Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
HoBao Hyper 9E thread >

HoBao Hyper 9E thread

HoBao Hyper 9E thread

Old 11-14-2010, 08:17 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I know Kortz was running the 16mm Jammin shocks, but there was some "issues" with being sponsored by Hobao and running Jammin/Hong Nor parts. IMHO, once your car gets down near the ROAR minimum weight that the 17mm Hyper shocks are too big. Plus, the lack of spring options makes it even harder to tune them.
Old 11-14-2010, 08:26 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 271 (100%+)

Here is the setup I ran this past weekend on the Hyper 9E.

Front End
Front Upper shock - 2
Inner upper arm - 2
Outer upper arm - 1
Ackerman - Short
Camber - 0*
Caster - 20*
Front sway bar - 2.5mm
Front Toe - -2*
Front shocks - 1.3x8 NHR Pistons, AE 35 oil, X-Ray Blue/Grey springs, Shock length 106mm
Front ride height - 29mm

Rear End
Rear upper shock - 3
Rear lower arm - 2
Inner upper arm - 3
Outer upper arm - 1
Hub pin - 2
Camber - -1*
Rear sway bar - 2.8mm
Rear Shocks - 1.3x8 NHR Pistons, Losi 30 oil, X-Ray blue/grey springs, Shock length 120mm
Rear toe - 3*
Rear anti squat - 1*
Rear ride height - 30mm

Differentials
Front - 7k AE Oil
Center - 7k AE Oil
Rear - 5k AE Oil

Electronics
Tekin RX8, Tekin 1400kv motor, 6s 3000mah Turnigy Nano-Tech

Other
"B" Rearend, AKA SS Enduro's, CNC front brace, RX8 Mounted on the chassis and not on the plate. Plate had been modded for the esc to sit on the chassis.
Old 11-15-2010, 12:10 AM
Tech Initiate

Ok, Kyosho plastic spur is a no go, sure the car runs smooth and quiet as h_ll but durability?

after only 10 minutes on a flat dirt free asphalt surface a rock chipped 5 teeth on the spur.
I wonder if a plastic spur really can be trusted on the track?
Old 11-15-2010, 12:34 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)
Default Congratulations on your win + Broken Teeth On Kyosho Spur Gear.

Congratulations Michael- Great Job- Well Done. If possible- Please have someone video your next race with your Hyper 9E and post the You Tube link here on this thread. That would be awesome to see your race. I'm really glad you like your buggy. This buggy sure handles well.

Originally Posted by Michael#81 View Post
I finally got a chance to run my Hyper 9E for the first time last night. I went with a basic setup and used the NHR 1.3x8 pistons in the shocks and the car was completely dialed. I ended up winning the main by almost 4 laps.

Coming from AE this car is totally different and so much easier to drive. The car stays so stable and flat and corners like no other car I have ever driven. I can push this car so much harder and not have to worry about the car getting upset or out of shape.

I will post my setup later for all to see.
Hi Vic-
I've primarily run my Hyper 9E on the Clay indoor Track of West Coast RC Raceway and I have well over 100 battery packs through the Non-Metal Spur Gears. First I ran the Losi 43Tooth Plastic Spur gear but my center diff support(Aluminum Post Broke)- which permit the center diff to move around and seeming consequently broke one tooth on the losi spur gear. I then modified the 44Tooth Kyosho Spur Gear to fit the Hyper 9E center diff(not fun) and I've not had any problems at all with this spur gear. Though I also at the time of putting the 44Tooth Kyosho spur gear in I also changed over to the three steel center diff post- rather than the aluminum post which tend to break and are no longer shipping with the latest Hyper 9E models. If you're running on a Clay only track with no rocks- you should be ok. But I can see how rocks could easily break the teath if you're running on a track with even small pebles or very tiny rocks. If there was someway to cover the bottom of your chassis- this would certainly help keep the rocks out of the spur gear cutout area of the chassis which right now allows rocks full access to your spur gear.

