Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
HoBao Hyper 9E thread >

HoBao Hyper 9E thread

HoBao Hyper 9E thread

Old 07-05-2010, 07:31 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by MindThoughts View Post
SnopMaxx, That's a really awesome buggy. I don't recall the Hyper 7 having the layout resembling the hyper 9e, in terms of the center diff being near the back of the buggy, and the one piece center drive shaft. No it doesn't
Did you make these modifications yourself?
Yes I did

Do you have any pictures of the process of this transformation, and also, can you please list all the parts you bought or made to make this seeming Hyper 9e adaptation-at least insofar as the general layout is concerned.
Custom parts:
front and rear dogbone silver soldered to a 6mm stainless tube
Tub Chassis 6061 T6
Alloy motor mount
Nylon Rear bulk head
Centrer spine
Receiver box
Servo mount

This is a sweet looking setup. My understanding is that you moved the center diff to the rear of the buggy.
I'm curious what you used to connect the center diff to the rear diff.
A really really long dogbone

A really short Dogbone

What size set screws hold your center drive shaft, or drive cups in place. 2mm 3mm or 4mm? standard drive cup

Any information you can share will be awesome. I really like what you've done here. This would be a vary valuable thread to share with Hyper 7 owners. This is a significant improvement over any drive train that still uses the two separate drive shafts placing the center diff in the middle or near the middle of the chassis.

Is this a design you created before the Hyper 9e came out? The tub is made after the 9E came out
what gave you the idea to do this(drivetrain layout). I love how clean and simple your center drive shaft looks. Definitely reminds me of the Hyper 9e. What material is the center drive shaft made of? is the center drive shaft from a Hyper 9e? who made your parts for you?
I did

Did you have to weld anything?
my ..... is not done yet

Did anyone do machining work for you?
Everything is made by hand However I am a machinist and fabricator
Thank you and I look forward to hearing from you. Please tell me/us as much as you can about Your Hyper 7 modification. Job Well Done. Great Work SnoopMaxx.

Thanks MT
What motivated me ?
I knew I could build a better 1/8th chassis and I borrowed many idea's from my TC3 and RC10 And later on the Hyper 9E
I wanted the weight further in and that was only possible with a setup similar to the TC3
I planed this b4 the 9E was released but
didn't get it finished until a month ago

Every section can be removed separately like motor mount and centre diff

More Photos :
Standard chassis (looks messy)

Extended 55mm to 375 mm WB (still a little messy )

Version 4 WB 332mm Rear a-Arms reversed and shocks moved forward

Traxxas receiver box

I hope this answers all your questions

Morten
Old 07-05-2010, 10:24 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)
Default Thank you SnoopMaxx. Also, Hyper 9e Updates and I Ordered My Second Hyper 9e :-)

Thank you for answering all my questions SnoopMaxx. And All those pictures you posted of your old, and now futuristic looking Hyper 7, is truly an achievment. Your buggy looks clean, rather than messy and cluttered, and also looks like it's better balanced as well, and therfore looks like it handles better. Truley outstanding.

PS. I called Nitro House a few moments ago and JT confirmed with Tim Bump that all the Hyper 9e 1/8th Scale Buggies they sell now and have for some time shipped with the latest Version #3 Front Arms, and also the Updated Bulkheads, front and rear, that now accept Dust Boots. This was a running change which means the part number remains the same, and both the Updated Bulkheads And the New Stronger front Arms Began Shipping Four Months Ago. Though some older kits may still be out there and the only way to know is to call Ofna and they can tell you how to check the arms. I did not confirm this but believe there to be a visual difference in each newer version of the front arms. ie V1, V2 and V3 may have slight visual differences. Over the weekend I broke open my piggy bank and found I had saved enough change to buy myself another Hyper 9e. I reflected upon the other models now available, and soon to be released, ie. Tamiya 1/8th scale buggy included; and quickly came to the conclusion that the only buggy I could like more than the Hyper 9e, is a lighter, stronger Hyper 9e. And thus my order was placed. I found that A Main Hobbies had a few Hyper 9e Buggies remaining so I did not hesitate to place my order. I also ordered the blue springs, and Achermen steering adjustment set as well(I run the medium or long achermen; It makes steering super sweet).
Old 07-05-2010, 04:49 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Thought I'd post a pic of my carbon fiber drive shaft.

It was simple to make. Take a front or rear center shaft from a Jammin X2 http://www.nitrohouse.com/catalog/pr...ducts_id=12606 or a center shaft from a Hyper 9 nitro http://www.nitrohouse.com/catalog/pr...ducts_id=21761 and cut it in half. Then epoxy the two pieces into the ends of some carbon fiber tubing.

Total weight was 28 grams, which is 1 gram less than stock.

