Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
HoBao Hyper 9E thread >

HoBao Hyper 9E thread

HoBao Hyper 9E thread

Old 07-26-2010, 11:09 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)
Default Limitations of Carbon Fiber Chassis vs. Metal ie. Aluminum.

Originally Posted by Jube View Post
MT your ultra light, 2s setup makes perfect sense on the track you're racing. Im afraid that with the large outdoor, SX style tracks we have that neither would last long here in the midwest. I'm all for lightweight, as many know, but not at the cost of failure. I will be working with Bill at BCE to design a lightweight yet longer and better chassis for the 9E. Im still waiting for them to come off of backorder so I can get it built and on the track.

As far as your driving. I really liked your slow is fast aproach. You keepo doin what you're doin and the raw speed will come.

Thank you Jube.
as for how many cell battery you run is strictly a personal preference matter. Poeple have been racing the Matrix Concepts Carbon Fiber Chassis in the Losi 8ight-E and Losi 8 nitro buggies for the past four years. Running anything from 3cell up to 6cell. Robert's Carbon Fiber Chassis have a perfect record for not breaking. These chassis are lighter than the stock metal chassis, and have more flex than the stock aluminum. What can be done with chassis flex in the realm of carbon fiber far exceeds what can be done with aluminum. Robert has explained the intricasies of design and production to me, but I'm not educated in carbon fiber production so it was hard to grasp. it's very specialized and Robert has been working with it for 20 years in practice, and a lifetime of racing experience.

I run the 2cell lipo by choice, because it's an option now available to me with the lighter weight chassis. this carbon fiber chassis is almost one half the weight of the stock aluminum chassis, much stronger than the aluminum chassis, and has more flex. but more flex is not a limitation. it's a choice. Robert can control and has fine tuned the amount of flex and strength each carbon fiber chassis has. it's all in design. and a complete production choice. The carbon fiber of today, is not in any way what it was ten or so years ago. it's come along way.

I've run the chassis with a four cell lipo, and saw that I didn't need it for this smaller track, though everyone in my class runs four cell. it's strictly a personal preference, not a carbon fiber limitation. this carbon fiber chassis can handle any conditions an aluminum chassis can handle, and more. it's just the nature of carbon fiber. It's lighter, and stronger, and more flexible by design. that's not to say that all carbon fiber is created equal. carbon fiber comes in infinite varieties and qualities. Robert makes his own carbon fiber, and it's the absolute strongest carbon fiber he can make. I realize you have a chassis sponsor and therefore running the carbon fiber is not a choice available to you. I cannot relate to what that must mean, especially if you have any interest in what a carbon fiber chassis feels like or runs like. I also realize you will be designing and working closely with the designing of a metal or aluminum chassis with your chassis sponsor. I suppose this will mean you are in competition with all other chassis not made by your sponsor? I also guess that would mean you cannot say you like another chassis, even if you did? I do not know, I'm not sponsored and if I was, I would want the freedom to say what I feel about any product, if I like it or not, or even if I like the other product more than my own, my own in this case being who sponsored me. If you read up on Matrix Concepts Inc, you will see very quickly this is not a new company, just an experienced company making a carbon fiber chassis for a new buggy. or a new buggy that has been around for awhile, but is still new to many people. I'm very grateful that Robert of Matrix Concepts is making carbon fiber chassis, shock towers and radio trays and rear chassis braces for the Hyper 9e, if we had more companies making aftermarket parts for the Hyper 9e, we'd sure have allot of very happy Hyper 9e owners. It's clear that more and more people are adding themselves to the list of part makers for the Hyper 9e, we just have to ask. A good company to write is Fioroni, they make great drivetrain parts and it would be great if they would make some aluminum drive shafts for the Hyper 9e, front and rear. Have a great day, and If I misunderstood what you are saying about limitations, then please forgive me. It seem you were saying you can't run a four cell lipo with a carbon fiber chassis, in which case I say it's been done for four years with great results. These carbon fiber chassis are stronger than the stock aluminum chassis, nothing less. This is a performance upgrade. And people are running the Matrix Concepts Carbon Fiber Chassis all around the world under all different extreem conditions. In four years, not one chassis has broke, and all the Matrix Concepts chassis sold four years ago, are still going strong.

