Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

mugen 13T bell also
warpig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2004, 09:58 AM   #362
Tech Elite

Send a message via Yahoo to TambokGT

piggy,
where did you get that pipe and how much?
TambokGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2004, 10:52 AM   #363
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally posted by TambokGT
piggy,
where did you get that pipe and how much?
I just ordered one from Nitrohouse Thursday - $63.96 they are back in stock.
EJRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2004, 04:23 PM   #364
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

yup.. that is such a good deal.. I couldn't tell you how it runs on other engines though.. I haven't tried it.. I think my P5T is hooked up with the 2050 so I won't change it... and my VZB's which I'm not running really.. ran great with the 2050 also..

but, the WS7II seemed to run a little to crazy in the middle of it's power curve.. and not punchy enough right where you need it.. the JP-1 seemed to cure all the problems and make it have a linear powerband.. I love it
warpig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2004, 09:05 PM   #365
Tech Master

HeY!!!

i'm thinking of getting into nitro and possibly a 1/8 scale, but don't know exactly what is a good one for me, and i'm a good off-road elec stk, and mod driver, or can handle mod. and wondering which is best one to get, and how much will it cost to keep it running??? or should i just get a nitro truck???
JoshR 85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2004, 04:27 AM   #366
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by JoshR 85
HeY!!!
i'm thinking of getting into nitro and possibly a 1/8 scale, but don't know exactly what is a good one for me, and i'm a good off-road elec stk, and mod driver, or can handle mod. and wondering which is best one to get, and how much will it cost to keep it running??? or should i just get a nitro truck???
There's never been a better time to take up 1/8th Off Road. It's so much more accessable, with a far greater choice of racing platforms. I know many electric drivers who have made the switch from 1/10th 2wd/4wd offroad to 1/8th Nitro - they were all glad that they did.

Modern race engines offer huge performance, reliable starting and responsive throttling - gone are the days where you'ld spend an afternoon just trying to start an engine, or have it quit every 3 minutes

Hyper 7's spring to mind for value for money, good build quality and overall performance. You can get them ARTR, PBS and Pro versions. The Hyper 8 port engine is cheap, but runs well.

If money is no object, Kyosho seem to occupy the top spot with Mugen, Crono, Thunder Tiger, Hyper 7's all in the hunt as well.

Initial cost with 1/8th is pretty high. Besides the cost of the car, engine, header and pipe, you'll need good quality radio, along with 2 suitable servo's, fuel, fuel bottle (filler or fuel gun), starter box (normally powered by 2 x 7.2v stick packs), glow heater, glow plugs, field charger, 12v power source (leisure battery). As an electric racer, you may well have some of this stuff already.

Unlike with 1/10th off road, you won't need to constantly buy expensive race packs, brushes, armatures or skim comms etc etc to remain competitive. Pretty much all you need is fuel and tyres to keep racing - so 1/8th isn't that expensive, not in the long run.

Driving wise, the speed is awesome. These things get airborne in a hurry. Coming from Mod class, you'll all ready know the importance of 'correct use of throttle'. Handling - well, to be honest they don't handle quite as well as a Losi XXX4 or a CAT 3000 because they are far heavier and have a higher CoG, but they still handle very well. 1/8th Buggies can handle far bumpier surfaces and are less easily deflected.

Maintenence - cleaning and lubrication is important with all classes, but with Nitro it's all about preventative maintenance. Gear boxes are sealed, but air/fuel filters, wheel bearings, clutch, engine bolts and drive-shafts will need to be checked fairly frequently to ensure reliable running. In general you'll break far fewer parts because the 1/8th off road cars are very strong/durable.

Now go get that car..............
Horatio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2004, 07:52 AM   #367
Tech Fanatic

Hi Guys,
On the subject of Hyper 7 PBS, here's a video i've taken on how we run the Hyper here in Hong Kong...
Driver is 'dtm' and a friend.

http://www.rcpics.net/img/28326
KY9fat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2004, 08:44 AM   #368
Tech Elite

Ha! That's a good video, great race - what a battle

Shame about the marshalling though..........
Old 04-26-2004, 08:59 AM   #369
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by Horatio
Ha! That's a good video, great race - what a battle

Shame about the marshalling though..........
Haha..It wasen't a race but just our normal Saturday anfternoon bash.
The guy just a spectator, but thanks to him anyway..it save us coming down from the driver stand
KY9fat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2004, 09:03 AM   #370
Tech Elite

Well it was wheel to wheel stuff at any rate - and it's good to hear that no marshalls were hurt in the making of this video
Old 04-26-2004, 09:28 AM   #371
Tech Master

HeY!!!

i was sorta thinking of getting the kyosho inferno, i don't really know what's best one to get though, and i already have electronics taking care of, and would i have to get motor for kyosho???
JoshR 85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2004, 09:29 AM   #372
dtm
Tech Champion

Send a message via ICQ to dtm

Quote:
Originally posted by KY9fat
Hi Guys,
On the subject of Hyper 7 PBS, here's a video i've taken on how we run the Hyper here in Hong Kong...
Driver is 'dtm' and a friend.

http://www.rcpics.net/img/28326
Hmmmm......Episode 2 will be KY against Mr Dick!!!
dtm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2004, 11:09 AM   #373
Tech Elite

Send a message via Yahoo to TambokGT

...you guys try watering the track. ...you can go faster.
TambokGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2004, 03:29 PM   #374
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by JoshR 85
HeY!!!

i was sorta thinking of getting the kyosho inferno, i don't really know what's best one to get though, and i already have electronics taking care of, and would i have to get motor for kyosho???
Kyosho make nice cars - expensive though. It won't be long before the cheaper cars shake things up by winning a big international. Mugen = 'the people's champion'.

Yep - you're gonna need an engine, unless you buy the inferno sport (RTR entry level buggy with pullstart motor) or if you buy a second hand car with an engine already fitted.

I'm an RB man myself - the WS7 is awesome and converted me from OS engines. The WS7 II is an improved version, but the older version is still competitive. If you want something bonkers, try a C-5. It's scary.

There's so much choice, but really any quality engine will do so long as you run it in properly and mate it with the correct header and pipe.
Old 04-26-2004, 06:59 PM   #375
dtm
Tech Champion

Send a message via ICQ to dtm

Quote:
Originally posted by TambokGT
...you guys try watering the track. ...you can go faster.
True...but its not my track...I just run on it.

When the track has been watered, it usually last for less than half a hour...the sun dries it out too quickly.
dtm is offline   Reply With Quote