Originally Posted by vic viper View Post
Ok, Kyosho plastic spur is a no go, sure the car runs smooth and quiet as h_ll but durability?

after only 10 minutes on a flat dirt free asphalt surface a rock chipped 5 teeth on the spur.
I wonder if a plastic spur really can be trusted on the track?
Old 11-15-2010, 12:49 AM
Tech Initiate

Yes I have been thinking about this, covering that hole is no easy task as a rough landing will peel it off no matter how hard you attach something under the chassis.

Would be great with something lika a lexan "cup" that is inserted in the hole from the inside.. but I dont think that would fit with a 44T spur.
Old 11-18-2010, 12:33 PM
Tech Regular

I was rebuilding the front suspension on my hyper today and I noticed that the turnbuckles on the top front suspension arms are not titanium, they're stainless. Funny, I thought "all" of the turnbuckles were supposed to be titanium. At least that's what it said on the Nitrohouse website, box, and the instructions.
Old 11-18-2010, 01:16 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by reracer View Post
I was rebuilding the front suspension on my hyper today and I noticed that the turnbuckles on the top front suspension arms are not titanium, they're stainless. Funny, I thought "all" of the turnbuckles were supposed to be titanium. At least that's what it said on the Nitrohouse website, box, and the instructions.

How can you tell?
Old 11-18-2010, 01:27 PM
Tech Regular

[QUOTE=vic viper;8227707]How can you tell?[/QUOTE
First, they're heavy. Second, they are just slightly moved by a magnet. Stainless is not as magnetic as steel, but it does move when you put it on a flat surface and put a magnet by it. Titanium is not at all affected by a magnet, and it's much lighter.

I just did the mod using the top rear turnbuckles(yes these are titanium)in the top front arms.
Old 11-19-2010, 10:30 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default Hyper Star ?

FYI - more about the pivot ball front end (on the Nitro version though) :

http://www.cmldistribution.co.uk/new...iew=0000001627
Old 11-19-2010, 02:04 PM
Tech Regular

Steering tie rods on my car are not titanium either. This is not a guess! I actually tested them this time. It appears that only the rear upper tie rods are actually titanium.
Old 11-20-2010, 06:38 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

So what is the status of this car now that the Nexx is out? Different market (bashers vs. racers) or is the Nexx the replacement...sorry for the dumb question.
Old 11-20-2010, 07:02 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Herc Driver View Post
So what is the status of this car now that the Nexx is out? Different market (bashers vs. racers) or is the Nexx the replacement...sorry for the dumb question.

I don't see that replacing the Hyper 9E at all IMO.....
Old 11-20-2010, 10:43 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Herc Driver View Post
The nexx8 is a great buggy and is aimed as a low cost platform for 1/10 scale guys that want to use their existing 2s packs. It has tons of hop up parts too so they can upgrade as they wish. The Hyper 9E is the pure bread race machine as was demonstrated tonight. Hypers qualified and finished 123 at Reo Raceway! We are turning heads in Losi country hahaha
Old 11-21-2010, 12:09 AM

Trader Rating: 8 (83%+)

Had my 4th to last meet of the season before quitting 1/8th offroad.
It was a good night qualified 1st and finished 2nd for the night on due to hitting the wall flat out and busting a front right lower arm and servo saver.

Now sitting 2nd in championship with hyper 9e's 1,2,3,4
Only 3 races left and then retiring to go run 1/10th onroad electric

ALSO GUYS JUST A HEADS UP MOOSRACING IS NO LONGER MANUFACTORING PARTS THEY HAVE CLOSED THEIR DOORS TO EVERYONE.
Old 11-21-2010, 01:33 PM
TIF
Tech Initiate

Today I raced for the first time with the SNR Graphite upgrade parts ...
loved it.
More steering and buggy is more neutral in bumpy sections.
I can highly recommend this upgrade

Some pics

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.