Robert is also offering a longer chassis as well, which will be better for longer, and larger tracks. Orders are now being placed for the stock length carbon fiber chassis, and the longer +6mm carbon fiber chassis. Great Day!

PS. when you say longer and better. I wonder what you mean by better. and when you say longer, I suppose you do not mean longer than the +6mm chassis already in production in carbon fiber? I do not know of any qualities aluminum can offer in terms of performance, that is better. Please, feel free to inlighten us. Robert has complete Control of the amount of Chassis flex designed into each carbon fiber chassis, Robert offers two versions in length, stock lenght and a +6mm longer carbon fiber chassis as well. These Carbon fiber chassis weigh almost one half the weight of the stock aluminum chassis. I do not see how you will compete with the lightweight of the carbon fiber. And the carbon fiber is also much stronger than aluminum, where aluminum will eventually bend and stay bent, the carbon fiber Robert is making will simply flex back to its original state(when bent to the same degree of the aluminum chassis). I like the idea of offering more chassis choices to Hyper 9e owners, but to say you will make a better metal chassis than carbon fiber is a very interesting challenge I believe we all are very interested to hear more about. HH is making an aluminum lightweight chassis for the Hyper 9e that is a +6mm longer than stock chassis as well, but HH has never said his chassis is better than any Carbon Fiber chassis, Though he has said it's better than the stock chassis, and maybe this is what you meant as well? please clarify, if you would.
Old 07-26-2010, 11:11 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MindThoughts View Post
That's really a great idea, I can't stop laughing right now. that's hilarious. How did you learn about that?
High school Spanish teacher gave us that tip before some presentation we had to do
Old 07-26-2010, 11:20 AM
Tech Fanatic

Default UltraLight, Ultra-Strong Hyper 9E. Does it meet ROAR Minimum Weight.

Originally Posted by snrscion View Post
Yeah I held his car in my hands it is super light I don't think it meets minimum weight.

I agree, I don't think the Hyper 9e with all carbon fiber chassis and parts meets minimum weight, so I add the weight exactly where I want it, if I were to ever race where this was a critical factor. As 1/8th scale buggies become lighter and stronger over time, ROAR can either adjust and or update their minimum weight guidlines, or people with underweight buggies will continue to add Lead(or whatever they wish) weights where they wish to. it's actually quite easy to stick a lead weight, sold at almost any hobby store, to the chassis. We use to put a bunch of weights on our rock crawlers in order to keep them on all four wheels, rather than rolling over upside down.

PS. who would think the day would come that a buggy would be to light I love it.
Old 07-26-2010, 11:23 AM
Tech Fanatic

Default Sqeeze your buttocks to relax when winning a race.

Originally Posted by supafastsupra2 View Post
High school Spanish teacher gave us that tip before some presentation we had to do
Awesome, Thank you.
Old 07-26-2010, 11:29 AM

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

I agree, I don't think the Hyper 9e with all carbon fiber chassis and parts meets minimum weight, so I add the weight exactly where I want it, if I were to ever race where this was a critical factor. As 1/8th scale buggies become lighter and stronger over time, ROAR can either adjust and or update their minimum weight guidlines, or people with underweight buggies will continue to add Lead(or whatever they wish) weights where they wish to. it's actually quite easy to stick a lead weight, sold at almost any hobby store, to the chassis. We use to put a bunch of weights on our rock crawlers in order to keep them on all four wheels, rather than rolling over upside down.

PS. who would think the day would come that a buggy would be to light I love it.

I had a lot of fun running with you Sat at WCRC we should meet their again, just let me know when.
Old 07-26-2010, 11:36 AM
Tech Fanatic

Default How to meet Minimum Weight and Complete Ultralight Setup, soon to follow.

Originally Posted by kufman View Post
Mindthoughts,

Is your buggy under weight when running a single 2S and the carbon chassis? Minimum for 1/8th is something like 7.05lbs (3200g).
I think if I put the three cell 5200mah thunder power lipo back in, it would probably be right on the weight minimum, which is the battery I would use on any larger track. that or I could always drop the much heavier Losi Xcelorin 2100kv or even the Castle 2650kv motor back in, this would definitely bring the weight back up to minimum. no doubt about it. in fact, this is what I would do, rather than add the lead weights. that just wouldn't make any sense. I'm running the optimum setup for the track I run at, that's the beauty of haveing an ultralight buggy, it gives you more choices. it's not a limitation. choices free you from limitations. quite a simple concepts really.

