Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
HoBao Hyper 9E thread >

HoBao Hyper 9E thread

HoBao Hyper 9E thread

Old 07-18-2010, 08:57 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by airboy808
Got my 9e coming and planning on Matrix'ing my car. As well as doing other lightening mods. But my challenge has been what motor/esc to pick up for this new lightweight machine.

I have the following motors / esc combos:
-MMM/2650kv
-MMM/2200kv
-Orion Vortex8/2050kv

I got some 2s lipos that I run as 4s and ready to order some turnigy batteries.

I want to make my 9e lighter so I know my current combos are not the lightest set-ups. I think a new combo will help me get my car lighter. Here are the three combos I am thinking of:

-Tekin 1400kv with a MMM and 2200mah 6s
-Tekin 1400kv with a MMP and 2200mah 6s
-550 canned SC truck combo (figured the buggy would be so light)

Thanks in advance.
I am hoping mine arrives tomorrow. Although I will not be doing the carbon stuff at least right now. I am going with the 2650 motor since I already had the mamba monster and one of those new turnigy nanotech 3s 5000 which are supposed to last about 3 times longer than normal lipos. It is a little more reliable than the tekin and customer service is fantastic. The Tekin is getting better I have heard though. I havent heard anything about the Orion stuff. I am also doing the tekno mudguard mod.

I will take pictures for you Mindthoughts when im done haha.

Last edited by T4 Razer; 07-18-2010 at 09:16 PM.
Old 07-18-2010, 09:11 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)
Default Hyper 9e Powered by Steve Nue 1409 1Y 3600kv with 2cell LiPo and 12T Pinion 43T Spur.

Originally Posted by airboy808
Got my 9e coming and planning on Matrix'ing my car. As well as doing other lightening mods. But my challenge has been what motor/esc to pick up for this new lightweight machine.

I have the following motors / esc combos:
-MMM/2650kv
-MMM/2200kv
-Orion Vortex8/2050kv

I got some 2s lipos that I run as 4s and ready to order some turnigy batteries.

I want to make my 9e lighter so I know my current combos are not the lightest set-ups. I think a new combo will help me get my car lighter. Here are the three combos I am thinking of:

-Tekin 1400kv with a MMM and 2200mah 6s
-Tekin 1400kv with a MMP and 2200mah 6s
-550 canned SC truck combo (figured the buggy would be so light)

Thanks in advance.

This is exactly what I'm doing. I'm going to test my Steve Nue(8 week order time frame) 1409 1Y 3600kv motor. This motor was Tested by Castle Creations and is said to be the Ideal motor for the Traxxas Slash 4x4, said two techs at Castle Creations Tech support. I asked what is the smallest and lightest motor I can run in my Hyper 9e and still be super fast and have race competitive speed. They initially suggest the 1512 1Y. Then I asked about the new line of 1400 series motors. Then Castle Tech support said the 1412 will work fine as well. Then I asked about the 1409 1Y. Bernie or Greg(I forget which one I spoke with about this), confirmed with Thomas in Tech Support, and they all agreed I can run the 1409 1Y with the Hyper 9e with the Mamba Monster ESC, but will need a 12 or 13tooth pinion gear to start out with. and the Stock Hyper 9e should be extreemly fast with a 2cell LiPo. Castle made it clear they have not tested this motor in any 1/8th scale and I said that's ok, I'll let them know how it does. Though they did agree that theoretically, the Hyper 9e should have no problems with heat and should be very fast on a two cell, but this motor also can handle the RPM of a 3cell Lipo, or even a 4cell LiPo as well, if ever needed. My goal is to try this motor with a two cell LiPo first and see how it does. The Matrix carbon fiber kit certainly will allow the motor to pull the buggy even easier then when the buggy had the much heavier aluminum chassis, shock towers and other parts as well. I will post my complete experience of tomorrows test runs with the Matrix 9E Pro carbon fiber kit and Nue 1409 1Y motor on 2cell 50c 5200mah LiPo- or 3cell if needed.

PS. I successfully bent the front and rear sway bars, very carefully with a tube bender and vice and lot's of measuring, and the sway bars no longer rub against the front nor rear Drive Shaft Dust Boots. I will also report on how tomorrows test run affects the dust boots, if at all. And thank you for all the driving tips, I can't wait to apply all these new driving techniques that shano and kman shared with me on my you tube video. Thank's shano and kman. I wonder if someone has started a thread on RCtech talking about driving tips and tricks, and also what not to do. Anyone know?

PPS. When I use to run at OCRC raceway in Huntington Beach CA, I took a class that showed all of us how to become better RC racers. it was an awesome class. I learned allot from Jeremy the announcer, he was our Instructor. And though most of what I learned in the class, I may have already known, I still learned more about things I thought I had already completely understood, and also learned new racing technique that was quite fun to apply to racing. Has anyone here heard of any other RC race classes offered, or has anyone here taken RC race classes?
Old 07-18-2010, 09:18 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by MindThoughts
PPS. When I use to run at OCRC raceway in Huntington Beach CA, I took a class that showed all of us how to become better RC racers. it was an awesome class. I learned allot from Jeremy the announcer, he was our Instructor. And though most of what I learned in the class, I may have already known, I still learned more about things I thought I had already completely understood, and also learned new racing technique that was quite fun to apply to racing. Has anyone here heard of any other RC race classes offered, or has anyone here taken RC race classes?
I went to that class once. I wanted to go more but always interfered with school. I think they told people how to be calm and other stuff and how to know what your car is doing and how to make it better.
Old 07-18-2010, 09:21 PM
Tech Fanatic

Default Shano's You Tube Race Video Link.