I'll let you know how testing goes.
Attached Thumbnails HoBao Hyper 9E thread-picture-15.jpg  
Old 07-06-2010, 01:47 AM
Tech Fanatic

Default Hyper 9e Carbon Fiber Drive Shafts. How to make your own.

reracer-
Your hyper 9e, custom made carbon fiber drive shaft is absolutely awesome.
where did you buy the carbon fiber tubing? What diameter tubing are you using(and what is the overal length of your new center drive shaft)? Do your steel drive shafts fit snug inside the carbon fiber tubing? And how much length did you slide inside each end of the carbon fiber tube/drive shaft. Aside from the epoxy(what's the brand name of the epoxy you used?) are you using anything else to prevent the new inner steel universal from braking loose from the outer carbon fiber shell?

Also, do you believe this technique can be used for the two front and two rear drive shafts on the Hyper 9e, and or any and all RC's?

Great Work reracer. Every gram of weight reduction counts. Plus, I believe a carbon fiber drive shaft will reduce vibration and smooth out your drive train. Are you going to make front and rear drive shafts as well?

PS. I like how you chose to use the Universal drive shaft on the front, rather than the 3mm drive pin(dog bone) that ships with the Hyper 9e. snrscion had mention this modification smoothes out the drivetrain(smoother acceleration) and also makes the buggy even more quiet. I would love to make one of these carbon fiber center drive shafts with front universal, for my Hyper 9e. Please let us know how this drive shaft performs on the track. And if it ever breaks loose from the epoxy. Thanks a million reracer. Please continue to post any and all parts you make and have made, for your Hyper 9e. This idea of yours is truly awesome. And thank you for the links and the great picture.

Originally Posted by reracer View Post
Thought I'd post a pic of my carbon fiber drive shaft.

It was simple to make. Take a front or rear center shaft from a Jammin X2 http://www.nitrohouse.com/catalog/pr...ducts_id=12606 or a center shaft from a Hyper 9 nitro http://www.nitrohouse.com/catalog/pr...ducts_id=21761 and cut it in half. Then epoxy the two pieces into the ends of some carbon fiber tubing.

Total weight was 28 grams, which is 1 gram less than stock.

I'll let you know how testing goes.
Old 07-06-2010, 02:28 AM

Trader Rating: 8 (83%+)

Hey mind i liked the idea of this and went searching for somewhere to get a cf rod i found this http://www.hobbyparts.com.au/store/c.../carbon+fibre/

reracer-
where did you buy the carbon fiber tubing? What diameter tubing are you using(and what is the overal length of your new center drive shaft)? Do your steel drive shafts fit snug inside the carbon fiber tubing? And how much length did you slide inside each end of the carbon fiber tube/drive shaft. Aside from the epoxy(what's the brand name of the epoxy you used?) are you using anything else to prevent the new inner steel universal from braking loose from the outer carbon fiber shell?

Also, do you believe this technique can be used for the two front and two rear drive shafts on the Hyper 9e, and or any and all RC's?

Great Work reracer. Every gram of weight reduction counts. Plus, I believe a carbon fiber drive shaft will reduce vibration and smooth out your drive train. Are you going to make front and rear drive shafts as well?

PS. I like how you chose to use the Universal drive shaft on the front, rather than the 3mm drive pin(dog bone) that ships with the Hyper 9e. snrscion had mention this modification smoothes out the drivetrain(smoother acceleration) and also makes the buggy even more quiet. I would love to make one of these carbon fiber center drive shafts with front universal, for my Hyper 9e. Please let us know how this drive shaft performs on the track. And if it ever breaks loose from the epoxy. Thanks a million reracer. Please continue to post any and all parts you make and have made, for your Hyper 9e. This idea of yours is truly awesome. And thank you for the links and the great picture.
Old 07-06-2010, 05:39 AM
Tech Fanatic

Default Carbon Fiber Tube to make carbon fiber drive shafts. Would like CF body color advice.

Thank you for this information shano. I also like this idea of making our own carbon fiber drive shafts. This is the reason I asked so many detailed and very specific questions. These measurements and supply brand names and other assembly data will certainly take allot of the guesswork out of the equation. I do not like to experiment with expensive materials, unless I have no other choices avaiable to me. At this point in time, I believe we would both be wise to accept any and all advice from reracer because he has made a working carbon fiber center drive shaft which includes the "Universal" upgrade all in one piece. Reracers work shows excellent insight and a wealth of experience. I look forward to hopefully hearing more from reracer regarding measurements and brand and type of epoxy used. And also if anything was done to either inserted shaft to help prevent that inner shaft from breaking free from the carbon fiber outer shell.

PS. Shano- if you, and or anyone proceeds with this carbon fiber, and universal modification, please take pictures of each step, stage of the process and share those pictures here on this thread. Thank you in advance. And thank you for the link shano.