Originally Posted by intense82 View Post
Mindthoughts,
Can you post the whole setup of your Hyper 9 (diff oil, shocks setup, arm, toe in F/R, squat, shocks fixing hubs, ..) ?
Thank you
sure I will. give me some time to write everything down for you. I'll post this up as soon as I can. no problem at all. Thank you for asking. Have a great day
Old 07-26-2010, 11:44 AM
Tech Fanatic

I had a lot of fun running with you Sat at WCRC we should meet their again, just let me know when.
You got it buddy, that was by far the most fun I have ever had during pratice racing. You and I were running laps around everyone. That was totally awesome Steve. You Are Awesome, man. we will difinitely do that again. I will let you know when I'll be there again and we'll throw down some serious laps again. What a Blast

PS. It was so fun taking turns in the lead, back and fourth, back and fourth, you then I, you lead than I lead. wow what fun that was. that's really what this hobby is all about. having fun, and taking turns in the lead. Thank you for that buddy. You made my day. I think you know that. You saw me jumping around with excitement and all, Yeah it was kinda obvious I was having allot of fun. I can hardly wait to do that again.
Old 07-26-2010, 12:31 PM

You got it buddy, that was by far the most fun I have ever had during pratice racing. You and I were running laps around everyone. That was totally awesome Steve. You Are Awesome, man. we will difinitely do that again. I will let you know when I'll be there again and we'll throw down some serious laps again. What a Blast

PS. It was so fun taking turns in the lead, back and fourth, back and fourth, you then I, you lead than I lead. wow what fun that was. that's really what this hobby is all about. having fun, and taking turns in the lead. Thank you for that buddy. You made my day. I think you know that. You saw me jumping around with excitement and all, Yeah it was kinda obvious I was having allot of fun. I can hardly wait to do that again.
Next time I got some new motor and esc I want to try from castle to tame the beast a little. Hopefully I can keep up with you.
Old 07-26-2010, 12:45 PM
Tech Fanatic

Next time I got some new motor and esc I want to try from castle to tame the beast a little. Hopefully I can keep up with you.

You got it bud. I'll have my three cell on standby just in case I need the extra volts to keep up with you. Either way, I'll be ready for you. I like Castle Creations, they make some serious quality products. It's the only company I know of where the Engineers run the company and control every aspect of the testing and sale of their products, that's complete quality control, they're not perfect, but I believe them to be one of the very best, and on the very top of the list of reliability. I also like that they work very closely with Steve Nue, who I believe to be one of the finest motor designers in the world. Let me guess, are you going to run the Mamba Max Pro ESC? and the 1800kv 1512 1Y motor? or is this a secret you will not tell? Tame the Beast, I like that.
Old 07-26-2010, 02:45 PM

You got it bud. I'll have my three cell on standby just in case I need the extra volts to keep up with you. Either way, I'll be ready for you. I like Castle Creations, they make some serious quality products. It's the only company I know of where the Engineers run the company and control every aspect of the testing and sale of their products, that's complete quality control, they're not perfect, but I believe them to be one of the very best, and on the very top of the list of reliability. I also like that they work very closely with Steve Nue, who I believe to be one of the finest motor designers in the world. Let me guess, are you going to run the Mamba Max Pro ESC? and the 1800kv 1512 1Y motor? or is this a secret you will not tell? Tame the Beast, I like that.
You read my mind that exactly what I am going to try. That will shed a lot of weight right their.
Old 07-26-2010, 05:01 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

Ok you definately misunderstood what I was saying. When I said longer and better I was not referring to in comparison with carbon fiber it was in direct comparison to the factory chassis. I also did not mean that the carbon fiber could only be ran with a 2s setup. I meant the lightweight setup you are running is perfect forth small 1/10 scale style track your videos show. I never in anyway have or will compare nor talk negatively about the carbon fiber chassis. I have seen the matrix stuff first hand and it is quality. I was only comparing the style of tracks that I run on to the one your video shows. My local home track is 230' x 150' with minimum of 14' wide lanes. This is a direct comparison to the Nitro Pit.
I was simply stating my experiences just as you are. Nothing personal nor negative. I truly enjoy reading and learning from you guys that have experimented with this buggy.
Old 07-26-2010, 08:30 PM
Tech Fanatic

Default More Performance Upgrade Choices, and Dialogue Clarification.