Originally Posted by shano83
Here is the link to the video
shano's race, Link:-)

Great Racing shano. Your Hyper 9e is super fast on that straight away long turn to camera left. And that wall ride turn is absolutely awesome. You did a great job. I can't believe you beat allot of sponsored racers. Maybe time for you to pick up a sponsor?

Link to Race:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPeehzp91eI
Old 07-18-2010, 09:32 PM
Tech Fanatic

Default Slower is Faster :-)

Originally Posted by T4 Razer
I went to that class once. I wanted to go more but always interfered with school. I think they told people how to be calm and other stuff and how to know what your car is doing and how to make it better.

One of the most important things I learned was, "Slower is Faster". Often times the instructer would have people follow my buggy around the track, some students were just starting out in the hobby. You'd see them fly by my buggy and end up in the wall every time.

It was also super cool to see how turning the front wheels in the air can make the RC lean left or right, and different ways to control the RC in the air to line yourself up for the next turn. Sometimes landing inches before the next turn but all lined up for that turn perfectly. I have almost as much fun racing, as I do watching a really great racer run their buggy around the track with style. It's amazing what people can make these remote control buggies do. Practice is definitely one of the greatest teachers, that's for sure.

But yes, allot of it was about staying focused and calm. allot of building shocks and replacing parts on the RC's. But most of all, it was almost all about track time. The track was open for the students only and the instructor who had a lifetime of racing experience shared everything he knew with us. It was kinda cool. Would have been awesome to record all the classes and make the dialogue into a book. Lots of history about the RC industry is not in any books. Not that I know of.
Old 07-18-2010, 11:31 PM
Tech Adept

im thinking of getting this buggy as my first buggy since i want to race. do i need to upgrade it or is it race worthy out of the box? in what way is it better than rc8e?
Old 07-18-2010, 11:44 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)
Default hyper 9e

The hyper already comes prebuilt unlike the rc8e so you have to build it(I like building)it accelerates faster and smoother because the diff is moved to the back sending power to one side at a time so it eases into the throttle,It's lighter,and best part of all IT CAN'T BE TURNED BACK TO NITRO BECAUSE IT WAS MADE TO EXCEL WITH E-POWER.The rc8e handles nice but breaks too easily,heavier,not as agile or nimble,taller gear ratio's in the diffs make it accelerate slower,and harder to work on.To sum it up buy the hyper 9e and use the new castle 1800kv motor with a mamba monster esc on 4s lipo and prepare to dominate.
Old 07-18-2010, 11:46 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by nw2rc
im thinking of getting this buggy as my first buggy since i want to race. do i need to upgrade it or is it race worthy out of the box? in what way is it better than rc8e?
You do not need to upgrade anything unless you want to. It is fine out of the box. Some people like to do the tekno mudguard mod because the stock body has a space between it and the chassis. With the mudguards you can use velcro to secure the body.

http://www.teknorc.com/product_info....a275a34d2d6ab7
Old 07-18-2010, 11:50 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)

+1, should be getting them when i order the carbon fiber chassis from matrix concepts.
Old 07-19-2010, 03:26 AM

Trader Rating: 8 (83%+)

Hey guys I just installed my returned tekin rx8 esc in my buggy and decided to do abit of wire neatness stuff.
What i used was a piece of straight wire, an eletrical eyelet thing (shaped like a circle with an area to crimp wire on to) and heatshrink.

All i did was flare out wide enough the electrical eyelet where you crimp wire into it so you can crimp with pliers the wire rod in it, then i soldered the wire rod to the eyelet so it wont come out and then added heatshrink to the wire rod so nothing shorts. Then all you need to do after is find a location to place the rod with eyelet on it undo the screw and screw the rod to the chassi and bend the rod to what ever shape and etc as desired.

Here are some pics
Attached Thumbnails HoBao Hyper 9E thread-imgp1366.jpg   HoBao Hyper 9E thread-imgp1367.jpg   HoBao Hyper 9E thread-imgp1368.jpg  
Old 07-19-2010, 04:19 AM
Tech Initiate

nice work shano, that thing looks better and better everytime i see it, makes me think that once im finished this championship im gonna have to do something with mine
Old 07-19-2010, 04:42 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by shano83
Hey guys I just installed my returned tekin rx8 esc in my buggy and decided to do abit of wire neatness stuff ....
I think the RX8 fan is mounted on the wrong way: the label must be down, under the fan.
Old 07-19-2010, 05:21 AM

Trader Rating: 8 (83%+)

Originally Posted by tail gator
nice work shano, that thing looks better and better everytime i see it, makes me think that once im finished this championship im gonna have to do something with mine
Hey champ i think you should.And you never know i might be able to help
I might need to borrow ya 6 cell im in the need to see how fast i can go
Hey you heading out This sat im thinking bout it so i can setup the rx8
Old 07-19-2010, 06:18 AM
Tech Adept

ohman, i still cant decide if i should buy this or not. it seems great but i don't have much money i mean i can afford it but i just dont want to regret it if i do invest in this buggy. i'm also thinking of the caster 1.5 since it seems to be fully upgraded out of the box..
Old 07-19-2010, 07:06 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)

took 2nd place yesterday against some stiff competition car was good ...xray springs fit on the 17's to give more tuning options

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.