R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 05-09-2004, 01:57 AM   #451

rally car drivers set up their cars with extra rear brake to get the car sideways into corners, makes sense to me, too much brake on the front = loaded front end = no steering = ick!!!
cossieboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2004, 08:43 AM   #452
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I rebuild every other race.. if you club race only.. maybe ever 3 to 4 races.. depending on how much you drive it basically...

your oils could be broken down.. they get like that.. I can't see you having to run more than 10k.. no matter what engine.. it is possible though.. especially if your car is on the heavy side

aaron- it's funny hearing people at nats using dukes of hazard techniques in driving.. BTW are you going to the mugen and/or kyosho factory challenges?
warpig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2004, 08:03 PM   #453
Tech Master

Send a message via ICQ to Tsubasa Sakai
Default Swift

Anyone drive Swift here?How about compare its design and quality from MP7.5 and Hyper 7?
Tsubasa Sakai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2004, 08:05 PM   #454
Tech Master

Default re:Swift

Any homepage have the manual of Swift?
Old 05-09-2004, 08:19 PM   #455
Tech Elite

I honestly doubt it compares to a kyosho or mugen.. but it'd be a good starter car
Old 05-09-2004, 11:15 PM   #456
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to uDi_MP7.5

I'd stick to the Hyper7, 7.5's, X5's etc - the swift is not a match in quality.

OH, WHAT HAPPENED TO THAT POWER RACING GUY BRAGGING ABOUT HOW GOOD HIS COMPANYS KIT WAS??? oh wait, last I saw him he was admitting there was quality issues with the swift and how you could use other buggy parts to replace the bad ones...

Sorry to be an ass if you're still around dude, but as always, i'm right (you're wrong). You don't make a Kyosho match overnight, it takes time.

The swift is a buggy i'd steer clear of, at least until they've sorted out all their bugs. And nope, no idea where you'd get a manual. That PR guy could help you out if he's still around.

warpig - na the oil is okay, I use mugen oil and do rebuild quite often. I'll jump back up to 10k next rebuild and see how it goes. Got a new engine to try too, a jp pro99, anyone tried or seen it go? i've heard mixed stories...
uDi_MP7.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2004, 11:48 PM   #457
Tech Initiate

udi- what about about a tcd with red oil in the centre?
habenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2004, 04:20 AM   #458
Tech Elite

Regarding Brakes:

I don't see that it makes sense to run only rear brakes, especially if the track offers some traction. Some rear brake bias, yes - but no brakes on the front? No.

When slowing down with a 1/8th buggy, which I assume we all have to do from time to time, about 60-70 percent of the stopping/slowing power is going to come from the front, due to weight transfer during braking. With brakes on the rear only, they would have to be applied far earlier than with brakes front and rear AND the buggy would have a tendancy to step out.

He who brakes latest, wins.

I imagine that on very slippery, dusty, tracks though, having alot of rear brake bias could help make the car turn tighter. As I run primarily on grass tracks, this rarely applies to me.
Horatio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2004, 05:28 AM   #459
Tech Elite

When you get a chance, take a look at the new Hper 7 Pro UK. It looks awesome. All alloy (7075!!) and carbon fibre, laydown servos for throttle and steering, cnc machined chassis braces, milled out low cofg chassis, front and rear anti roll bars, 1 torsen diff and 2 x 6 spider diffs - the list goes on.

It's one of the best specced cars I've seen and certainly Hobao's best offering to date.

What do you guys think?
Old 05-10-2004, 07:25 AM   #460
Tech Elite

sounds like the pcr

I run so my front brake engages harder than my rear.. I want very minimal rear brake.. just a fade.. they work around the corner better allowing the diff to still be used.. and it's stable when brakes are applied.. the work to control the tilt of the car on very large jumps..

I rarely use brakes when racing.. very very seldom.. but I know when I use them.. I don't want my rear swinging around
Old 05-10-2004, 07:55 AM   #461
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by warpig
sounds like the pcr

I run so my front brake engages harder than my rear.. I want very minimal rear brake.. just a fade.. they work around the corner better allowing the diff to still be used.. and it's stable when brakes are applied.. the work to control the tilt of the car on very large jumps..

I rarely use brakes when racing.. very very seldom.. but I know when I use them.. I don't want my rear swinging around
I suppose it's all down to the particular track you're racing on at the time and your own driving style. Personally I try and avoid the front from ever locking up to prevent understeering. The tracks I race on, you need to be able to brake fairly hard and then whack the power back down to do turn a fast lap. What kind of track do you race on?

My MBX4 RR had a good run on Sunday against a field of much newer cars. I missed TQ by just 1 second, but in the 10 minute final I lapped the 2nd place driver by 5 laps Apparently the large triple caused some problems for alot of drivers.......! Also, it seems that the 'engine further forward' arrangement really lends itself well for grass track racing. Having the fastest straight line speed helped a bit too, thanks to RB...
Old 05-10-2004, 08:01 AM   #462
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

i also have my brake biased toward the rear

when i set it i had the car on the table and pushed it with brake on setting the rear to just lock and front still under braking but not locking

on the track however neither front or back will lock preventing uncontrolled sliding

this is to give more steering while braking
Old 05-10-2004, 02:05 PM   #463
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to uDi_MP7.5

warpig - i actually did want to swing my rear around, lol. anyways i think you guys are right, just a matter of playing around and finding what suits the particular track

habenstein - i got an lsd with red oil up front, might try it in center if i get real desperate but prolly not. Everyone seems to run em up front only

horatio - yeah a uk guy showed me the pdf of the pro-uk, I think it's just the PCR-Pro for the most part like warpig said. Have the hypers switched over to the K-style uni's now? i remember the original h7's running cvd's.
uDi_MP7.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2004, 08:56 PM   #464
Tech Master

Default re:Swift

Thanks everyone for the comment on it.
Old 05-10-2004, 08:56 PM   #465
Tech Elite

I really like your name dude..

much better than Ben