

the hitec kept glitching but never died 100%

i was looking at maybe getting 1 of the new JR digital servos the add says their unbreakable and ive heard JR has a 3 year warranty

im going to send the futaba servo back and have it serviced i have 2 dead 9451 and a reciever that needs a new antenna
Old 06-23-2004, 11:05 AM   #538
Tech Elite

Strange how you are killing more than one type of servo - something aint right. Are you sure that your servos aren't being stalled? EPA's/ATV's Ok? Is your receiver OK? Perhaps the plug conections are shorting out inside the receiver?

That said, someone at our club killed a Hitec 645 servo last weekend in his Hyper. Followed by a Futaba servo shortly afterwards. I reckon he was just tough as hell on his car though.
Horatio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2004, 11:56 AM   #539
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Default Mayhem buggy

I have had the Sportwerks "Mayhem" For some time now and for not being an off-road racer, it is very, very durable. Parts are available now also. Very low maintenance, parts are in-expensive and awesome quality.
Old 06-23-2004, 01:03 PM   #540
Tech Elite

its probably just coincidental my servos went bad

the futaba was a servo ive had for a long time and at some point i repaired it myself

i had 2 of them broke something in 1 and something else in another put the 2 together to make 1 good 1

and the hitec servo is also not new who knows how old it is but i am used to having problems with them

mainly it boils down to i shoulda got new equipment and instead ive been trying to stretch my crap out as long as possible

my airtronics 357 has burned the plastic gear inside which is somewhat normal after time so im not worried about it too much either

i have seen so many servos go bad this year (in my car and many others) i wonder if its the tracks are just too hard on them or what