R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-01-2009, 08:33 AM   #1
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 475
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default 2WD Buggy or SC10?

I'm thinking about selling my B4 FT and getting an SC10. I also have a B44 which I love, so I won't be ditching buggy completely.

What do you guys think? Is driving a Slash (I'm assuming the SC10 will the same) more fun than 2wd buggy? Or fun enough to make the trade but still run 4wd buggy?

Craig
CraigV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 08:43 AM   #2
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Vine Grove, KY
Posts: 228
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

Craig, I've never raced a Slash, but have driven one on several occasions and I'm planning to get one. There differences are quite apparent in that a buggy is faster, more responsive, and more difficult to drive. Slashes, kept stock and as must tracks run them, aren't nearly as punchy, responsive and require a different type of driving. The biggest difference is why I'm planning to get one; they are always the biggest electric class wherever you race. I've hit a lot of tracks this season and Slashes are always present in very high numbers. To me, what makes racing RC cars so fun is the competitive enviroment. It's not nearly as fun to race against 5 or 6 buggies as it is to mix it up with two or three heats of Slash racers. It looks like the Slash clash is here to stay and it looks really fun. You should get one...
richard.bratton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 08:44 AM   #3
Tech Master
 
snowboard094's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Sac Town CA
Posts: 1,974
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigV View Post
I'm thinking about selling my B4 FT and getting an SC10. I also have a B44 which I love, so I won't be ditching buggy completely.

What do you guys think? Is driving a Slash (I'm assuming the SC10 will the same) more fun than 2wd buggy? Or fun enough to make the trade but still run 4wd buggy?

Craig
the sc10 will be what you want if you are used to buggy racing. The slash is just a "fun truck". It is more fun bashing a slash than a buggy but not racing. If your into both racing and bashing get a slash. Just racing get an SC10.
__________________
-Electrical wiz-Let me check your shorts.....that came out wrong
"Team Terrible"
Ofna Hyper 10sc
T-maxx O.S .18tm
snowboard094 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 08:54 AM   #4
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 477
Default

run the sc10, run it like the wind!
charly71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 09:00 AM   #5
Tech Regular
 
SCIDA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Wildomar, CA
Posts: 345
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

How about 2WD buggy and an SC10. That will be the best of both worlds. 2whl mod is the best class ever to drive. If you can drive that fast learning anything else will be easy.
SCIDA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 09:05 AM   #6
Suspended
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 481
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigV View Post
I'm thinking about selling my B4 FT and getting an SC10. I also have a B44 which I love, so I won't be ditching buggy completely.

What do you guys think? Is driving a Slash (I'm assuming the SC10 will the same) more fun than 2wd buggy? Or fun enough to make the trade but still run 4wd buggy?

Craig
I'm guessing you race since you have a B44 but to me any vehicle purchase would depend on if there is a class at your track for what you are thinking about getting. Most places the Short Course Truck class has or is catching on and growing and I will say that trucks are more forgiving to drive than 2wd buggies, but whether one or the other is "fun" is up to the individual.

I have an SC10 on the way, but that's me.
Lightin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 09:09 AM   #7
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 475
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Where I race now the biggest class is 2wd open. The last big race had 5 heats of 2wd open, and two for Slash open.

I started with 2WD but I enjoy 4WD more. I usally end up near the bottom of E main (out of A, B, C, D, and E) in 2wd open (running a 17.5 though) and the top of the C main (out of A, B, C, D) in 4wd open. So, to say the least, I am not a very good driver.

I do not bash the B4 or B44, but if I got an SC10 I would probably use it outside once in a while when my body comes over with his RC10GT2 nitro truck.
CraigV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 09:21 AM   #8
Tech Elite
 
y2kgtp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Deltona, FL
Posts: 2,559
Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to y2kgtp Send a message via Yahoo to y2kgtp
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigV View Post
Where I race now the biggest class is 2wd open. The last big race had 5 heats of 2wd open, and two for Slash open.

I started with 2WD but I enjoy 4WD more. I usally end up near the bottom of E main (out of A, B, C, D, and E) in 2wd open (running a 17.5 though) and the top of the C main (out of A, B, C, D) in 4wd open. So, to say the least, I am not a very good driver.

I do not bash the B4 or B44, but if I got an SC10 I would probably use it outside once in a while when my body comes over with his RC10GT2 nitro truck.
Will your track run the SC10 with the Slashes? It looks like it from the description of "Slash open". I'd say order a SC10 and transfer the buggy electronics over to that.
__________________
"Yes my car is technically illegal, but still its either just as fast or slower than any other car on the track so whats the issue with it being illegal?"
y2kgtp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 09:26 AM   #9
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 475
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Yes, they will allow the SC10 in the Slash Open class, which I assume they will rename to CORR Open or something similar. We also run a spec slash class but it's almost dead.

