Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Clicking & Hesitating with Losi E-Eight 2.0 >

Clicking & Hesitating with Losi E-Eight 2.0

Clicking & Hesitating with Losi E-Eight 2.0

Old 03-30-2009, 12:29 PM
Tech Initiate

Default Clicking & Hesitating with Losi E-Eight 2.0

Hi guys I have a question I am a newbie and you have all helped me out in the past. I Bought a Slash and a stampede and had so much fun I decided I wanted to try racing. Well I bought a Losi E-Eight and I have a few questions. When I press the throttle more times then not the gear on the motor and the gear on the center diff will make clicking noises and the car will not engage then all of a sudden it does and it takes off. This takes longer in reverse then in forward, in forward if I ease up on it and then punch it the car will grab and take off. I adjusted the gears like I did it the other cars with a piece of paper between them but these are straight cut steel gears I was wondering if I should be doing something else or if anyone else is having this problem? Thank you
Old 03-30-2009, 12:36 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (95%+)

Originally Posted by johnnyr135
Hi guys I have a question I am a newbie and you have all helped me out in the past. I Bought a Slash and a stampede and had so much fun I decided I wanted to try racing. Well I bought a Losi E-Eight and I have a few questions. When I press the throttle more times then not the gear on the motor and the gear on the center diff will make clicking noises and the car will not engage then all of a sudden it does and it takes off. This takes longer in reverse then in forward, in forward if I ease up on it and then punch it the car will grab and take off. I adjusted the gears like I did it the other cars with a piece of paper between them but these are straight cut steel gears I was wondering if I should be doing something else or if anyone else is having this problem? Thank you
Cogging maybe? What electronics are you running it?
Old 03-30-2009, 12:43 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I adjusted the gears like I did it the other cars with a piece of paper between them but these are straight cut steel gears I was wondering if I should be doing something else or if anyone else is having this problem?
I think that right there could be the problem. I run a clutch setup on my truggy with my electric 8ight T and use a lot looser gear mesh than you would on a 10th scale. Shouldn't the direct drive be the same way? Someone correct be if I wrong, but I would try and loosen up the gear mesh a little.
Old 03-30-2009, 12:56 PM
Tech Initiate

Here is a picture of the carClicking & Hesitating with Losi E-Eight 2.0-losi.jpg
Old 03-30-2009, 12:59 PM
Tech Initiate

Should the gears just be touching or inside the gear halfway?
Old 03-30-2009, 01:07 PM
Tech Initiate

What is cogging? I am running the electronics it came with the Excelron 2100KV
Old 03-30-2009, 01:08 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Nice looking car, on my truggy you can hold the spur with one finger and move the clutch bell a little before it hits either tooth. I would say it is maybe somewhere between a quarter and half of the way out from the gear. It's something that I know more so by feel than by actually looking at it, sorry I am not of more help.
Old 03-30-2009, 01:12 PM
Suspended

If you are running substandard batteries that could be a lot of the problem.
Old 03-30-2009, 01:14 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

The should not be touching, but should be a little closer then half way in. A good way to adjust the mesh is use the header off of a package ( or thick paper). Tear a strip off (at least as wide as your gears) then place it in between the spur and the pinion. push them together fairly tight, and then tighten your motor mount screws. Pull out paper and you should have proper spacing. Just rotate the spur and make sure the spacing is consistent all the way around (sometimes the spur or pinion may not be perfectly round). There should be just a little movement between the gears, not very much.

What kind of batteries and electrics do you have in your buggy? If the batteries are not up to the task you will have a delay before the buggy accelerates in either direction.
Old 03-30-2009, 01:44 PM
Tech Initiate

7 Cell 8.4V Venon Nihm battery could that be a problem? I did setup the ESC for the Nihm battery.
Old 03-30-2009, 01:53 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 17 (95%+)

7 Cell 8.4V Venon Nihm battery could that be a problem? I did setup the ESC for the Nihm battery.
That is 100% the problem. Ni-MH packs cannot handle the load that brushless system can provide. You need to get some high C rated Lipos. In the 4S config. The Losi 4S 5000mah 25C is perfect.
Old 03-30-2009, 02:40 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by JGruber
That is 100% the problem. Ni-MH packs cannot handle the load that brushless system can provide. You need to get some high C rated Lipos. In the 4S config. The Losi 4S 5000mah 25C is perfect.
x1

johnnyr135 ~ Your 7-cell NIMH pack is designed to power a 1/10th car and won't have nearly the juice needed to power a 1/8th scale car. You'd need a 12-cell NIMH pack to do the same thing as a 4S Lipo and give you the needed power.

What you were trying to do was power a Dodge Ram 4wd pickup with the engine out of a Honda Civic.