PPS. Shano, what do you think about a green carbon fiber body for my green Hyper 9e. I really like the black carbon fiber look but black has always proven to be difficult to see on the track, or at least not as easy to see as brighter colors. You could even order a red carbon body to match your chassis, side guards and radio tray. Ordinarily I'm not a fan of green, but green carbon fiber is certainly not an ordinary look, especially when it's a green and black carbon fiber/Kevlar weave. I will take many pictures of my carbon fiber Hyper 9e bodies when I recieve them. And if you or anyone has any carbon fiber body- color suggestions, please let me know. I plan to practice and race with these carbon fiber bodies.

Originally Posted by shano83 View Post
Hey mind i liked the idea of this and went searching for somewhere to get a cf rod i found this http://www.hobbyparts.com.au/store/c.../carbon+fibre/
Old 07-06-2010, 10:25 AM
Tech Regular

reracer-

I got the tubing from Dragonplate.com. Size is .254OD x .158ID x 24", and it's made in the USA. You get enough to make about 3 center drive shafts for about $17 shipped.

I cut the Jammin shaft to about .750" length and made bi-directional groves in the steel for the epoxy to grab onto. You have to turn down the diameter of the sheel shaft to about .150", which gives you about .004" clearance all around the shaft for good epoxy thickness.

For the epoxy I'm using good old JB weld. I did a little research and testing, and found that the bond is just about as good as it gets, unless you work for NASA.

I dont think you could use this or any other technique to make the shafts for the wheels. Carbon fiber isn't the best choice for these because I don't think it will take the shock load. Keep in mind that the center shaft has two fluid filled diffs to act as shock absorbers. This coupled with the lack of 100% traction on dirt may allow the CF center shaft to survive(time will tell).
Old 07-06-2010, 10:37 AM
Tech Fanatic

Default Carbon Fiber Drive Shaft. How to make your own.

I got the tubing from Dragonplate.com. Size is .254OD x .154ID x 24", and it's made in the USA. You get enough to make about 3 center drive shafts for about $17 shipped.

I cut the Jammin shaft to about .750" length and made bi-directional groves in the steel for the epoxy to grab onto. You have to turn down the diameter of the sheel shaft to about .150", which gives you about .002" clearance all around the shaft for good epoxy thickness.

For the epoxy I'm using good old JB weld. I did a little research and testing, and found that the bond is just about as good as it gets, unless you work for NASA.

I dont think you could use this or any other technique to make the shafts for the wheels. Carbon fiber isn't the best choice for these because I don't think it will take the shock load. Keep in mind that the center shaft has two fluid filled diffs to act as shock absorbers. This coupled with the lack of 100% traction on dirt may allow the CF center shaft to survive(time will tell).

reracer-
Thank you for all this information, I really appreciate it. I understand what you mean by the differentials acting as shock absorbers for the center drive shaft.

Last edited by MindThoughts; 07-06-2010 at 06:57 PM.
Old 07-07-2010, 09:57 AM
Tech Addict

Thank you for answering all my questions SnoopMaxx. And All those pictures you posted of your old, and now futuristic looking Hyper 7, is truly an achievement. Your buggy looks clean, rather than messy and cluttered, and also looks like it's better balanced as well, and therefore looks like it handles better. Truly outstanding.
No thank you MT
Here's a video of my Hyper 7 My Kids Driving
They are using a single 7,2v batt compared to the 2 x 7,2v I use
Old 07-07-2010, 03:36 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

I'm interested to hear how the CF center shaft holds up. CF isnt exactly an ideal choice for a torsional load. But if it works Thats awesome! I'm actually surprised that somebody hasn't come out with an aftermarket center drive shaft with a CVD on one end already. Seems like a no brainier that would sell to every 9E owner.
Old 07-07-2010, 03:52 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by jhautz View Post
I'm interested to hear how the CF center shaft holds up. CF isnt exactly an ideal choice for a torsional load. But if it works Thats awesome! I'm actually surprised that somebody hasn't come out with an aftermarket center drive shaft with a CVD on one end already. Seems like a no brainier that would sell to every 9E owner.
I would have preferred something other than the pultruded tube, but it's all that's out there for this size tubing. The CF drive shafts they make for full size race cars are spiral wound, but I would have to have a lathe and 4 hands to make this type of tubing in such a small size.
Old 07-07-2010, 03:55 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jhautz View Post
AE made carbon center shafts for their TC3 and TC4 onroad sedans. They seemed to hold up ok. I haven't seen them used in offroad much except for the Tenth Tech Predator.
Old 07-08-2010, 09:56 AM
Tech Fanatic

Default Steel vs. Aluminum, and (no brainer) CVD vs. Universal vs. 3mm Drive Pin/DogBone

Hi reracer-
I'm having a carbon fiber center drive shaft made as well for my Hyper 9e. It will also have the universal in front and the original aluminum dogbone in the rear, with most or almost all of the Tube between them being carbon fiber. Though I prefer to use as flexible a carbon fiber material as is possible, I believe it's the little bit of flex, that will add to the overall strength of the carbon fiber center drive shaft.