Thanks for the advice guys. I think I'll get my LHS to order an SC10 in for me.
CraigV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 09:27 AM   #10
Tech Fanatic
 
xDaRReLLx87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 836
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kgtp View Post
Will your track run the SC10 with the Slashes? It looks like it from the description of "Slash open". I'd say order a SC10 and transfer the buggy electronics over to that.
I'd keep your buggy and just get a SC10 on the side. Put a 4600KV Losi or Castle Creations motor and ESC, I prefer Castle for fine tuning adjustments.
It may be a good idea to change the shocks on it. It appears to have the same chassis as the XXX-CR, maybe a little shorter. It will be fun once you get it setup for your liking. I totally despise Traxxxas, everything they make is cheaply made and total crap The slash is kinda fun, but the SC10 can accomplish the same level of fun while getting faster lap times. But I drive at least 50 hours a week so I kinda learn to perfect my lap times a tad bit to much

On top of that the SC10 has working lights
__________________
Hyper 9E 2000KV T8/RX8- 4S Turnigy 4500 mah
Ko ProPo EX-1 UR 2.4 ghz, Hitec-7950TH
xDaRReLLx87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 09:41 AM   #11
Suspended
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 481
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by xDaRReLLx87 View Post
I'd keep your buggy and just get a SC10 on the side. Put a 4600KV Losi or Castle Creations motor and ESC, I prefer Castle for fine tuning adjustments.
It may be a good idea to change the shocks on it. It appears to have the same chassis as the XXX-CR, maybe a little shorter. It will be fun once you get it setup for your liking. I totally despise Traxxxas, everything they make is cheaply made and total crap The slash is kinda fun, but the SC10 can accomplish the same level of fun while getting faster lap times. But I drive at least 50 hours a week so I kinda learn to perfect my lap times a tad bit to much

On top of that the SC10 has working lights
As far as brushless systems go the one he has is fine and it is sensored so it is a lot smoother than any amount of fine-tuning you can do to a Mamba, and it is also within the guidlines for the 2009 Roar Rules for the SCT class.
http://www.roarracing.com/downloads/...lass_Rules.pdf

Where did you see "working lights" on the SC10??
Lightin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 09:47 AM   #12
Tech Fanatic
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 839
Default .

.

Last edited by Tim3; 03-29-2012 at 08:20 AM.
Tim3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 09:59 AM   #13
Suspended
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 481
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim3 View Post
YA! just give all your hard earned dollars to AE. Thay are sooo much faster and better than a slash. NOT ! Go ahead and spend much more of your money than just getting a good SLASH. GO AHEAD - and i will be close to you for a hole lot less. YOUR CALL.
....... or get a slash that comes with a throw-a-way radio system and less than desirable RTR electronics, or buy an SC10 and be better off in the long run. EASY CALL !!
Lightin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 10:07 AM   #14
Tech Elite
 
y2kgtp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Deltona, FL
Posts: 2,559
Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to y2kgtp Send a message via Yahoo to y2kgtp
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightin' View Post
....... or get a slash that comes with a throw-a-way radio system and less than desirable RTR electronics, or buy an SC10 and be better off in the long run. EASY CALL !!
Hey....you can get 20$ for that Transmitter & receiver!
__________________
"Yes my car is technically illegal, but still its either just as fast or slower than any other car on the track so whats the issue with it being illegal?"
y2kgtp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 10:12 AM   #15
Suspended
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Everett
Posts: 1,428
Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Is driving a Slash (I'm assuming the SC10 will the same) more fun than 2wd buggy? Or fun enough to make the trade but still run 4wd buggy?
2WD buggy is more fun, IMO. Slash was fun at first, but I'm quickly over it. They drive horrible in comparison and while are fun, it's real nice going back to something "that drives right."

You need both...I don't think I'd bother racing if I only owned a Slash or SC10.
Wes Briscoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tamiya DF-03 type tom_chang79 Electric Off-Road 1048 01-17-2016 10:06 PM
R/C Madness...new location! CarissaF Racing Forum 1540 01-07-2015 07:18 PM
Is Pro4 4wd SC the next big thing? markhat250 Electric Off-Road 182 11-01-2011 11:56 AM
$400 A Main Hobbies Gift Certificate Raffle portyansky R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 588 06-07-2011 11:32 AM
buying sc10 or........... rc_cal Electric Off-Road 10 05-06-2009 11:54 AM
slash / sc10 class evoving gweed Electric Off-Road 680 04-29-2009 01:30 PM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 02:54 AM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net