Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
HoBao Hyper 9E thread >

HoBao Hyper 9E thread

HoBao Hyper 9E thread

Old 07-27-2010, 10:24 AM

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MindThoughts View Post
So, if I'm racing and use my own Personal Transponder, and use only one servo(steering) on my 1/8th scale buggy, I would want to use an external BEC, to help prevent potential glitching?

PS. If this is the case, this is consistant with what I've been reading. People having problems with glitching that an external BEC always, or almost always eliminates. Thus my original question stands. What BEC will be used, I should say; if one is to be used. That may be something Steve will or will not decide to add at a later date. If Steve wishes to chime in at any time, please do so(aka snrscion).
Well I usually don't run a BEC with my MMP but I do run a capacitor so my PT will work properly. Without the capacitor my PT tend to miss count laps.
Old 07-27-2010, 10:42 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by snrscion View Post
Well I usually don't run a BEC with my MMP but I do run a capacitor so my PT will work properly. Without the capacitor my PT tend to miss count laps.
Oh yeah I remeber people say you can do that also.

PS: Steve, are the hypers still in customs, or when can I possibly expect mine? Thanks so much!
Old 07-27-2010, 11:51 AM
HH
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default MMP BEC

+1

I run this voltage capacitor with my MMP because it's simple. You can make your own for about $2 if you can find the right size capacitor.
http://www.shopatron.com/products/pr...=NOV5626/135.0

I prefer this version of the MMP as it has solder posts similar to the RX8.
It comes with the internal BEC removed and no fan, both of which I don't use anyway.
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ss-ESC-1S-LiPo

This is the BEC I use because it's small, lightweight, and has worked well so far.
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...Adjustable-BEC

I did have issues with glitching and my transponder missing some laps when using the standard MMP with the internal BEC.

Since I've been using the external BEC in combination with the capacitor it has worked flawlessly and I typically run 6s on outdoor dirt (Rev) setup for 20 minute mains.

I pushed it hard for 15 minutes trying to comeback from dead last this past weekend after getting hooked up with some plow donkey twice on the first lap of the A main and the car came off the track at under 130 degrees for the motor and just under 110 degrees for the MMP with no fan. I was running 6s with a T8 1400kv in "smart-sense" mode.

HH
Old 07-27-2010, 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by T4 Razer View Post
Oh yeah I remeber people say you can do that also.

PS: Steve, are the hypers still in customs, or when can I possibly expect mine? Thanks so much!
maybe today or tomorrow.
Old 07-27-2010, 12:36 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

maybe today or tomorrow.
Alright cool
Old 07-27-2010, 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by HH View Post
+1

I run this voltage capacitor with my MMP because it's simple. You can make your own for about $2 if you can find the right size capacitor.
http://www.shopatron.com/products/pr...=NOV5626/135.0

I prefer this version of the MMP as it has solder posts similar to the RX8.
It comes with the internal BEC removed and no fan, both of which I don't use anyway.
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ss-ESC-1S-LiPo

This is the BEC I use because it's small, lightweight, and has worked well so far.
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...Adjustable-BEC

I did have issues with glitching and my transponder missing some laps when using the standard MMP with the internal BEC.

Since I've been using the external BEC in combination with the capacitor it has worked flawlessly and I typically run 6s on outdoor dirt (Rev) setup for 20 minute mains.

I pushed it hard for 15 minutes trying to comeback from dead last this past weekend after getting hooked up with some plow donkey twice on the first lap of the A main and the car came off the track at under 130 degrees for the motor and just under 110 degrees for the MMP with no fan. I was running 6s with a T8 1400kv in "smart-sense" mode.

HH

WOW the MMP survived in an 1/8 scale without the fan, now that impressive.
Old 07-27-2010, 12:41 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by ronsand View Post
Can some of you guys measure the diameter (OD) of the spur gear on the center diff?
Please

Regards Ronny
Old 07-27-2010, 01:10 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 96 (99%+)

Steve...

I received a couple of the Castle BEC's at west coast raceway if you need one.
Old 07-27-2010, 03:15 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MindThoughts View Post
So, if I'm racing and use my own Personal Transponder, and use only one servo(steering) on my 1/8th scale buggy, I would want to use an external BEC, to help prevent potential glitching?

PS. If this is the case, this is consistant with what I've been reading. People having problems with glitching that an external BEC always, or almost always eliminates. Thus my original question stands. What BEC will be used, I should say; if one is to be used. That may be something Steve will or will not decide to add at a later date. If Steve wishes to chime in at any time, please do so(aka snrscion).
The internal BEC over current protection circuitry is supposedly too sensitive when powering high torque servo(s) such as the JR9100 S/T amongst others but the actual BEC is able to handle the loads. You simply need a capacitor as stated previously to get rid of voltage ripple when the over-amp protection kicks in momentarily. It's mainly an issue with 2.4 systems where they "brown out" or lose bind momentarily, so you lose servo response and throttle response for an instant.

Here's a video of my 8ight doing it (impossible to drive like this hence my bad driving... and lack of skill )
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OxMpYVaXKnw

Oh and also the ONLY Castle product I do not approve of is the CC BEC, I have had several fail on me and deliver full voltage to my servos. But your results may vary and I know of many who use them without issue.

IF ANYONE has a picture of a VE8 body on their or someone else's hyper can you please link/host/post it please! I'm trying to decide whether to do mudguards or the VE8 shell and I need to see the vertical clearance for the battery with it.

Last edited by DanielC.; 07-27-2010 at 05:21 PM.
Old 07-27-2010, 03:56 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

I was running a JR9100T serov in my 1/8 buggy using the MMP and never had a single issue with it. Transponder never had an issue or anything. never ran a cap in the Rx either. A buddy of mine was running his MMP in a 1/8 buggy and had nothing but problems with the PT and the Rx cutting out untill he put an external BEC on it. He was using a much more reasonable servo on his also. Very strange that some seem to have an issue with the internal BEC on the MMp and others do not.
Old 07-27-2010, 05:30 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)

What radio system are you using?
Old 07-27-2010, 06:54 PM
HH
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Hyper 9e with a Ve8 body

Originally Posted by supafastsupra2 View Post
Oh and also the ONLY Castle product I do not approve of is the CC BEC, I have had several fail on me and deliver full voltage to my servos. But your results may vary and I know of many who use them without issue.
Thats good to know... what BEC have you found to be the best for this type of application?

IF ANYONE has a picture of a VE8 body on their or someone else's hyper can you please link/host/post it please! I'm trying to decide whether to do mudguards or the VE8 shell and I need to see the vertical clearance for the battery with it.
I've attached a couple pics of my Hyper 9e with a Ve8 body, it fits perfect.
This car also has Tekno mudguards installed.

HH
Attached Thumbnails HoBao Hyper 9E thread-h9-ve8-18e.jpg   HoBao Hyper 9E thread-h9-ve8-1e.jpg  

Last edited by HH; 07-27-2010 at 06:59 PM. Reason: additional info
Old 07-27-2010, 06:56 PM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 268 (100%+)

main thing about the VE8 body is to confirm your trim lines before cutting.
Old 07-27-2010, 07:00 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

Shano, on the RX8 thread you stated you were running a 46T spur. Is this correct? If so how and what manufacturer? Thanks
Old 07-27-2010, 07:06 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

what about 4cell on the ve8 body. I know the stock body my 4cell wont allow the body to sit perfect.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.