Out of all the technologies available for drive shafts transfering the power to the wheels, I prefer the universal, at least for the front of the center drive shaft. I will be happy if I never have to tighten or loosen, nor locktight another cvd set screw. I do not miss the headaches my Losi 8ight-E front center cvd drive shaft set screw caused me, and many others at the track. I've not completed many races for reasons related to the cvd set screw comming lose, even when using the proper locktight, although I would run the buggy all day for practice before the race, and maybe the cvd needed more maintnence and upkeep, than I was giving it. Maybe if there was a new type of cvd that used a much larger set screw, say 4mm minimum, and this new cvd design did not wear on the shaft(the cvd wears on the shaft) but rather kept the wearing parts between the drive pins and outdrives, I would certainly try it. Otherwise, the original dogbone design on our Hyper 9e, is quite simple, extreemly low cost(apx $17.oo dollarts), and this system keeps the wearing parts between the replaceable drive pin, and the outdrive. And zero wear to the aluminum shaft itself. And the only reason the front part of the center drive shaft- drive pin and coresponding outdrive wear at all, is because the chassis kickup sends the center drive shaft- front diff-outdrive/diff, exiting the front bulkhead at the same angle the chassis kickup is at. Notice the other end of the center drive shaft(where the center drive shaft enters the center diff) yields almost zero wear on the drive shaft- drive pin, and outdrive. Because the angle between the center drive shaft and the center diff-outdrive is zero, or nonexistent. This combined with a small spring put in each end of the center drive shafts drive cups, would also prevent the center drive shaft from sliding forward and back, but rather help keep it centered.

reracer-
Why did you choose to use the steel dogbone in the rear of your new carbon fiber center drive shaft, rather than the original aluminum, I'm refering to the small amount of shaft that holds the 3mm Drive Pin, and also slides inside the new Carbon Fiber tubeshaft. This would reduce even more weight, I believe.

By the way, to see people modifying and improving their Race Buggies, to me- is equally as exciting as racing. I hope everyone will continue to post up their Hyper 9e performance upgrades, pictures of parts made, and stories and updates of handling changes and reliability and strength of parts made or bought.

I would have preferred something other than the pultruded tube, but it's all that's out there for this size tubing. The CF drive shafts they make for full size race cars are spiral wound, but I would have to have a lathe and 4 hands to make this type of tubing in such a small size.
Old 07-08-2010, 05:48 PM
Tech Regular

Good news, the carbon fiber drive shaft survived the first test(on-road w/slicks). I was actually amazed that it didn't blow apart. Two full packs of hard throttle to full brake didn't phase it.

I'm gonna race on it a couple of times, then I might consider selling them to people who can't or don't want to make their own.

MT, I chose to use the steel dog bone end because it's stronger. Once you turn down the diameter of the aluminum shaft to fit inside the CF tube it's not going to be able to withstand the torsional load. It will likely fail right at the transition between the thicker ball end and where the shaft starts.
Old 07-08-2010, 06:05 PM
Tech Fanatic

Default May we have an idea of price for the ReRacer Carbon Fiber Center Drive Shaft for H9E.

Thank you for the update reracer,
and for the information regarding my question to you.

By the way, may I have an idea of what you may ask for these carbon fiber drive shafts, maybe a price range of what you believe you may ask. I know it may be hard to formulate an idea of what you may charge, but I do wish to have an idea. Is it to soon to ask, or can we have an idea of what these carbon fiber center drive shafts for the Hyper 9e may sell for?

I believe by the way, we are talking about the Universal front, and dog bone rear variety.

PS. Congratulations on your first test run. It must be exciting to create these new parts and see them work so well. Do you notice any difference in sound of the drivetrain, is the buggy any smoother from takeoff to full speed? please talk about any difference you notice from the stock aluminum center drive shaft. Thank you for sharing this experience with us. This is completely awesome.

Good news, the carbon fiber drive shaft survived the first test(on-road w/slicks). I was actually amazed that it didn't blow apart. Two full packs of hard throttle to full brake didn't phase it.

I'm gonna race on it a couple of times, then I might consider selling them to people who can't or don't want to make their own.

MT, I chose to use the steel dog bone end because it's stronger. Once you turn down the diameter of the aluminum shaft to fit inside the CF tube it's not going to be able to withstand the torsional load. It will likely fail right at the transition between the thicker ball end and where the shaft starts.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.