R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 04-21-2004, 01:25 PM   #331
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by 1fastdude
Has anyone checked out the new 1/8 Mayhem (Sportwerks) that Horizon Hobby is releasing?
this buggy Mayhem

hmmm looks nice and promising. well see how it'll do on the track when it comes out this June.
penggoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2004, 03:38 PM   #332
Tech Elite

Send a message via Yahoo to TambokGT

...just like the Swift...you guys wait and listen how it performs in races.
TambokGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2004, 03:55 PM   #333
Tech Addict

Send a message via MSN to Neil

That buggy looks pretty nice to me. But new always looks good.
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2004, 03:08 AM   #334
Tech Elite

It looks a pretty solid contender. The shocks look like a similar design to the current line of Yokomo shocks - only much bigger of course. The shocks really do look thicker than usual don't they?

With all these new RTR .26 powered buggies coming out, they're going to have to start a new class: Outlaw 1/8th buggy racing

As if these cars aren't fast enough already!! Also, RB are releasing a 5 port .28 size engine (in a .21 size case!!) and it won't be long before somebody bolts one in to a 1/8th buggy. A race version is also in the pipeline.........cup of tea anyone?
Horatio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2004, 08:43 AM   #335
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

i have to respectfully disagree i dont think we need to complicate things by adding an additional class for these larger engines

my p5 should easily kill any of them anyway reality is .21 race engines are still far better than the larger displacement rtr engines

i really like the offorad racing scene in comparison to onroad because of the lax rules which allow us to just race and have fun whereas i regularly hear complaints from onroad racers about cheating

thats why our local onroad track has finally decided to just make the rules simple by saying small blocks and sedan bodies run what you've brung thus eliminating the cheating factor

in the past 2 years ive attended numerous offroad races where tech wasnt needed and track officials were able to focus their attention on what really matters MARSHALLING and proper radio impound

the worst racing conditions are when i race electric touring in the winter these guys have so many rules the talk of cheating never stops and the atmosphere is far more tense

and finally allowing these newbies with rtr car to come out and race with us and have as much fun as those who spent the big bucks should make more fun for them and in the long run more fun for everyone

but i might change my mind if i get blown away by some newbie with a rtr
Old 04-22-2004, 01:22 PM   #336
Tech Elite

Yeah, I agree with what you say actually. Most off road meetings tend to be more easy going I find. The National meetings I've attended in the UK tend to be a little more strict, but nothing like TCs.

As regards the 1/8th Outlaw Class, I imagine it's not a good idea right now - but if it carries on, there's going to be a trend where new racers get pointed towards RTR's with .25/.26 size motors. How long will it be until after-market .25/.26 engines appear that do out-perform race tuned .21s? If or when that happens, I reckon a new class will be needed.

I agree though that if a new class is started that merely distributes the existing racers more thinly, it's not really a good thing. But if there's an influx of new RTR racers blasting around with .26 race tuned engines, it might be a step in the right direction.

The influx of Hyper7s where I live has been quite astonishing. It's really great news for the sport.
Old 04-22-2004, 02:57 PM   #337
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

i got into 1/8 scale buggy because i was getting burned out of 1/10 ep touring. on-road is so much more technical and serious compared to off-road. i can honestly say i have more fun ripping around w/ my mugen than all my other cars.

funny thing is, i still get sucked into racing touring car. i got back into the reedy race this year. i think this time it's more of a pride thing than anything. last year was sh/tty for me, i had just gotten my sd, and i was so far off in terms of setup. 2 years ago, my ego got the best of me. just a few months prior, i did somewhat decent @ the carpet nats in stockton. so, i don't think i prepped enough for that year's reedy. i didn't expect the caliber of racers @ the reedy race - that won't happen again.

this year, i've got more time w/ the sd cgm, i have tosolini helping me w/ set-up, and i can honestly say that driving 1/8 scale buggy has made me a better tc driver.

as for all the hyper 7's popping up, that's great. i'm now driving my mbx5 only (traded the pbs for a mrx3). i've got mad love for the hyper - great car for the money.
DickemDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2004, 05:57 PM   #338
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Hi all,
I have a hyper 7 pcr rtr on the way and was looking for some starting points on setups (shock/diff oils)
Any help is appreciated.
sharkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2004, 05:21 AM   #339
Tech Elite

The Hyper7 is a very good car for the money. Torsen diff included with it for the price - wow!

I've driven my mate's Hyper during practice and he'll drive my Mugen MBX4RR. Handling wise, there's nothing in it.

How do you find the MBX5? I like what I've heard/seen, but I've yet to drive one.
Old 04-23-2004, 05:40 AM   #340
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by sharkman
Hi all,
I have a hyper 7 pcr rtr on the way and was looking for some starting points on setups (shock/diff oils)
Any help is appreciated.
Bear in mind this is a UK set-up - we race mainly on grass with a fair amount of grip.

Front diff:10000/or Torsen
Middle Diff:30000
Rear Diff:1000

25 Shock oil all round

Little bit of negative camber all round 2-3 degrees

Little bit of toe out on the front 1-2 degrees

Pink Turbo Rat tyres OR Hobao Directional Spike Tyres.

The guys I know with them run this kind of setup. You never know, the next time you run on grass this might come in handy

Old 04-23-2004, 05:46 AM   #341
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Default Bodies

A quick question for all you 1/8 scale racers! Are all the 1/8 scale off-road bodies the same ?
Old 04-23-2004, 06:00 AM   #342
Tech Elite

Default Re: Bodies

Quote:
A quick question for all you 1/8 scale racers! Are all the 1/8 scale off-road bodies the same ?
No - they just all look the same But exactly the same can be said for most racing touring car shells too - they all look like wedges/aerodynamic door stops!

As most modern buggies pretty much all have the same configuration, the shells are all very similar. But that doesn't mean you can take, just for example, a Mugen MBX shell and fit it on a Hyper 7 - it won't fit.
Old 04-23-2004, 06:08 AM   #343
Tech Master

Thank you. What manufactures make most of the bodies? Protoform, Hot bodies ????
Old 04-23-2004, 08:28 AM   #344
Tech Elite

Quote:
Thank you. What manufactures make most of the bodies? Protoform, Hot bodies ????
The only shells I've ever used on my MBX have been made by Mugen, but Protoform also do the 'Crowd Pleazer' shells for Kyosho and Mugen - probably a couple of others by now as well, but I'm not entirely sure. If in doubt, stick to the original type - at least you'll know it fits.
Old 04-23-2004, 08:57 AM   #345
Tech Master

Thanks again, I really appreciate the help.