Originally Posted by Jube View Post
Ok you definately misunderstood what I was saying. When I said longer and better I was not referring to in comparison with carbon fiber it was in direct comparison to the factory chassis. I also did not mean that the carbon fiber could only be ran with a 2s setup. I meant the lightweight setup you are running is perfect forth small 1/10 scale style track your videos show. I never in anyway have or will compare nor talk negatively about the carbon fiber chassis. I have seen the matrix stuff first hand and it is quality. I was only comparing the style of tracks that I run on to the one your video shows. My local home track is 230' x 150' with minimum of 14' wide lanes. This is a direct comparison to the Nitro Pit.
I was simply stating my experiences just as you are. Nothing personal nor negative. I truly enjoy reading and learning from you guys that have experimented with this buggy.
Right on Jube, thank you for clarifying. I understand now. I look forward to also running and racing with this new chassis once it's available(I know it would make many racers happy if you would also offer a two battery box(one on each side of the buggy) configuration(as one more choice in addition to the single battery box we all now use) And I'm very happy to hear and see more choices available to Hyper 9e owners and racers. I hope you will accept my apology, I can see I completely misunderstood you. Have a great day, and please thank the Higher Ups at BCE for offering H9E Racers even more performance upgrade choices. I'm very excited to race with the latest and greatest technologies available for my favorite buggy. And I welcome you to the world of the Hyper 9E, I to use to run the Losi 8ight-E. And now as you know, I switched to the Hyper 9E, as it seems you to have done, or are in transition of doing. You had mention setup tips and tricks for the Hyper 9E(in an email to me). I'm working on a complete list of everything I have done to my Hyper 9E, including setup and all oils used. I'm happy to share this information with everyone here. Have a great day Jube. And please do keep in contact. You already have my direct email, but if our discussions could be of value to racers and beginers alike, let's keep the dialogue on this thread. Thank you in advance.
Old 07-26-2010, 08:48 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default Elite H9E motor mount BACK IN STOCK!

Hey Guys..

The H9E motor mount is FINALLY back in stock..
available for purchase at www.Elitercd.com
Old 07-26-2010, 09:02 PM
Tech Fanatic

Default Mamba Max Pro ESC And Castle Creations 1512 1Y 1800kv Nue/Castle Motor.

You read my mind that exactly what I am going to try. That will shed a lot of weight right their.
Excellent Steve. That's a very good speed control, and it's nice that Castle respond to customer demand for a motor with more useable power for racing purposes. And you will most certainly be lighter than your previous motor and esc combination. Which BEC will you use? And where will(or have you) place your BEC? I know it's quite small, and I do wonder if you can fit the ESC and BEC side by side.

PS. The new Layout will be complete tomorrow(Tuesday). I should be there by 3:30pm. West Coast RC Raceway. I'll be there for sure. Are you available for some laps again? I may also go to the track this weekend, maybe Saturday. Let me know if you can make it one or both of these days. I look forward to our competetive practice laps again, soon-hopefully.
Old 07-26-2010, 09:07 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Excellent Steve. That's a very good speed control, and it's nice that Castle respond to customer demand for a motor with more useable power for racing purposes. And you will most certainly be lighter than your previous motor and esc combination. Which BEC will you use? And where will(or have you) place your BEC? I know it's quite small, and I do wonder if you can fit the ESC and BEC side by side.

PS. The new Layout will be complete tomorrow(Tuesday). I should be there by 3:30pm. West Coast RC Raceway. I'll be there for sure. Are you available for some laps again? I may also go to the track this weekend, maybe Saturday. Let me know if you can make it one or both of these days. I look forward to our competetive practice laps again, soon-hopefully.
You do not need a bec unless you are running two servos or a pt. What are you going to run tomorrow cause i think Danny said no 8th scales till wed. if i recall the thread right.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.