R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 03-31-2009, 09:11 PM   #31
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by TfnG View Post
i cant wait for everyone to get their SC10's...and stop all this comparing BS.
That's when the real complaining starts.
Lightin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 09:12 PM   #32
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

LOL. u could be right.
TfnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 12:05 PM   #33
Tech Fanatic

Default .

TRAXXAS SLASH
Tim3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 12:05 PM   #34
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to trdsupra88

Quote:
Originally Posted by RB FIVE View Post
bs...

equal electronics to slash rtr this would be it.

In real round numbers:

Slash $199.99
Battery "Irrelevant"
Charger "Irrelevant"
AA bats "Irrelevant"

Total $199.99

SC10 $200
Radio $10.00http://cgi.ebay.com/Traxxas-tq2-radi...3%3A1|294%3A50
Servo $25 http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-TRAXXAS-2075...3%3A1|294%3A50
ESC/motor http://cgi.ebay.com/TRAXXAS-WATERPRO...3%3A1|294%3A50
Battery "Irrelevant"
Charger "Irrelevant"
AA bats "Irrelevant"

Total $280.00-300.00 And you all know you would rather have something better then traxxas electronics anyway.
Thats more like it...200 bucks for a radio system is out of line too...HP has a system for $50 new and a 2.4 system always on sale from $120-150...charger and batteries cancel eachother out...the SC10 is a C-hair more expensive but for the looks and performance it is worth the few extra bucks...
Old 04-01-2009, 12:16 PM   #35
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by trdsupra88 View Post
Thats more like it...200 bucks for a radio system is out of line too...HP has a system for $50 new and a 2.4 system always on sale from $120-150...charger and batteries cancel eachother out...the SC10 is a C-hair more expensive but for the looks and performance it is worth the few extra bucks...

All the guys that said you needed this and that were also the first ones that ran out and spent money on radio gear to go racing, making the whole comparison a wash.
Old 04-01-2009, 12:26 PM   #36
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

The funny thing to me is, not everyone is "Spec" or the same. So for me having stuff laying around i could throw in it....

slash 199.99

sc10 189.99

sc10 is cheaper and better.

Cherokee wants to keep it low budget and race with the kiddies. Thats fine, but me i would welcome the sc10.
Old 04-01-2009, 12:28 PM   #37
Tech Adept

untill yesterday it was $159
http://www.hobbypeople.net/gallery/383286.asp
RC10 gt2
SC10
backyardracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 12:28 PM   #38
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Epay? That is quite a reach. Used, bootleg, or stolen stuff...no thanks.

It does not realy matter, it is no different if you buy any other kit from any mfg. The costs are always greater.

So on a different note.

Lightin' you said you car was set to arrive yesterday....got it built yet...lets see some pics of the build. I can even host the pics for you if needed.
cherokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 12:33 PM   #39
Tech Legend

A $200 Slash that will get beat all day long by a $179 Sc-10,
is not a good deal ....
Wild Cherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 12:37 PM   #40
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokee View Post
Epay? That is quite a reach. Used, bootleg, or stolen stuff...no thanks.

It does not realy matter, it is no different if you buy any other kit from any mfg. The costs are always greater.

So on a different note.

Lightin' you said you car was set to arrive yesterday....got it built yet...lets see some pics of the build. I can even host the pics for you if needed.
The (ROAR-approved) Lipo pack and BL system I ordered for it came in.
No truck yet, UPS sites still says "IN TRANSIT."

Kits only cost more to backyard bashers, while racers would be ditching the stock RTR crap that comes in it (in most cases getting nothing for it) so in the greater scheme kits cost racers less money overall.
Old 04-01-2009, 12:38 PM   #41
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by RB FIVE View Post
The funny thing to me is, not everyone is "Spec" or the same. So for me having stuff laying around i could throw in it....

slash 199.99

sc10 189.99

sc10 is cheaper and better.

Cherokee wants to keep it low budget and race with the kiddies. Thats fine, but me i would welcome the sc10.
No I want people to be realistic, I think that a good amount of new folks visit this site, and this segment of the hobby is the biggest bringer in of new blood in ages, those people deserve to know real costs, not artificially low costs on ebay hardware.

In this day in age where people are loosing their jobs, spending 200 for a car is an extravance. Spending 200 on a kit then having to buy everything that it takes to make the kit go and not trying to let those people know up front costs is irresponsible.

Unless your mommy and daddy are footing the bill for you....or you are living at home with mommy and daddy and have no real bills.

Personally I think that it is going to be a fine car, everything I have ever bought from AE has been top drawer. But if someone is thinking they can get one running for a c-note more then a slash (unless you already have stuff) you are kidding yourself. It is "Irrelevant" what kind of car we are talking about.
Old 04-01-2009, 12:39 PM   #42
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Cherry View Post
A $200 Slash that will get beat all day long by a $179 Sc-10,
is not a good deal ....
It is a good deal if you want your new trackside nickname to be "Backmarker."
Old 04-01-2009, 12:50 PM   #43
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokee View Post
No I want people to be realistic, I think that a good amount of new folks visit this site, and this segment of the hobby is the biggest bringer in of new blood in ages, those people deserve to know real costs, not artificially low costs on ebay hardware.

In this day in age where people are loosing their jobs, spending 200 for a car is an extravance. Spending 200 on a kit then having to buy everything that it takes to make the kit go and not trying to let those people know up front costs is irresponsible.

Unless your mommy and daddy are footing the bill for you....or you are living at home with mommy and daddy and have no real bills.

Personally I think that it is going to be a fine car, everything I have ever bought from AE has been top drawer. But if someone is thinking they can get one running for a c-note more then a slash (unless you already have stuff) you are kidding yourself. It is "Irrelevant" what kind of car we are talking about.
Being realistic, what's wrong with your whole premise is when that same kid shows up at the track and inevitably has radio issues and when he and his dad walks into the hobby shop and the guy behind the counter points at a $300 set-up.......... and the dad rolls his eyes and says, "The whole truck including radio didn't cost that, and now you want more money? No freaking way!!"

If we are going to be realistic we need to guide people away from cheaply made, cheaply assembled, mass-produced RTR cars and trucks with cheap/problematic electronics and get them back into Kits where they have the experience of actually building their truck so they don't come on RCTech and ask "You mean to tell me you have to adjust the slipper?"

RC10s cost more than 100-bucks 20 years ago, and SC10s aren't out of line with inflation or the economy. In comparison, today is the cheapest time ever to get into the hobby.

RTRs are fine for backyard bashers that run infrequently.
KITs are for racing and racers.
Old 04-01-2009, 12:57 PM   #44
Tech Fanatic

Linhtin, how can I say this. YOU ARE AN EDIT! Y.. SON.... stop leading people in too thinking that you know something about something, go away.

Last edited by Tim3; 04-01-2009 at 01:03 PM. Reason: ..
Tim3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 01:03 PM   #45
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightin' View Post
Kits only cost more to backyard bashers, while racers would be ditching the stock RTR crap that comes in it (in most cases getting nothing for it) so in the greater scheme kits cost racers less money overall.
I agree in part, most racers are going to replace RTR stuff, but the point is that you don't have to. The RTR stuff is not THAT bad. I have seen new people to the hobby running RTR AE and Losi cars. Then if they decide that racing is for them they have the option to change out equipment.

I am not so sure that it costs less money in the long run, I have used RTR stuff in getting some of my old vintage stuff going again, my old Frog and RC10 have modern RTR stuff in them. If you don't have a use for that stuff you can always put it on Ebay for people to use for building estimates on what it costs to get a car up and going