Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
HoBao Hyper 9E thread >

HoBao Hyper 9E thread

HoBao Hyper 9E thread

Old 03-24-2010, 11:21 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 268 (100%+)

don't know about the 1.5R Caster. The origional Fusion i got a chance to drive and I did like it. It was between that and the Hyper 9E when I upgraded, but I like the single battery pack design and also like the layout better with moving the center diff back so you can move the electronics tight to the centerline of the vehicle. The Casters a good vehicle no doubt.

From what I could tell as I owned a converted RC8 versus the Hyper 9E, the Hyper 9E changed directions quicker than the RC8 and felt more sure footed once dialed in. it also felt more nimble using the same electronics than my RC8 did. keep in mine, this was using a heavy 6000mah 4S battery pack.

I loved my RC8, and this was just better.
Old 03-24-2010, 11:32 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by cjcoffroad View Post
I have only driven a Hyper but from what somebody at my track told me. The hyper 9 has to be driven more aggressively than a traditionally layed out buggy like the rc8.
Agreed, the rc8e was my 1st 1/8 electric when I got the Hyper 9 it took a little getting used too but once I did there was no going back so I sold my rc8e. Driving the Hyper 9e more agressively is a great way to describe the difference.
Old 03-24-2010, 11:34 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Cain View Post
don't know about the 1.5R Caster. The origional Fusion i got a chance to drive and I did like it. It was between that and the Hyper 9E when I upgraded, but I like the single battery pack design and also like the layout better with moving the center diff back so you can move the electronics tight to the centerline of the vehicle. The Casters a good vehicle no doubt.

From what I could tell as I owned a converted RC8 versus the Hyper 9E, the Hyper 9E changed directions quicker than the RC8 and felt more sure footed once dialed in. it also felt more nimble using the same electronics than my RC8 did. keep in mine, this was using a heavy 6000mah 4S battery pack.

I loved my RC8, and this was just better.
Well said Cain.
Old 03-24-2010, 11:36 AM

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

I make a lot of carbon fiber parts for the Hyper 9e, so let me know if you guys want something done.
Old 03-24-2010, 02:19 PM
Tech Initiate

Default Carbon fiber parts

Originally Posted by snrscion View Post
I make a lot of carbon fiber parts for the Hyper 9e, so let me know if you guys want something done.
The rx8 radio tray worked out really nice. It was a convenient way to mount the speed control directly to the chassis and still maintain the buggy's structurel integrity. Nice job snrscion.
Old 03-24-2010, 02:55 PM
Tech Adept

you back with us cain,what you driving now ,as you sold your hyper 9e a few weeks ago,right.
Old 03-24-2010, 03:39 PM

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tboucher71 View Post
The rx8 radio tray worked out really nice. It was a convenient way to mount the speed control directly to the chassis and still maintain the buggy's structurel integrity. Nice job snrscion.
Thanks, appreciated the props.
Old 03-24-2010, 06:59 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Ezrem View Post

With your 2200 you might try grinding down the motor can where it touches the diff outdrive so that you can fit a smaller pinion. I know there have been a few people that have done that...it doesn't take a whole lot. You might search back through the thread to find some pics.
I am really after what pinion sizes I should be looking at to start off with, not what I need to do to make things fit.

Originally Posted by Ezrem View Post
could also try trading/selling your 2200 to get Castle's new 1800kv buggy motor. That would give you a few more options...though you might want to step up to 5S occasionally depending on your local tracks..
Not interested just yet in trying different size motors until I get my head around this lot first. The track I will be running the EP on will be Astroturf with very little change to the layout or surface.
Old 03-24-2010, 08:00 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by hopped up hyper View Post
I am really after what pinion sizes I should be looking at to start off with, not what I need to do to make things fit.

Not interested just yet in trying different size motors until I get my head around this lot first. The track I will be running the EP on will be Astroturf with very little change to the layout or surface.
Well, most people seem to think it's best to gear for around a 35-40mph top speed, as this is a good compromise of low end acceleration and top speed for straights, and is very competitive with nitros. Let's be honest, an 8ish pound buggy flying along much faster than that is a pretty scary proposition anyway. Obviously you can tweak from here depending on the layout of your particular track.

With that in mind, assuming the 2200kv motor, 4S and most tire choices, you probably want a 14 or 15T pinion. This is where the grinding may come into play, as I think 16T is the smallest pinion that still fits without the motor can rubbing the diff outdrive using Castle or Tekin sized motors.

Play around with the gearing calculator here:

http://scriptasylum.com/rc_speed/_top_speed.html

The front/rear diff ratio you want is 3.91, more or less, and the Hyper 9E has a 44T spur. Unfortunately you really can't go any bigger than that (if Ofna even has one available) because it will hit the chassis plate, which means raising the diff, which is basically impossible (or at least highly impractical) given the way the buggy is made.

The big reason to go with the lower KV motors with the 9E is you just get a lot more options for gearing, batteries, etc.
Old 03-24-2010, 08:32 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 520 (100%+)

A buudy is looking at getting a hyper 9E, and was curious about the chassis mud guards. What are you guys using, If anything?
Old 03-24-2010, 09:38 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by flame56mx View Post
A buudy is looking at getting a hyper 9E, and was curious about the chassis mud guards. What are you guys using, If anything?
I think some people are using the TEKNO Rc ones. I personally would go with the Hyper 8.5 mud guards if I still had my 9e just to fill it out more!
Old 03-25-2010, 12:11 AM
Tech Rookie

Thanks for that Ezrem. The 9e actually uses a 40t spur, so I'm assuming I'll need to come down in pinion size from what you mentioned.

Just worried about cooking the motor on it's first run out. I guess that can be avoided by programming the esc correctly.
Old 03-25-2010, 12:42 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Hyper 9e with Tekno mud guards

Originally Posted by flame56mx View Post
The Tekno mud guards work great on my Hyper 9e.
Attached Thumbnails HoBao Hyper 9E thread-dscf2300.jpg  
Old 03-25-2010, 06:18 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by hopped up hyper View Post
Thanks for that Ezrem. The 9e actually uses a 40t spur, so I'm assuming I'll need to come down in pinion size from what you mentioned.

Just worried about cooking the motor on it's first run out. I guess that can be avoided by programming the esc correctly.
Whoops. I was going from memory on the spur. You'll almost definitely need to drop another tooth or two then.

You know, I think Cain was running a MMM 2200 combo on his Hyper 9e before he went Tekin/before he sold everything. He might be able to weigh in on this as well.

Also, +1 on the Tekno mud guards. They fit almost perfectly. All you have to do is notch them a bit at one end to make them wrap around the chassis, and drill some countersunk screw holes. It's like a 20 minute job.
Old 03-25-2010, 06:22 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by titotime View Post
The Tekno mud guards work great on my Hyper 9e.
Do you have a couple more shots of that rear brace you worked up with the turnbuckle and ball ends? Looks...interesting, to say the least.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.